aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route

Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route

The road is not scheduled to be completed until late 2012.

But for a road that's not due to be completed until late 2012, they are leaving it late in building the damn thing.

It will take a lot longer than 18 months to build it completely, hell it took about the same time to build the Blackburn bypass, and that was not as grand as the AWPR.

Guest Gladstone

My father-in-law told me that the dual carriageway north of the city (heading for Ellon, Fraserburgh, Peterhead) was supposed to be finished in the 1940s and they still have that stupid section of single carriageway at Foveran/Newburgh area which bottlenecks like fuck at rush hour.

Stupid (lazy) fucks.

The Balmedie to Tipperty dual carriageway has funding and approvals in place apparently so hopefully that should help make the road safer at least. As for the AWPR, no chance any of us will be driving down that road in 2012. Can't wait for it to be completed though (whenever that is) it'll make a hoora difference to my commute and daily travelling.

• 2 weeks later...
The Balmedie to Tipperty dual carriageway has funding and approvals in place apparently so hopefully that should help make the road safer at least. As for the AWPR, no chance any of us will be driving down that road in 2012. Can't wait for it to be completed though (whenever that is) it'll make a hoora difference to my commute and daily travelling.

They started the wheels rolling on that 6 years ago and it hasn't started yet, so I'm not holding out much hope for this bypass anytime soon. That stretch of road is a fucking nightmare in rush hour in the morning, and just as bad going back at night. Made even worse by the fact that you're queueing in non-moving traffic to get across the AECC roundabout when you're still about a mile outside the city. Ass. They should never have pulled up all the railway lines that went to Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Ellon etc in the 70s (60s maybe?). It was very short sighted of them. A rail service up to that corner would be packed every morning and night, and would take a hell of a lot of traffic off the roads both in the city and on that shitty road.

• 2 weeks later...

Awpr

Road Sense are talking about appealing ... what a fukkin surprise... when are TC going to realise they have very little support. They have until next wed to appeal but are struggling with getting the money to do it ... I hope they get help from not a cunt.... :(

The Tattie Express has a story about it all today ...

Aye, they had 21 days from when The Court of Session (one judge) rejected the appeals, the judge ironically called "Lord Tyre".

If Road Sense decide to further appeal the decision, it goes to 3 judges. If they then reject the appeals, Road Sense etc can potentially further appeal against that decision for another appeal to go to 5 judges, delaying the whole process by another couple of years.

It's the system that is a cunt, giving them an opportunity to delay things, even though its pretty much guaranteed that this will eventually go ahead.

While I can see how it's frustrating for some, personally I'm glad to live in a society where there are legal safeguards in place. Next time the government might be wanting to knock YOUR house down.

This. It's frustrating that they're delaying this particular project. But I'm glad that the appeals process is there for the times when poor decisions are made. It's just part of having a fair system that means it can also be used to hold up projects you agree with as well as ones you don't.

Appeals and more appeals

Yes they've appealed, they also objected at the enquiries ... I think they have had more than ample opportunities to put over their point of view.

All they are doing is delaying it ... and in the meantime exactly how much extra will this cost you and me ? millions and millions I suspect.

What is the point?