aberdeen-music

Westboro Baptist Church are coming to Aberdeen.

Jaaakkkeee

Did you see that when reading page two of this thread? Or perhaps page three when it was quoted and shown again?

..... I don't suppose it's unlikely that I did... Have seen it elsewhere ages ago, tis one that stuck in my head. Oh well. Thank you for bringing to light my shortcomings as a forum user, bastard.

xx

EDIT: In my defence, the picture ITT is blocked at work anyway....

EDIT EDIT: I'm not sure how that's supposed to be defence.....

There's a line to be drawn between the Westboro Baptists and regular dunces. Making Aberdeen look like they don't care about the WBs can only be a good thing. They have next to no real world influence (if they did then surely they'd have more than a handful of church members) and the only attention they get is people being up in arms about how despicable they are. If this was a group with any actual clout then sure, protesting would be 'a good thing' but this is a total non-event.

I totally agree with Woods on this one. It might as well be a couple of tramps staging a protest on the shape of potatoes.

I totally agree with Woods on this one. It might as well be a couple of tramps staging a protest on the shape of potatoes.

I do and I don't agree.... As much as it's a total non-event as much as there's no way these fucking fruit loops are going to have any impact on the outcome of the legislation (in fact, odds are they'll improve it's chances of passing since less people will want to refuse for fear of being lumped in with these idiots) but I can imagine how shitty it would be to be a gay person seeing a WBC protest in your hometown and have no one seem to give a fuck...

As much as the cure to this disease seems to be 'ignore it and it'll go away', at the same time it's pretty fucking uncool that they are allowed to picket funerals... Surely you can't expect that to be written off in the same way?

xx

I say we all just by a p;late of chips and chuck them at them. What are the seagulls like around there? Loads? or are we just going to look like a bunch of tits wasting valuable chipper goodness?

I think it's too far in town for Seagulls unless we do it first thing in the morning. Offer them a chip out of kindness but have it covered in LOADS of salt mwahahahahaa.

My (possibly wayward) understanding is that they are allowed to picket funerals and the likes in America with their offensive banners because the first amendment allows them to do so. Is there not laws against hate speech, offensive messages in a public place and the likes in Britain that would stop them from doing this?

On Road Wars recently a guy was made to cover up an offensive bumper sticker when pulled over in Slough.

• Upvote 1

My (possibly wayward) understanding is that they are allowed to picket funerals and the likes in America with their offensive banners because the first amendment allows them to do so. Is there not laws against hate speech, offensive messages in a public place and the likes in Britain that would stop them from doing this?

On Road Wars recently a guy was made to cover up an offensive bumper sticker when pulled over in Slough.

The UK Border Agency said it opposed "extremism in all its forms".

A spokesman added: "Both these individuals have engaged in unacceptable behaviour by inciting hatred against a number of communities.

"We will continue to stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country.

"The exclusions policy is targeted at all those who seek to stir up tension and provoke others to violence regardless of their origins and beliefs."

I don't think they'll get in tbh, and if they do, the coppers will put a stop to their barmy protest. There's anti-discrimination laws which won't allow them to hold up signs with things like "fag" written on it. Pretty sure they can be arrested, just as you can for using a racial slur against someone.

A friend of mine was pestering one of them online a while ago and asked if they'd ever come over here. He was told that they banned from coming over to the UK. Not sure if that stands for all of them or just some, though.

It's true that they're so insignificant that they shouldn't be paid any attention, but no matter what reception they receive they'll take it as a victory, so why not have a counter-protest? Fun for all the family! Nobody is ever going to convince them that they're wrong, so we might as well go all out with the ridiculous signs.

I don't think they'll get in tbh, and if they do, the coppers will put a stop to their barmy protest. There's anti-discrimination laws which won't allow them to hold up signs with things like "fag" written on it. Pretty sure they can be arrested, just as you can for using a racial slur against someone.

Recently, there was an English postman convicted of racially incited hatred by branding Andy Murray a "Useless Jock" in public. Given that this is neither offensive or entirely inaccurate, I don't think these Westboro bum grapes stand much of a chance over here, really.

