aberdeen-music

Anyone considered a group purchase of guitars/basses direct from the manufacturers?

keeno

Being the sad person I am, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time researching stuff on the internet looking for an affordable version of my 'ideal' guitar. Obviously the great solution would be to self build or order a custom but I don't have the skills or cash. I keep finding very similar guitars by several companies and as you would expect, turns out they are all purchased from the same company and are just custom built with different specs or inlays. With a bit of digging I actually managed to find links and how to order from this company. I even found people who have done this before and the prices they got them for is incredible value!

To give you some idea the following companies order from the same factory but none of them sell exactly what I was looking for. When they do have these in stock they seem to be the first ones to sell out!

Woodo Guitars

ELECTRIC GUITARS

HK-Instruments... jeder Insider kennts

Now here is the company they buy them from and if you are a fan of natural finishes like me this is basically just a giant wank bank and they offer plenty of other flamed tops and standard finishes. If you check the woodo or raven west sites they offer a lot more information about the exact construction of the guitars.

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0009.jpg

and the full catalogue including basses is here -> ECECTRIC GUITARS If you click 'legendary guitars' the catalogue is massive.

I've read about a group of Finnish people who had done bulk orders from the company several times and they said that the ones I would be interested in (SS, TC1, S2) worked out between 175 and 230 euros including shipping and taxes. Prices have probably gone up since then and I'm no expert on taxes but we may well have higher import duty than Finland. They also appointed one person to deal with the transaction and handing/ distribution of the guitars who effectively got a small piece of commission for dealing with everything and also covered fuel costs involved, so that really is accounting for nearly every charge that can be forseen!

Someone also inquired about a run of instruments a while back and was told that as it was a busy period, a minimum of 24 instruments had to be ordered. Given these aren't sold directly within the UK (as far as I am aware, haven't seen anything like this that doesn't require import) and it sounds like it would work out much cheaper would anyone else be interested in ENQUIRING about a mass order?

Plenty of info available about these online. Most complaints are just about factory setup (intonation, fret dressing etc, standard on new guitars which a set up would rectify) and it seems when properly set up they are good instruments. I've bought guitars from Rondo Music (Rondo Music Home Page) who sell on these types of instruments the high end Agiles,which start at $225 all the way up to over $1000, I have bought were Korean made, like the Wolf guitars that would be ordered) and the build quality has been good and they look good and play nicely. If you google any of the suppliers listed above you will find a lot of positive 'value for money' type reviews and that is with the retailers profit margin included. IF an order is done, it may well be possible to get these for quite a bit cheaper than the retailer prices (even excluding bulk order discounts the factory will offer).

I will ask around my friends to gauge feedback, but would anyone else here be interested, based on the models you can find online? Obviously this is not a commitment, but if I get an idea of numbers and models, I or someone else can make a pricing enquiry.

Or if you have lots of money I've basically just made a business plan for you so I wouldn't mind a free guitar ;)

EDIT: I've found out tax here is actually slightly less than in Finland. VAT there is 23% + 3.2% duty on acoustic or 3.7% duty on electric or bass guitars. Obviously in the UK it's 20% + 3.2% or 3.7% so a slight saving. It all depends on if the guitars have gone up in price much in the last 2 years or not, shipping to the UK should be about the same price as Finland.

No one remotely interested? If I can get quotes anything like these from 2 years ago these are total bargains even if you need to pay for a professional setup. Build quality on Korean guitars is solid and if the prices haven't changed much for less than the price of a squier you could end up with one of these.

Woodo%20GTC2%20Mahogany%20Green%20Front.jpg

Woodo%20GTC4%20Mahogany%20Front.jpg

or for the more adventurous

Woodo%20GSS%20Spalted%20Maple%20TOM%20Front.jpg

All these are Woodo guitars from the Wolf factory I would be ordering from and are not too dissimilar from the wolf stock models. The tele style guitars retail for the equivalent of 500 and the RG style guitars are about 700. Woodo Guitars

Bass guitars and acoustics too

01_008.jpg

02_007.jpg

It's a cool idea but I have to say that I can't stand the look of most of those guitars! Hope you get something sorted though.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose! I posted them as they were more unique and not straight rip offs of standard fender/gibson finishes. They do of course do these (and I think they will be much cheaper too due to not requiring all the exotic wood tops)

The only problem I can see with these ones is the 'hard wood' body. Probably a cheaper one like agathis or NATO, maybe the basswood at a push. Would like that elaborated on with a quote of course!

