aberdeen-music

Drum Blisters

MC Nice Andrew

Played with sticks that were a lot thicker than I'm used to the other day and now my left hand is teeming with blisters, notably a big horrible cracked one at the bottom of of my left index finger.

Not playing isn't really an option at the moment; normally I would take a break to let it heal.

Can anyone give me some advice on remedies to play through the pain/blister? I've tried fabric plasters, though they just seem to come off.

Ta.

Played with sticks that were a lot thicker than I'm used to the other day and now my left hand is teeming with blisters, notably a big horrible cracked one at the bottom of of my left index finger.

Not playing isn't really an option at the moment; normally I would take a break to let it heal.

Can anyone give me some advice on remedies to play through the pain/blister? I've tried fabric plasters, though they just seem to come off.

Ta.

Compeed is the best stuff for blisters.....have only used it on my feet, but i guess you could cut off a small piece to cover the blister on your hand. Suggest you fix it in place with zinc oxide tape which tends to have stronger adhesive than most fabric plasters.

....oh, and don't hold your sticks so tight! :-)

Compeed is the best stuff for blisters.....have only used it on my feet, but i guess you could cut off a small piece to cover the blister on your hand. Suggest you fix it in place with zinc oxide tape which tends to have stronger adhesive than most fabric plasters.

....oh, and don't hold your sticks so tight! :-)

Sounds pretty reasonable, iv used compeed myself - was like wearing an extra layer of skin, so it stands to reason it would work the same on my hand.

Theeeeeaaanks!

I don't think gloves are the best option, if you can bare it, probably loosen off your grip a little and let your skin callous and toughen up. Through rock climbing, drumming, cycling and working with ropes my hands are pretty much impervious to all feeling these days.

Agreed. I cycle pretty much every day and the callouses on the palm are ballin'.

Though its not necessarily my grip that is the issue; playing with sticks I am comfortable with and there is generally no issues, though the bigger sticks gave my hands a right old time. Was just looking for a quick fix as I've gigs and practices heaps this week.

Quick fix = superglue.

As long as you're careful not to touch anything until it dries obviously, just spread a layer of superglue over the blister, it dries hard and protects it for long enough to keep playing.

I used to use it quite a lot when touring, just to keep going, after I saw Flea basically fill in a hole in his thumb on a RHCP video once.

• 2 weeks later...

Go for a pair of Ahead gloves. They save your hands and help prevent stick drops. If you sand paper the laquer of your sticks it's best to put some 'Sex Wax' on them if you gp down the gloves route. I played for years without gloves and only started using them a couple of years ago. Like others said they take a bit of getting use to, but they are a god send for your hands.

i could never get the hang of gloves, just never seemed to feel right for me, the wax was quite good but left your hands feeling mingning for the rest of the night. Frostie's suggestion with the glue is a good idea, but can be a bit dangerous but the best idea is to play as much as possible until your hands go hard in the areas the sticks rub

i could never get the hang of gloves, just never seemed to feel right for me, the wax was quite good but left your hands feeling mingning for the rest of the night. Frostie's suggestion with the glue is a good idea, but can be a bit dangerous but the best idea is to play as much as possible until your hands go hard in the areas the sticks rub

Agree, everyone said gloves was the best option, though i always felt detached from the sticks - didn't have the patience to see if it could help.

The blister plaster/zinc oxide tape worked very well, will be relying on this should i every play unknowingly with larger sticks again.

Thanks abdy.

• 3 weeks later...