aberdeen-music

Amy Winehouse Dead

Sam 45

I find it difficult to muster any feelings over this death. I'm not the type to crack crass jokes or gloat and of course I have sympathy for her and anyone she was close, and even her fans, but I'm so far removed from this person that there's no attachment or reason for me to get worked up. People die everyday from overdoses at a young age and it's a horrible way to go but I have just as much emotional reaction to it happening to some random as I do her. I.e. Not a great deal. I genuinely don't think this is a bad way of looking at the situation either. Either you have a reason to get upset about it (you're a fan or you knew her etc) or she's just the same as any other statistic.

• Upvote 1

I find it difficult to muster any feelings over this death. I'm not the type to crack crass jokes or gloat and of course I have sympathy for her and anyone she was close, and even her fans, but I'm so far removed from this person that there's no attachment or reason for me to get worked up. People die everyday from overdoses at a young age and it's a horrible way to go but I have just as much emotional reaction to it happening to some random as I do her. I.e. Not a great deal. I genuinely don't think this is a bad way of looking at the situation either. Either you have a reason to get upset about it (you're a fan or you knew her etc) or she's just the same as any other statistic.

well put !

would have loved to have repped you but... "You must spread...etc"

I really dont understand why people are comparing/connecting the two and why people are kicking up a fuss about one being more prevalent than the other especially on social networking sites. people are shite, we're all fucked.

The world is one big idiot today and it makes me sad. I'm sure the hangover doesn't help.

I won't deny that i have laughed at any of the jokes allready plaguing facebook, but one thing thats pissing me off is people laughing purely at the fact she's dead, its fucking wrong, not just that but the fact she was 27 makes it even more gross, Regardless of what people have to say she has died a legend in my opinion.

As much as everyone on here who is against Amy Winehouse in whatever shape or form would probably say they dislike tabloid media, all they're doing is recycling it's opinions and amplifying them through various sub-Howard Stern 'shock value' statements.

When she was alive, most of the stuff that was written about her was stuff like 'Doesn't Amy look rough, she's missing teeth', 'Mad Amy wanders around in her bra', ' Look at Amy's track-marks, she's back on the Heroin....fucking ROFL'. Now she's dead they'll deny thats the way she was discussed and they'll pretend all that was ever focused on was 'the music maaaan'.

It's just a never ending feedback loop of slimy ex-public schoolboy journalists hoovering up coke and fucking teenage girls and saying 'Look at the state of THAT junkie!, it filters down to sweaty young boys in their clammy wank-dens typing pseudo-bile onto the internet for LOLS and everyone involved forgets that what actually happened was a young girl with a Heroin addiction died and everyone got a nice big cheque or a good laugh out of it.

• Upvote 1

I think I'm probably on the side of the baddies here....she wasn't really on my radar much, and I don't watch MTV/read Hello etc, The little I heard of her music didn't do anything for me, so I feel much the same about her death as I would about Susan Boyle, or Robbie Williams....i.e. not affected, apart from feeling sorry for her at going young.

If this is how it is when some beehive'd borderline transvestite "heart of the nation" whose entire career was probably dictated by some fat cat in the big record office dies, I'm definitely turning off my mind when Jordan or her son Harvey pops it. Fuck sake this country really does have aids.

Roll on the endless tribute pages in all the social commentary magazines and "music" magazines.

Bring on gimps like Bono to tell us why drugs are ruining this great nations youth and how Amy Crackhouse was an inspiration to us all. Fucking bullshit.

STOP THE (MEDIA) MADNESS!

I wish I could go back to black sometimes....

If this is how it is when some beehive'd borderline transvestite "heart of the nation" whose entire career was probably dictated by some fat cat in the big record office dies, I'm definitely turning off my mind when Jordan or her son Harvey pops it. Fuck sake this country really does have aids.

Roll on the endless tribute pages in all the social commentary magazines and "music" magazines.