11_002.jpg

11_004.jpg

11_006.jpg

11_024.jpg

11_057.jpg

11_066.jpg

11_069.jpg

11_082.jpg

They also made some rather bizarre looking things

11_009.jpg

Id be interested in this. Would need to know solid figures etc before signing anything but im very interested.

Xx

If I can get around 10 instruments that people want I will probably send off the email then with the instruments from the catalogues people are interested in (maybe with a list of alterations?). Especially if it is a custom run. Personally, I like fretboards with no markers. The only ones I really like are the vine ones, but they would look pretty bad once worn away. I may also ask for blank headstocks unless people can agree on a design! I know they let you do this, but I don't know what the minimum order would be.

At the moment I would be getting at least 2, and have a friend interested. If it does happen I may well just save up and buy a few extra to sell on, might well muster up enough interest to do a bigger order next time.

If I can get around 10 instruments that people want I will probably send off the email then with the instruments from the catalogues people are interested in (maybe with a list of alterations?). Especially if it is a custom run. Personally, I like fretboards with no markers. The only ones I really like are the vine ones, but they would look pretty bad once worn away. I may also ask for blank headstocks unless people can agree on a design! I know they let you do this, but I don't know what the minimum order would be.

At the moment I would be getting at least 2, and have a friend interested. If it does happen I may well just save up and buy a few extra to sell on, might well muster up enough interest to do a bigger order next time.

Twould be a bass I'd be after, with a Maple fretboard. I don't want a wolf fret marker but would only want the vines if it was in a dark colour against the maple.

Those are the only customisations I'd be after.. I think. Will have a proper browse later on - the catalogs don't open on my phone.

xx

Personally I'd rather buy all the bits and put them together myself. :)

I had a look at this and to get a custom made body and neck from warmoth was $925 in the exact specs I want! That's before shipping and tax. Would be 800ish for that then would have to buy everything else on top of that. Don't know of a company in the UK offering a similar service, just full build guitars. Another problem is the fact I'd want to build at least a couple of guitars before even attempting to work on something so expensive for fear of messing everything up.

I don't see the point in getting a custom and not getting your dream instrument as you're going to be spending a tidy amount on it. Over 1000+ vs a reasonably similar spec korean instrument (minus some of the really exotic woods I was wanting) for <400 including the cost of pickup changes is no contest at this stage in my life!

The dream custom can wait at least a couple of years until I graduate and get a job with decent pay!

I had a look at this and to get a custom made body and neck from warmoth was $925 in the exact specs I want! That's before shipping and tax. Would be 800ish for that then would have to buy everything else on top of that. Don't know of a company in the UK offering a similar service, just full build guitars. Another problem is the fact I'd want to build at least a couple of guitars before even attempting to work on something so expensive for fear of messing everything up.

I don't see the point in getting a custom and not getting your dream instrument as you're going to be spending a tidy amount on it. Over 1000+ vs a reasonably similar spec korean instrument (minus some of the really exotic woods I was wanting) for <400 including the cost of pickup changes is no contest at this stage in my life!

The dream custom can wait at least a couple of years until I graduate and get a job with decent pay!

Depends on how fussy you want to be with your specs, you can get a cheap body (like I did) from these guys

Tele Style Bodies

Then just buy a second hand neck off ebay or whatever, your choice of pickups and bam, great guitar for 200. Here's one that I put together,

172829_501235357363_573972363_6030147_364867_o.jpg

If you are a bit more flush these guys also do highly rated bodies.

Guitar Bodies

MJT Custom Aged Guitar Finishes Photo Gallery

Depends on how fussy you want to be with your specs, you can get a cheap body (like I did) from these guys

Tele Style Bodies

Then just buy a second hand neck off ebay or whatever, your choice of pickups and bam, great guitar for 200. Here's one that I put together,

Guitar Bodies

How much did the neck set you back?

