aberdeen-music

Battle of The Bands Advice Required...

Pilot Error

What is a proper gigging experience tho? The two gigs we played did not really feel any different to the countless "real" gigs i played throughout the years, we played to the people who came to watch us, the only difference was there were 3 people sitting at the back judging. You didnt even notice them there. In terms of the audience, well we never really took many folk to gigs as Kenetic, so again it wasnt really any different, play an empty tunnels for 25 or play an empty jumpin jacks for 4k lol.

BTW im not signing the praises of BOB's from the rooftops, that was the only one we ever entered because it was the only one we thought was worthwhile, and it was very worthwhile, it gave us a chance to update our equipment and paid for recording time.

What is a proper gigging experience tho?

Playing in a suitable venue; with a suitable PA; a suitable sound engineer; booked by a suitable promoter who genuinely wants you to play because he likes the music or thinks the music can add something to the concert; with other acts on the bill where a musical kinship is shared.

In my opinion.

It's still great that you won 4k through your experiences, though.

Playing in a suitable venue; with a suitable PA; a suitable sound engineer; booked by a suitable promoter who genuinely wants you to play because he likes the music or thinks the music can add something to the concert; with other acts on the bill where a musical kinship is shared.

In my opinion.

It's still great that you won 4k through your experiences, though.

But thats not how most gigs up here work, at least they never used to, its been a few years since i played in town gigs. Promoters up here will book anyone if they think the band will pull in punters, young school bands will always get gigs because they will take friends with them, regardless of how good/bad they are or regardless of whether their music will fit the bill.

Countless times i have experienced the opposite of what you describe as being a proper gigging experience, and yet had a fantastic time. Infact the BOB we played was the most organised gig we ever played outwith the Lemon Tree gigs, good PA with engineers who knew how to use it, exact stage times, decent lighting, good venue even tho it was empty and a good diversity of music. I played Moshulu when the PA was falling apart, Drakes when there was pretty much no PA, we also played a gig in that old Asian place that was on Belmont street, we played the gig on a wooden floor, with no stage and a cheap hired PA with 3 completely different kinds of band playing, it was prob one of the most enjoyable gigs ever.

My point is, what your describing is a perfect gig, very few of them ever follow those rules, so i dont see how you can say playing to a room full of people largely not interested in your band is different to playing a room full of people largely not interested in your band with some people judging the performances and a token prize at the end.

The 4k was good, but in honestly we pissed it against a wall, the joys of being young, stupid and slightly rich for a few days.

But thats not how most gigs up here work, at least they never used to, its been a few years since i played in town gigs. Promoters up here will book anyone if they think the band will pull in punters, young school bands will always get gigs because they will take friends with them, regardless of how good/bad they are or regardless of whether their music will fit the bill.

Countless times i have experienced the opposite of what you describe as being a proper gigging experience, and yet had a fantastic time. Infact the BOB we played was the most organised gig we ever played outwith the Lemon Tree gigs, good PA with engineers who knew how to use it, exact stage times, decent lighting, good venue even tho it was empty and a good diversity of music. I played Moshulu when the PA was falling apart, Drakes when there was pretty much no PA, we also played a gig in that old Asian place that was on Belmont street, we played the gig on a wooden floor, with no stage and a cheap hired PA with 3 completely different kinds of band playing, it was prob one of the most enjoyable gigs ever.

My point is, what your describing is a perfect gig, very few of them ever follow those rules, so i dont see how you can say playing to a room full of people largely not interested in your band is different to playing a room full of people largely not interested in your band with some people judging the performances and a token prize at the end.

The 4k was good, but in honestly we pissed it against a wall, the joys of being young, stupid and slightly rich for a few days.

All taken on board. My average gig experience appears to be the opposite to yours, however. 75% of concert promoters probably book on the basis you highlighted in your first paragraph. In any city or town. I just make the effort to avoid them and avoid going to their shows. There are good promoters with the right agendas in almost every city, covering a broad spectrum of music...it's just a case of finding them or them finding you.

In my opinion.

All taken on board. My average gig experience appears to be the opposite to yours, however. 75% of concert promoters probably book on the basis you highlighted in your first paragraph. In any city or town. I just make the effort to avoid them and avoid going to their shows. There are good promoters with the right agendas in almost every city, covering a broad spectrum of music...it's just a case of finding them or them finding you.

In my opinion.

oh yeah definately mate, i want to stress im not lumping all Aberdeen promoters with that claim, there are some very good guys out there trying to push along nights as you describe.

This is all getting a bit too civil for an AB-Music thread, i feel we should be insulting each other more to get our points across!! hahahaha

What is a proper gigging experience tho? The two gigs we played did not really feel any different to the countless "real" gigs i played throughout the years, we played to the people who came to watch us, the only difference was there were 3 people sitting at the back judging. You didnt even notice them there. In terms of the audience, well we never really took many folk to gigs as Kenetic, so again it wasnt really any different, play an empty tunnels for 25 or play an empty jumpin jacks for 4k lol.

BTW im not signing the praises of BOB's from the rooftops, that was the only one we ever entered because it was the only one we thought was worthwhile, and it was very worthwhile, it gave us a chance to update our equipment and paid for recording time.

A 'proper' gig surely depends on who you're playing for. Personally, it's about the direct communication between the people on the stage and the people standing a few feet away. People who have chosen to stand there and listen to what you have to say to them. It should be for their benefit, not yours. Playing a battle of the bands straight away means that they are no longer the most important person in the room, they are just allowed to watch while you try to impress someone else.

I realise here that you, as Kenetic, were an experienced band, obviously all talented and capable, and you probably knew exactly what you were doing. Fact is though, there are countless new, young, inexperienced, naive bands out there who don't have the insight you do. And they see someone with your experience entering this so assume this must be the way to go, must be the way to progress, and 'make it', As I said you're just validating the process. And that's not right.

Finally back on line, many thanks for all the comments... Turns out we're not going to do it after all for work reasons, but we had spoken to the venue and the promotor and turns out that there was no pay to play element and it didn't matter how many people we'd brought with us. All seemed fairly legit, but at the same time I totally take on board (and in fact agree with) most people's opinions on BoTB.

Having said that, we're playing the semi final of the Drummonds 2k competition on 2nd September so I suppose it's horses for courses....