A friend of mine was pestering one of them online a while ago and asked if they'd ever come over here. He was told that they banned from coming over to the UK. Not sure if that stands for all of them or just some, though.

It's true that they're so insignificant that they shouldn't be paid any attention, but no matter what reception they receive they'll take it as a victory, so why not have a counter-protest? Fun for all the family! Nobody is ever going to convince them that they're wrong, so we might as well go all out with the ridiculous signs.

This is all moot since they'll never be allowed in the country but....

If they perceive any reception as a victory then giving them no reception is the only way to deny them that which they so desire. They can't be reasoned with so don't give them the satisfaction of feeling superior.

I accept that it's unpleasant for those being targeted by the group but anyone can take a look at these folk and know that they're on their own without the need of a counter protest. I especially disagree with counter protesting at a funeral (or something else along those lines) because that turns the what would normally be a private affair into a circus sideshow for everyone's amusement. I can't get behind that.

The BBC news article was saying that they aren't allowing anyone associated with WBC into the UK, but it also pointed out that if they arent one of the Phelps brigade then there's no real way to know who to stop and who to let in.. Probably a few will slip past but I imagine it'll be a smattering who will be - as Lucky (I think) said - stopped/moved on/arrested by cops before it comes to anything.

I rather like the idea of going with a sign saying I HATE FAGS with a no-smoking logo below it... Stupid signs FTW.

xx

I especially disagree with counter protesting at a funeral (or something else along those lines) because that turns the what would normally be a private affair into a circus sideshow for everyone's amusement. I can't get behind that.
Totally agree with this. But if all they're planning is to picket a church, then fuck it. Full on stupid signs galore if you ask me!

Stroopy, that sign is genius. YAS!

Recently, there was an English postman convicted of racially incited hatred by branding Andy Murray a "Useless Jock" in public. Given that this is neither offensive or entirely inaccurate, I don't think these Westboro bum grapes stand much of a chance over here, really.

Can we rename this thread Westboro Bum Grapes ?

This is all moot since they'll never be allowed in the country but....

If they perceive any reception as a victory then giving them no reception is the only way to deny them that which they so desire. They can't be reasoned with so don't give them the satisfaction of feeling superior.

I accept that it's unpleasant for those being targeted by the group but anyone can take a look at these folk and know that they're on their own without the need of a counter protest. I especially disagree with counter protesting at a funeral (or something else along those lines) because that turns the what would normally be a private affair into a circus sideshow for everyone's amusement. I can't get behind that.

Oh no, I totally agree that counter-protesting at the funerals they picket would be just as vile as their initial hate-filled disruptions. I just think that if they get no attention, rather than thinking it might be because nobody cares what they have to say, they'll see it as a victory, as nobody will be there to disagree with them. I know they they are essentially just trolls, but I don't think a counter-protest at an event like this would do any harm, provided there aren't any idiots on the anti-WBC side, intent on causing trouble.

Oh no, I totally agree that counter-protesting at the funerals they picket would be just as vile as their initial hate-filled disruptions. I just think that if they get no attention, rather than thinking it might be because nobody cares what they have to say, they'll see it as a victory, as nobody will be there to disagree with them. I know they they are essentially just trolls, but I don't think a counter-protest at an event like this would do any harm, provided there aren't any idiots on the anti-WBC side, intent on causing trouble.

Which their will be. Always. Ruining it for everyone else.

What's the thinking behind protesting in the first place? I don't get it. Do they think gay people are gonna walk past, see their bible quote and think 'hmm maybe I shouldn't be gay after all, thanks guys'?

I presume it's all about stirring up some publicity. If so then they're not very inventive. All they do is hold up signs. Idiots.

I think Jake was spot on to describe them as real life trolls - that's exactly what they are and if you feed them they'll only become more annoying.

As a massive gay myself and one who lives right by Queen's Cross, I'll be taking care to be as far away as possible that day. I respect those who think otherwise, but I really feel as though if they turned up and had their little protest with no audience whatsoever, they'd be frustrated. I was disappointed to see this merited 2 pages in the EE today but I understand why it did.

When I worked at the Journals they sent me a big package from Kansas, full of propaganda and hate and I can tell you, these folks are utterly batshit.

• 3 weeks later...