aberdeen-music

Arab Strap

davewarden

On a massive Arab Strap (as well as associated projects) binge just now and so I thought Id start a thread where we could discuss music and stuff.

I got into them well after they'd split so never got to see them live but Im really looking forward to seeing Aidan Moffat and Bill Wells play Lemon Tree in October and if you haven't heard the album I recommend you give it a listen.

Also if anyone has "Scenes of a sexual nature" and want rid...

How does Arab Strap differ from AJM's spoken word stuff? I have "I Can Hear your Heart" and love it. Got that new one with Bill Wells and it has some corkers, but I dont care for the weird synthy polka tune.

I could just YouTube Arab Strap and listen, but I'm at work and I want someone to tell me instead.

I made Monday At the Hug and Pint my choice for Drowned In Sound's "Favourite 50", which was a feature whereby different writers wrote about a favourite album of their's which was released 2001-2011. I'm more inclined towards the latter part of Arab Strap's career in terms of album consistency, although many of their best individual songs were from early on.

I highly recommend the live album 'Mad for Sadness', far surpasses any of the studio recordings IMHO, some of the instrumental sections are amazing, huge sounding. The only slightly dodgy point in their catalogue is 'Elephant Shoe for me.

I managed to catch them a couple of times before they split, including their farewell tour date at Tunnels. Last time I caught Aidan's solo spot was as support for Shellac in Glasgow, spotted him getting out of a taxi outside ABC, then half an hour later in Nice 'n' Sleazy's, then half an hour later on stage when he walked on to absolute silence.

"Thank you very much for that warm welcome".

My favourite just now is "Monday night...", as with Larsen its alot more consistant than earlier albums but songs like "Phone me tonight" destroy me.

Caught Aidan with Mogwai up in Inverness, was my first time Id ever been exposed to his music and thought it was great, just his mostly spoken word and an organ of some form (if anyone knows what it is let me know), one song he had a record of birdsong on a little portable record player. He was clearly pissed and being heckled by a german nutter. His twitter feed is pretty good too.

Al that would be great btw. (away to pm you too)

Arab Strap are one of my favoured bands. Monday at the Hug and Pint is great; Fucking Little Bastards is an assault of a song. Love it.

I always had a lot of time for The Last Romance, too.

I'm more inclined towards the latter part of Arab Strap's career in terms of album consistency, although many of their best individual songs were from early on.

This is probably where I sit with Arab Strap's career, aswell. New Birds on Philophobia just slays me.

They never quite did it live for me, because every time I saw them play they'd play a set which, in my estimation, is about 40% too long and it just got tedious.

I'd also recommend the Hypnogogia and Touchpool records by Lucky Pierre.

Arab strap, must have seen them about 6 or 7 times. Like most i love there early stuff first album was average although Philophobia was brilliant album really good and also loved the live album Madness for Sadness, i always thought they was excellent live. Always got their albums after that because they had some great tunes on it after these but not the whole album sadly for me. I loved the track Trippy which was on the here we go single.

Bill Wells and Aidan Moffat album is amazing really good, it will be up there with my albums of the year thats for sure. Ballad of the Bastard, Glasgow Jubilee, The Greatest Story Ever Told etc.