aberdeen-music

Let's talk about gigs

Soda Jerk

First Gig: Brian May on his Back to the Light Tour in (I think June 1993)

Best Gig: There's so many, Paul McCartney at Hampden in 2010, The Eagles in Hampden in 2001, Queen and Paul Rodgers, Fish playing with Marillion again in 2007, The Frankie Miller Tribute gig, but at a push if I had to pick one I'd probably say the first of the Mott the Hoople reunion shows at the Hammersmith Odeon, made more poignant by the news that the drummer Buffin had Alzheimers, and these would be his last ever shows in all probability (Martin Chambers did most of the drumming). Buffin is prbably best known to some as a producer having produced albums for Hanoii rocks and the Cult and even produced 3 of the songs that ended up on incesticide by Nirvana "Turnaround", "Molly's Lips" and "Son of a Gun".

Worst gig: Well i've seen a few, i've seen bands such as The Darkness, the Cheeky Girls (played on the same bill as Fish once), WetWetWet, Chris DeBurgh (I actually really enjoyed CdeB when he wasnt playing his schmaltzy 80's stuff, some cracking songs he did in the 70's) , but without a shadow of a doubt the worst was Gun at the Lemon Tree in about 1994ish, really really terrible, sound was too loud and distorted, he didnt come across well on stage, just wasnt impressed.

First Gig -

Iron Maiden at SECC in 2003, with Funeral For A Friend and Mastodon supporting. Mastodon were the best band that night. Something about an old man running about with a flag, whilst wearing combat trousers with ribbons hanging off of them put me right off Iron Maiden. Funeral For A Friend were crap, and everyone threw pennies at them.

Best Gig -

Either Muse at Reading this year, or any Slipknot gig I've been to (they always put on a good show).

Worst Gig -

Seeing Megadeth live at Download years ago (absolute let-down and just fucking boring) or 30 Seconds to Mars. I despise them, but everyone else wanted to go. It was just shite, and the singer is a complete cock.

First Gig-

Gary Glitter at the AECC in 1992.

I often wish I had a cool first gig story but alas I'm stuck with this. It was okay.

Best Gig-

Rocket From The Crypt at The Lemon Tree....maybe 94 or 95? I can't remember. Obviously not the biggest gig ever but they had such energy.

Worst Gig -

Super Furry Animals. In Aberdeen somewhere, can't remember when. All I remember was walking out half way through as they were utter pish!

I saw Tom Waits and Ry Cooder (with Nick Lowe) in Edinburgh in two consecutive summers. Live music doesn't get much better. Although, The Hold Steady and Les Savy Fav (both earlier this year) were fucking awesome.

Worst gig was more of a disappointment: Nightmare of You at King Tuts quite a few years back, playing like shite while possibly off their tits on mystery pills. Saw them again at Tunnels more recently, and they were miles better. Unfortunately, still totally outgunned by their tour support, Jukebox the Ghost.

This is a great thread, the best gig question is a difficult one and got me thinking I need to go to more gigs.

First Gig-

Idlewild supported by Laeto and someone else I can't remember at the Marriot Hall in Dundee 2001. As far as I remember it was spot on but I have a terrible memory so they may well have been turd.

Best Gig-

Shellac at the Liquid Rooms in 2004 because they were my favourite band at the time (probably still are) and I left the place with my face hurting because I was grinning so much throughout. They were probably a bit better at 10 Years of ATP in 2009 but you can't beat seeing your favourite band for the first time.

Mastodon at Rock City in Nottingham last year is up there too as it was just ridiculously metal and funny.

Worst Gig -

Not too sure about this. I've certainly sat through some terrible bands but ones I can remember walking out of are the Gza in Edinburgh a couple of years ago and Kasabian at the new(er) Westport Bar in Dundee when they were touring their first album. I can't remember why but they must have been awful if I left.

Funny looking back at lots of the gigs on here that people talk about although having promoted a lot of them it does make me glad busting ass promoting or arranging them. Well done to everyone who was involved in putting on these gigs that in some way affected people's lives or got them into going to see live music.

Glad to see Stapleton getting so many mentions.

It'll take me an eternity to think of this.

I saw Tom Waits and Ry Cooder (with Nick Lowe) in Edinburgh in two consecutive summers. Live music doesn't get much better. Although, The Hold Steady and Les Savy Fav (both earlier this year) were fucking awesome.

Worst gig was more of a disappointment: Nightmare of You at King Tuts quite a few years back, playing like shite while possibly off their tits on mystery pills. Saw them again at Tunnels more recently, and they were miles better. Unfortunately, still totally outgunned by their tour support, Jukebox the Ghost.

Bloody hell I booked Jukebox the ghost onto that tour. Stumbled across them in a bar at sxsw when I was heading to a meeting but needed to take a piss and ended up watcgingbthe show.

They're out with James Blunt now.

Interestingly enough, I've just been asked to write an article on some of the more memorable gigs I've been to.

Still thinking about it, but I might mention The Jesus & Mary Chain (Venue 1986); The Cramps (Capital Theatre 1986); The Make Up (Edinburgh Venue 1999); The Pastels/Maher Shalal Hash Baz (Glasgow 13th Note 1999); Circulus (The Tunnels 2006).