aberdeen-music

Deliverance: Katerwaul + Sarah J Stanley @ Woodend Barn 09/12/11

Deliverance is our new irregular night luring the best bands from the cities and abandoning them in the country. All new music, all under a tenner. Deliverance: Katerwaul + Sarah J Stanley | Woodend Barn Banchory

We're kicking things off with the amazing Katerwaul and support from the wonderous Sarah J Stanley. We bring the bands to a beautiful rural location, away from the usual city centre venues and create a special intimate gig experience showcasing some more contemporary sounds in the Barn.

Katerwaul began in early January 2007, and comprise Tim Courtney, Graham Chamers, Sam Coleman and Nick J. Morrice. Our music comes from different places individually but we all share a great love and passion for the atmosphere and mood of various bands loosely described as 'post-rock' - from, Godspeed you! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Oceansize, Cave-In, Sigur Ros and A Silver Mt Zion to name but 6. Outside of music they seek inspiration from, cinema and literature which all filter though as themes and starting points for discussion and songwriting. Lyrical themes can range from intense personal moments to the World at large as portrayed in some of the film work and books we love.

Sarah J Stanley is a multi-talented musician from Aberdeen. A well known name around the citys music scene, Sarah has built up a fantastic rapport with local promoters, bagging her some respectable support slots over the past few years including; This is the Kit, To Rococo Rot, Bo Ningen, Woodenbox with a Fistful of Fivers, and Jagged Roots own, Panda Su.

Many people will know Sarah as a melodic acoustic singer songwriter, whilst others will know her as a producer of dirty electronic beats.

We're really rather excited to be putting on these nights and hope you are too. Please share them on facebook and twitter to help spread the word!

8/6 in advance

9/7 on the door

Doors are at 7.30pm, first band on around 8ish and you can buy tickets here: Deliverance: Katerwaul + Sarah J Stanley | Woodend Barn Banchory

There is a regular stagecoach bus service to and from Banchory which costs around 7 return from Aberdeen. The 202 + 203 stop nearest the Woodend Barn and if you get the 201 just jump off at Tesco and walk up the hill. Last bus back from Banchory is 11.50pm but these nights should finish in time for the 10.20ish bus.

How frequently do you reckon these will be? I know it says irregular...

i'd say once or twice every 3 months. we want to keep them as special events which complement our existing programming and not just bang in heaps of them. simple reason for this is if we do them too often I don't think people would come.

we already do a great range of other gigs, theatre and dance stuff (King Creosote is coming up in November, I should probably add that too) so this is just to help introduce the Barn to a new audience really. If they're a success then we can do more, if no one comes then we'll try something else.

We've also got Bill Thompsons excellent Burning Harpsichord series starting in September with Robert Curgenven and Patrick Keenan performing: robert-curgenven-patrick keenan | Woodend Barn Banchory

I think in the past we've not advertised much in Aberdeen so a lot of people are unaware of what we do. we'll still focus on our main audience in deeside but we're trying to get better at advertising in town too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think in the past we've not advertised much in Aberdeen so a lot of people are unaware of what we do. we'll still focus on our main audience in deeside but we're trying to get better at advertising in town too.

Never a bad thing advertising in Aberdeen :D - Love post rock stuff like GSYBE!, Explosions in the sky etc this sounds excellent too.

• 2 months later...
This is going to be great. I feel I should probably help with promotion, being one of the few Aberdeen musos out this way. You asked me if I knew of anywhere to put up posters, and I don't really know. If I can be of any assistance though, give me a holler.

We just need the word spread really, the first event is this Saturday with The Hazey Janes then we've got Katerwaul soon after. We just need people to support this night and come along, so long as it doesn't lose money we'll keep putting them on. There's a will for these to succeed and we genuinely want to bring some exciting bands to Banchory. If we can prove there's a good audience then we can bring even better bands up.

If you're feeling like really treating yourselves then you should book a table in the restaurant before the gig. The food's amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

This is tomorrow!

Unfortunately Sarah has had to pull out due to illness but we've got the rather talented Davy Shanks supporting instead. Not enough people bought a ticket for the bus so we had to cancel it, if you're planning on coming then there is a regular bus service out to Banchory on the 201, 202 or 203 from Aberdeen. Get off at Tescos and it's a short walk from there.

tickets still available in advance from the Barn website or you can buy them on the door but it'll cost a pound extra.

This was really good. I suppose the turn out wasn't great though. What really irks me is when people in Banchory complain that there's never anything to do, and then when there is they "can't be assed" and "just want to go to the pub" like you do... every weekend. :mad:

it'll take time to get through to them. glad you went along and enjoyed it moose.

we've got some ideas on how to up the promotion across the board for these nights, but ultimately the best tool we'll have is people who enjoy them just telling their friends and building up a strong core audience who come back to each one. the next one is meursault on the 17th of february which should be an absolute cracker.