aberdeen-music

Oil leaking into the north sea near Aberdeen

You seem to be doing it for them... As illuminating and appreciated as it is, are you supposed to be telling us this stuff?

The only figure that is restricted is the actual estimated tonnage from the initial leak. I only offered an approximate estimate.

I just wanted to highlight that the environmental impact is very very minimal, which is what I assume most people are most concerned about.

It doesn't help that Shell are being quite guarded and keeping their cards to their chests. The government are trying to encourage them to be more publically open regarding the incident, it seems.

Given how wildly inaccurate the early information coming from BP was during the Macondo disaster, I'm not surprised Shell are being guarded about their press releases.

As you said yourself, quantifying the seriousness of the spill is far from straightforward, so given that Shell probably don't accurately know themselves, what information would you have them provide? I'd rather get the correct answer than a load of speculative bullshit.

Given how wildly inaccurate the early information coming from BP was during the Macondo disaster, I'm not surprised Shell are being guarded about their press releases.

As you said yourself, quantifying the seriousness of the spill is far from straightforward, so given that Shell probably don't accurately know themselves, what information would you have them provide? I'd rather get the correct answer than a load of speculative bullshit.

Totally. Not disputing any of that.

I'm sure we'd all rather the press didn't jump on any old figures that do the rounds, though; which appears to be happening. But I guess there are different agendas at play whenever the press is involved. :down:

The comments section for every article on this topic on the PeeJ website is great for shits 'n' giggles. Clueless buffoonery for the win! Who cares how little you know about the reality of the oil industry, let's just wade in with some gung-ho pish....

excellent, I'll check that out! I've already heard chat like "why didn't they shut the BOP" :up:

haven't you just described everyone on the internet ever?

Well, yes, I suppose so. There seems to be an unusual gathering of dimwits on the P&J comments section though.

Any UTG-orientated story is great. Basically the exact same slew of posts EVERY time. I think some folk probably just have their input held on a Word document for an easy cut and paste.