aberdeen-music

Deliverance: Meursault + Wounded Knee @ Woodend Barn 16/03/12

Yea, I know this isn't until February but I thought as it's all confirmed we'd be as well start telling everyone. :)

Tickets from here: Deliverance: Meursault + Wounded Knee | Woodend Barn Banchory

Here's the blurb:

Meursault is pronounced "Murr-So"

Edinburgh based musician Neil Pennycook began performing under the name Meursault in 2006 and has forged a path through the forest of dull, try hard indie bands by crafting a sound best described as epic lo-fi. At times soothing folk lament or blistering angst, backed by a band of upto 9 musicians determined to shake the fillings from your teeth and tears from your eyes, Neils voice soars with power and honesty.

Meursault's second album, All Creatures Will Make Merry was released to critical acclaim in 2010 on Edinburghs Song By Toad label, and resulted in a number of festival appearances and tours across Europe. Not content with this, Neil also found time to record an album with Kenny Anderson (otherwise known as King Creosote) and Frances Donnelly (Animal Magic Tricks) called Cold Seeds.

Support comes from Edinburgh's enigmatic Wounded Knee, who builds up layers of music, noise and sounds then sings folk songs over them.

This gig is the second in our Deliverance series luring the best bands from the cities and abandoning them in the country, for your entertainment. All new music, all under a tenner.

8 or 6 concession in advance

9 or 7 concession on the door

There is a regular stagecoach bus service to and from Banchory which costs around 7 return from Aberdeen. The 202 + 203 stop nearest the Woodend Barn and if you get the 201 just jump off at Tesco and walk up the hill. Last bus back from Banchory is 11.50pm but these nights should finish in time for the 10.20ish bus.

That ticket link again: Deliverance: Meursault + Wounded Knee | Woodend Barn Banchory

We don't add a booking fee or any of that jazz but it is a pound more expensive on the door so please buy your tickets in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Babump, I thought I'd point out that this was rescheduled to March 16th due to it clashing with the Clap Your Hands Say Yeah tour which Meursault went on. It's still going to be amazing!

Also, Sparrow and the Workshop have confirmed for the Deliverance on 23rd June. Tickets on sale soon for that one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was pretty damn awesome. thanks to all who came out! New meursault stuff sounds great and it read really nice to see/meet wounded knee who was also really good. Hopefully we'll see more of both them in the future.

Next deliverance is on the 5th of may then we've got sparrow and the workshop on june 23rd!

Meursault were fucking immense. First time I've seen them and they sounded totally different to what I expected, much rockier and the sound was massive. They had me grinning from ear to ear through the whole set. Only complaint was I was expecting it to be longer!

Wounded Knee has a great voice but his guitar playing let him down. Playing every song with the same strumming pattern on a guitar with only two strings just made each song sound identical. You said last night that he normally plays with lots of looping parts so maybe he's just transitioning into a different style.

I'll echo what Chris said. Wounded Knee has a good voice but the songs were a bit too long. It made a huge difference when one of the Meursault drummers joined him.

Meursault were brilliant. Song writing is top notch, dynamic performance, intense and ultimately very watchable. I am really glad I came along, although out of the way, Woodend barn is great venue.

Perhaps to save the expensive taxi fares folk driving there from town could do car share or you could hire a minibus/coach - I can imagine the last suggestion could be overly expensive.

we tried the minibus thing for the first couple but not enough people booked it and we were losing a heap of money on it. maybe once the nights are established and have a proven audience we can revisit that but in the meantime it's a no go.

the bus service is pretty good though and it's only a short walk from the bus stop up to the barn.

Agree with all of the above...

Meursault were great, but should have played for longer. 10pm finish just seemed a little bit of an anti-climax.

I prefer Wounded Knee when he does the looping stuff - didn't really enjoy his set. You can tell he's been working with Alasdair Roberts...

Woodend Barn is a great venue and I'm really looking forward to more Deliverance nights!

Nice one Dave!

• Upvote 1

Agree with all of the above...

Meursault were great, but should have played for longer. 10pm finish just seemed a little bit of an anti-climax.

I prefer Wounded Knee when he does the looping stuff - didn't really enjoy his set. You can tell he's been working with Alasdair Roberts...

Woodend Barn is a great venue and I'm really looking forward to more Deliverance nights!

Nice one Dave!

Damn. I could have gone to this AND been back in time for the jazz gig at The Blue Lamp!