Bring on gimps like Bono to tell us why drugs are ruining this great nations youth and how Amy Crackhouse was an inspiration to us all. Fucking bullshit.

STOP THE (MEDIA) MADNESS!

I wish I could go back to black sometimes....

Dude she may have not been an inspiration to you, but I'm sure she was an inspiration to others? Each to their own?

But yeah, Staley was better than Amy.

That's very much a matter of opinion. I always thought Staley was a terrible singer, I'm not a huge fan of Amy Winehouse either but imo she was a far more talented natural singer. That's why this stuff is all opinion.

I think its sad that anyone dies at 27 through their life spiralling out of control, none of us have ever had to deal with what these people have to in terms of pressure and temptations I'd guess, whether or not any one of us would be any stronger who knows.

Is talent to be considered when deciding how significant her death is?

Thats the one thing about all of this that bugs me, and its not just Amy Winehouse, people seem to suggest that because they were not a fan of her music that her death should just be ignored, or written off as her being a "junkie mink", its a disgusting attitude that the internet has bread. Her death is just as important as any other death in the world, doesnt matter what your opinion of her was. The difference obviously being that her death is national news because she was well know throughout Britain. If a heroin user dies in Aberdeen is usually makes front page headlines in our local paper, this is no different really. Michael Jackson was a world wide figure, so his death made world wide news.

Some of the views in this thread and others i have read are worrying to say the least.

• Upvote 1

It worries me to see anyone's death being written off as insignificant because of a drug problem, or because they did not like her music. Its as worrying to see people saying we should not care because of what has happened in Norway, both events are significant in their own ways, neither less important that the other.

Milner - I did not know Amy Winehouse nor do I know anyone involved in the tragedy in Norway. As tragic as both events are to others and yes I feel shocked that her death has overshadowed what went on in Norway but as far as I'm concerned my family and friends are still kicking it big willy style. The world keeps turning whilst I enjoy these wee whimsical threads of trolling and verbal diarrhoea. Peace!

Milner - I did not know Amy Winehouse nor do I know anyone involved in the tragedy in Norway. As tragic as both events are to others and yes I feel shocked that her death has overshadowed what went on in Norway but as far as I'm concerned my family and friends are still kicking it big willy style. The world keeps turning whilst I enjoy these wee whimsical threads of trolling and verbal diarrhoea. Peace!

I don't feel it has overshadowed it though, there is a difference, with Winehouse theres a debate about the why's and whats of drug abuse talent etc so there is more talking about it, with Norway what is there to say, the guy who did it is nuts and its a tragedy, there is no debate, theer's no conversation to be had about the music, theres just an understanding that it is a tragic thing, i havent done any commenting on it because I have nothing to say that i feel would encompass it. It reminds me of an Eddie Izzard sketch where he says the human mind can comprehend 1 death, maybe even 10, but anything over a certain amount and we can't quite get our head round it, he's talking about millions but I think the same applies on a smaller scale to this kind of thing.

I dont see how this has overshadowed what happened in Norway, look in the sunday papers and rightly so the story from Norway dominates the pages, maybe 1 or 2 for the death of Winehouse.Yes the kids on Facebook will be speaking more about this than anything else, but thats to be expected, its not like they would have all been posting about what happened in Norway regardless.

What has happened with Winehouse will HOPEFULLY raise awareness and help prevent something like this happening again, anything really that can be learned from this situation will be good.

It worries me to see anyone's death being written off as insignificant because of a drug problem, or because they did not like her music. Its as worrying to see people saying we should not care because of what has happened in Norway, both events are significant in their own ways, neither less important that the other.

Don't think I've seen anyone do this.

no not in this thread specifically, it seems to be a general feel i get from most people i speak to regarding this. Infact one convo i had specifically went along the lines of:

"Amy Winehouse is dead!"

response

"meh one less junkie for the country to care about"

now that to me is a disgusting attitude, hopefully said person never has a family member suffer from any kind of addiction problem in their lives.