I'm after a 24fret maple fingerboard bass neck, ideally with a paddle-style haedstock...

xx

EDIT: HOLY FUCK that site is a steal! $42 for a p-bass type neck. Not 24fret, mind, but considering the cheapest I tracked down elsewhere was 120 for the same thing.... How's the build quality of it?

xx

How much did the neck set you back?

I'm after a 24fret maple fingerboard bass neck, ideally with a paddle-style haedstock...

xx

EDIT: HOLY FUCK that site is a steal! $42 for a p-bass type neck. Not 24fret, mind, but considering the cheapest I tracked down elsewhere was 120 for the same thing.... How's the build quality of it?

xx

The neck came off a Squier tele. A guy I know was selling one with Bare Knuckle pickups installed for 80. So neck, pickups and electronics cost me 80.

Build quality on the body is superb, although one of the neck holes was slightly misaligned which caused me some headaches. It's made out of a wood called Paulownia which is superlight. Only problem is, I can barely play my other guitars now, I'm so used to this super light tele.

The neck came off a Squier tele. A guy I know was selling one with Bare Knuckle pickups installed for 80. So neck, pickups and electronics cost me 80.

Build quality on the body is superb, although one of the neck holes was slightly misaligned which caused me some headaches. It's made out of a wood called Paulownia which is superlight. Only problem is, I can barely play my other guitars now, I'm so used to this super light tele.

Hmmmm... Ok so you what you've got there is a sexy looking squier tele with a super-light body then...?

This idea intrigues me.... If I can get cheap enough pups to make this feasible I think I'll finally make my PingRay.... Only arse is gonna be trying to source a 24fret neck instead of the standard 19/20.

xx

Well, not really a Squier, the guy I bought it from had already replaced the electronics when he did the pickups. The bridge is Squier, but it came off a different Squier, a Classic Vibe. :)

The only things left from the Squier I bought are the neck and tuners.

Plus I replaced the decal, here's Bigsby Jr modelling it.

173089_501236747363_573972363_6030158_5952378_o.jpg

Well, not really a Squier, the guy I bought it from had already replaced the electronics when he did the pickups. The bridge is Squier, but it came off a different Squier, a Classic Vibe. :)

The only things left from the Squier I bought are the neck and tuners.

Plus I replaced the decal, here's Bigsby Jr modelling it.

173089_501236747363_573972363_6030158_5952378_o.jpg

Ahh of course of course the pups were new too.

Must admit I'm currently slack-arseing at work looking at prices for a neck. Might just pick up a vintage jazz-style one and get this project moving and keep an eye out for an extended one on the cheap for a possible upgrade/new build.

That site is a goldmine though, if you know any other good (CHEAP) ones other than the likes of allparts, fire them my way!

Cheers!

Also - OP, I'm still interested in the idea of a bulk buy so keep me up to speed on that, too.

The wife is gonna have my balls...

xx

Tele Style Bodies

Guitar Bodies

I'll vouch for MJT, great customer service and prices. I've basically gotten my ideal Jazzmaster from them for less than what it would cost to buy a Fender Classic Player new.

Tele Style Bodies

Guitar Bodies

These sites almost ubiquitously stock Tele and strat style bodies only. I don't really like the look of scratchplates so front mounted electronics is a no go area. Plus I just want a nice piece of wood with a clear satin finish! I've seen a couple of bodies on ebay that looked good, but the only one I desperately wanted was a custom made swamp ash 7 string body.... trying to find a neck for that would be a nightmare. Making one would be the only option.

I would probably get something like this before attempting a more expensive build. There are cheaper kits online (you can get guitar kits for 50 on ebay but they are plywood bodies and probably gash electronics.... cheap but I'd rather have a playable guitar at the end!)

DIY Guitar Shop | DIY Tele, Jazzmaster, SG, LP, and Jazz bass style Electric Guitar kit Builder Kits... Left-handed too!

