aberdeen-music

Lana Del Rey

Paranoid Android

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Crazily my remix was featured today on San Francisco blog Indie Shuffle. http://www.indieshuffle.com/lana-del-rey-video-games-lockah-remix/

The track has been downloaded 31 times so far today pushing it above the 100 downloads mark! This is definitely one of the bigger ones I've done I think...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

OK, so after it reaching 22 last night on the hypem chart (i have photographic evidence!) and sitting at 310 downloads this morning, Universal have filed a claim against my soundcloud account for copyright infringement. Well done major labels, keep stamping out that piracy and you'll be rolling in cash again in no time!

I'm working on finding a suitable alternative host, maybe with a coupla tweaks to the mix as the kick was a bit OTT for the club.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5983&Itemid=206

A note to Alternative Music Scribes having trouble with Lana Del Rey

Hi!

We are aware that you have been having trouble with Lana Del Rey for some time now. When you know that a relationship isn't working it is somtimes hard to move forward but we just want to let you know that it is alright to make a clean break. And maybe the right time is now. Maybe now it is time to let go of Lana Del Rey. And that is fine. Do not feel guilt. She is safe in the arms of pop.

Why now? Well, she's got a proper single out this week. This is the one that's supposed to be 'the big one'. And yes we know the accidental Top 10 hit last year confused you a bit, because you weren't sure whether you were already supposed to have bailed on her by that point, so your end-of-2011 year in review articles were a bit muddled. You didn't know what you were supposed to think any more, but that does not matter any more because, like we say, you can walk away right now with your dignity.

And there's no need to feel bad that it hasn't worked out. You've given it a good go. You've had your chance to impose your boring ideas of authenticity onto a pop creation, to express your disgust that she might be better in the studio than on the stage. That's the way you like to judge things and that's fine, it's just that this isn't how pop works, and Lana Del Rey is a pop thing. A hot, melodic, major label-signed pop thing.

You were probably starting to realise about ten weeks ago that the whole Lana Del Rey 'proposition' was a bit less complex than you'd made it out to be. You realised that her music didn't really sound like anything else you wrote about, but you still wanted her to be 'your' pop princess. The Britney of alt! Maybe the David Sneddon co-writes were the last straw, maybe it was the cover of Q Magazine. But isn't that still interesting in a looking-at-it-from-the-outside sort of way? Not really, but we admire you for trying to keep that going.

The point is, you've had your opportunities to big her up and knock her down and do this and do that. You've had the leaks and the 'leaks' and the streams and the mixes. Oh, those mixes! The mixes were made just for you! We know that made you feel special. And now you feel betrayed because she was just like all the other girls, with their blog-friendly positioning and their secret fantasies of a Top 10 hit. We know you're upset and we know you're angry but please don't talk about being used. You want to be used. You want to be a tastemaker. You want to be the one PRs and pluggers and labels come to when they want to launch a new artist. You want to decide when things are good or bad and you want the comments on your blog articles from the people who disagree. Well you've had all that. You've done all you can. You've done your thinkpieces and your polls and your faceoffs. You've had your traffic. There is nothing more you can say or print or publish or broadcast to change things now.

So let her succeed or fail on her own terms. These are the terms of the popstar, for that is what she is. If she succeeds she succeeds as a popstar; if she fails, she fails as one too. Leave her to the mainstream chat shows. Leave her to the daytime radio playlists. Leave her to the Top 10, or the Top 40, or the Top Wherever-She-Ends-Up. Because that is what this was all leading up to. Don't act all surprised. It is not our fault you do not understand this popstar. We know you are embarrassed that you got it wrong, and we know you're not sure how to handle the situation now. Do you continue the support? Do you lash out? Do you try to do both at the same time because you're not sure how many records she's going to sell and you want to maybe keep your readers on side? The answer is easy. If you don't feel that she's part of your world, let her drift away while you go back to plotting that definitive Bon Iver thinkpiece.

Yes we know you'll be writing articles about how right you were if she succeeds or how wrong your peers were if she fails by the time the end of 2012 reviews roll around. We know she'll either be the multi-platinum pop creation you created or the faker who deserved everything she got. So why not write those thinkpieces now? Why not write them now, print them out onto some nice paper then take them into a field and set fire to them, because we don't want or need to read them.

If a kid picked and poked and pushed and pulled a rabbit you'd take the rabbit away from them.

You cannot be trusted with a popstar.

You've had your chance.

Hand her over.

Love,

popjusticesig.jpg

PS: You can have Santigold back if you want.

[/QUOTE]

It's a pop music website. I don't actually particularly like the site, in general I prefer the forum rather than the main site but I think the above piece is pretty much on the money. Some of the LDR chatter on indie blogs and websites is just awful. She's become one of those cases of an artist for who people who dislike her talk about her 10 times more than makes any sense.

Don't like her voice that much. Don't like her face. Hate the contrived image and the retro associations picked all too perfectly. The Video Games tune isn't too tragic though. Love the fact that the 'authentic' fetishists and muso wankers have had a nice big smack in the puss over the whole thing. So on the whole she's a force for good.