Any favourite '77 punk outfits? Back in the day, these were mine:

The Adverts

Chelsea

Buzzcocks

Penetration

Wire

Subway Sect

The Clash

Generation X (sure they were pop stars, even back then)

Damned

Siouxsie And The Banshees

Magazine (not strictly a punk outfit I know, but incredibe nevertheless)

X-Ray Spex

Sex Pistols

And from the US:

The Avengers

Richard Hell And The Voidoids

1) Clash

2) Ramones

3) Heartbreakers

4) Pistols

5) The Saints

Also, The Skids (but not sure if they released stuff in 77) and I really like The Boomtown Rats and TRB.

Damn it all to Hell, 76 - 82 = best period for popular music ever in my opinion. All the aforementioned punky bands plus FANTASTIC 'pop' bands like Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Madness, Jam and Dexys. Also fantastic Jamaican Reggae and Dub, Two Tone and cool mod revival stuff. Such a bold period.

Guest allsystemsfail
1.The Clash

2.The Damned

3. The Avengers

4.The Jam (maybe not punk to everyone but so what)

5.Sex Pistols

You know The Avengers? Hey man, cool.

The Jam? Well, while a lotta folks think them a mod outfit, they were certainly linked with the '77 punk community. Playing The Roxy, they also went out on the road with The Clash on the White Riot tour.

Guest allsystemsfail
1) Clash

2) Ramones

3) Heartbreakers

4) Pistols

5) The Saints

Also' date=' The Skids (but not sure if they released stuff in 77) and I really like The Boomtown Rats and TRB.

Damn it all to Hell, 76 - 82 = best period for popular music ever in my opinion. All the aforementioned punky bands plus FANTASTIC 'pop' bands like Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Madness, Jam and Dexys. Also fantastic Jamaican Reggae and Dub, Two Tone and cool mod revival stuff. Such a bold period.[/quote']

Hmmm... I'd say the Rats were new wave, but it's up for arguement. TRB? I dunno. There were a lotta acts on the fringes. Elvis Costello for example.

Hey, Ian Dury and the Blockheads. It was really via these guys that I discovered punk.

Guest allsystemsfail

It's funny that I should choose to post this thread today, as I just found out that 999 are gonna be playing Cafe Drummond in October. The 31st I think, with Toxik Ephex supporting.

yeh i got into the avengers after checkin them out through reading artcore and sound so fresh sounding! i wouldnt call ramones a 77 band, which is why i didnt include them...them and new york dolls inspired the scene and stiff little fingers didnt start till 78 i belive

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Standouts for me from '77 are:

Subway Sect

The Damned (the band that got me into punk after seeing them on The Young Ones)

The Stranglers (I still like them)

Magazine (way ahead of their time)

Kevin Short and His Privates ( they have a hilarious song on Killed By Death #100)

Guest allsystemsfail
yeh i got into the avengers after checkin them out through reading artcore and sound so fresh sounding! i wouldnt call ramones a 77 band' date=' which is why i didnt include them...them and new york dolls inspired the scene and stiff little fingers didnt start till 78 i belive[/quote']

Yeah, I bought that very same issue of Artcore.

The Ramones? Yeah, not a '77 outfit. I'd place them alongside other New York acts such as Patti Smith, Talking Heads, and Blondie.

SLF were I guess more a part of the punk's second wave with The Ruts, UK Subs, and the Upstarts. Killer first album.

Guest allsystemsfail

The Damned (the band that got me into punk after seeing them on The Young Ones)

Horror Taxi wasn't it? Yeah, great band, their third full length Machine Gun Etiquette a work of genius. Strawberries was pretty cool too. And of course not forgetting the Captain's This Is Your Captain Speaking 7" on Crass Records.

Guest allsystemsfail
The Slits anyone?

Also' date=' from the US, how 'bout Dead Boys, Pere Ubu, The Dils, Weirdos, X?[/quote']

The Slits were cool. Very challenging. Was disappointed that they didn't commit anything to vinyl until 1979.

Could never get that excited about the Dead Boys. The Weirdos and The Dills I've still to check out.

scAVENGERS UK dates

You know The Avengers? Hey man' date=' cool.[/quote']

For fans of The Avengers, there's word of The scAVENGERS - Penelope Houston & Greg Ingraham of the original band plus a couple of other fill-in guys - coming to the UK for some dates in early December. It will likely end up being just a couple of nights in London but probably worth travelling for. When else are you going to get the chance?

Guest allsystemsfail
For fans of The Avengers' date=' there's word of [b']The scAVENGERS - Penelope Houston & Greg Ingraham of the original band plus a couple of other fill-in guys - coming to the UK for some dates in early December. It will likely end up being just a couple of nights in London but probably worth travelling for. When else are you going to get the chance?

That's cool news.