Warmoth is still the only company that do the full range of stuff I want and they let you choose a lot of options. It is frightening how much you can spend though! I could save some money from the cost of the Warmoth build by doing things like tinishing the body myself, but I would rather pay to have a professional do it than ruin an incredibly expensive body!

Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Begin Body Builder

This company also do fully custom builds but I've read mixed things about them. I'm told they used to be horrible but now they employ their own staff and build in the USA things are improving but still read some bad things in amongst the good. They also auction custom build packages off on ebay where you get the basic custom for the price of the auction instead of the $700+ flat rate. One went a few days ago for $450. Welcome to the Halo Custom Shop! :: Halo Custom Guitar - Baritone Guitar - Custom Bass - 8 String Guitar - Guitar Repair San Jose

If this goes ahead (depending on price, and what is avalible and what we'd get etc) I'd be in,

Woodo Guitars

The 7 string Walnut Bass on there is really nice! Though i'd prefer it to have some inlays/fret markers... and another string or two haha

If you go to the Wolf guitars site and click 2010 new instruments... is it the WHTB-7W you're looking on a quote for? The wolf stock model doesn't have inlays so I can ask about getting some, normal dot inlays? it will have fret markers on the side of the neck like most guitars do if they are not on the fretboard.

I keep meaning to email them but have been rather busy recently. Been over 2 weeks since my last day off and had three 12 hour shifts last week. Still hopefully I should be able to afford a few with all that work :p

Incidentally, I won one of these brand new raven west guitars for a huge saving on ebay last week (so I can report back on quality given it is from the same factory. If anyone wants a go when it arrives hit me up. Shipped on Friday so I should have it by the start of September). I put in a lowball offer which was much less than they normally auction for a few hours before the auction ended and somehow won.

RAVEN WEST ELECTRIC GUITAR 650 BLEMISH | eBay

Ooh, did you? Please post pics and any useful info about the process. :)

IMG_0779.jpg

MJT were great. They get their necks from Allparts or Musikcraft and the bodies from a small firm in Corona, California. My level of customisation was that I got a 50's V shaped maple neck with CBS style headstock, and a swamp ash body. Then you factor in the finish (nitrocellulose) and aging. The hardware was all supplied (I had a Mustang bridge fitted instead of a standard Jazzmaster) aged as well. The only thing I'm not happy with is the Allparts tremolo, but I suspected as much, so I'm saving my pennies to get a Fender American Vintage Reissue from eBay. MJT does not fit electrics however, but since I wanted a simple volume and 3 way switch, I had no problems doing it myself. I fitted Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups and it sounds amazing.

It wasn't all rosey though, as I had to drill holes for the tremolo, string tree and pickguard. More daunting was enlarging the thimble holes that fit the bridge. I also had to shape the synthetic bone nut and shim the neck. The trem cavity was also not drilled for an earthing wire, so I had to earth it to the bridge, not ideal but apparently how early Jazzmasters were done. I was repeatedly told that all I would need to put the guitar together was a screwdriver and this was clearly not the case. You need knowledge of how yr particular guitar goes together, else you'd have to take the parts to a professional.

I've gotten a fantastic guitar for the money (cheaper than a Mexican Classic Player Jazzmaster) but putting it together was not for a novice. It's probably so much easier for a Strat or Tele.

I'd recommend MJT, but you have to know what yr doing.

If you go to the Wolf guitars site and click 2010 new instruments... is it the WHTB-7W you're looking on a quote for? The wolf stock model doesn't have inlays so I can ask about getting some, normal dot inlays? it will have fret markers on the side of the neck like most guitars do if they are not on the fretboard.

Thats the one!

If nothing extra is avalible i'd settle for bog standard model as getting it for a lower price is nice enough for me!

but Oval inlays if possible on the 1st fret as well as the normal 5/7/9/12/15/17/19/21/24 would be ideal other wise dot inlays would be fine! (I don't want to be too fussy you see)

Cheers man :)

(If it's not too much hassle could you get a quote for that and the TBK version? Sorry to be a pain! if not thats totally cool as if it's the same price/not much more i'd have too choose based on looks)

How cools would it be if they did total custom builds for like 300 haha :gringo: