aberdeen-music

Small Venues

Guest E.C

Hello,

Got a couple shows on the horizon I am booking, and I was looking for somewhere other than Tunnels/Drummonds. Was looking for somewhere reasonably sized, but also quite cheap to hire. Some options have already been eliminated (East Neuk/Malt Mill/Portals/Project Slogan) so I'm looking for some smaller venues that I could put a show on at.

Any help appreciated. Teabags, what's the scoop with the Palace of Crust?

Because if you keep it at a sane level, they are cool with an electric band. It's the guy in a flat upstairs that's the problem.

I could put that into pet hates thread. If you've got any issues with noise, you shouldn't be a venue. I know soundproofing is mega pricey and all but the acceptable level at some venues is shocking.* A loud band should be able to play loud.

*not a clue what it's like at C35

I could put that into pet hates thread. If you've got any issues with noise, you shouldn't be a venue. I know soundproofing is mega pricey and all but the acceptable level at some venues is shocking.* A loud band should be able to play loud.

*not a clue what it's like at C35

They are up front about the volume thing when you book the gig. If you show up and play too loud after they've warned you, it's your fault. But it's a small room too, and if you play too loud it sounds like shit in there. Pull it back a bit and the acoustics are great. Even for an electric band....

They are up front about the volume thing when you book the gig. If you show up and play too loud after they've warned you, it's your fault. But it's a small room too, and if you play too loud it sounds like shit in there. Pull it back a bit and the acoustics are great. Even for an electric band....

Aye, it's all fine and well if they warn you etc. It's just the whole notion of a place that plays music having to be noise regulated I don't like. I suppose the amount of places with zero sound issues is limited but still.

Last time I was in Cellar they had some kinda wierd techno night on - new management trying new things to pull more punters.

I've never been back. It's a shame because I fucking love the place but IMO they need to sort their shit out when it comes to gigs. Lose the piece of shit house drum kit and either upgrade it or tell promoters to supply one because anyone playing that sounds like cock. It could be an amazing little venue, I caught the Hijacks there and it was an ace night. It just feels like they are trying to do the quiet, quanit little pub while still being a venue. That'd work if they only did acoustic gigs but as it is they are far too erratic in their bookings IMO. They should carve out a niche and stay there.

xx

So...? I'm getting a strong "dont book Cellar 35" vibe from this.

Any more ideas?

I'd push with a more "talk to the management about exactly what you're after/expecting before you do, but they are worth talking to" is the vibe I'd like to give out.

Not sure about how it qualifies for being 'small' but tunnel 2 is maybe an option...?

xx