aberdeen-music

The Village Studio

Kingbass

Further examples, that perhaps are more indicative of the type of music I would wish to record at your studio?

What would be the point, as it will only get slagged off like the other tracks I posted. I've produced quite a bit of acoustic / folk material. I can easily send you a CD if you want to pm me a contact address.

What would be the point, as it will only get slagged off like the other tracks I posted. I've produced quite a bit of acoustic / folk material. I can easily send you a CD if you want to pm me a contact address.

People are more open than you think, if you want to sell yourself, don't do it on the semi famous people you've worked with, sell it on the quality of your work, some people might slag it but people will hear it and they might want to work with what you have surely thats worth the slagging from people who you seem to view as beneath you anyway ?

That thread closure yesterday should have been your chance to bury the frankly awful attempt to big up your own business at the expense of exposing what you perceive to be shortcomings in your competitors. Unfortunately, you appear to have come back with exactly the same attitude as before. How disappointing.

Any person halfway to being described as professional ought to know to keep negative opinions private unless asked (and even then express them tactfully). Why not stick to facts. What do YOU do? What equipment do YOU have? What services do YOU offer? What examples of YOUR work can YOU demonstrate? See the bits in capitals? That's the important part. If you had stuck to that in the first place then I'm sure you would have come off a lot better.

Don't bother coming back to with the "how much experience have you got of playing/recording/studios/etc?" gash that you have laid on other people. My answer is "very little", that's why I might have come to you? I don't get quizzed about my knowledge of couture when I go to the tailor. When's the last time a butcher laughed at you because you've never split a cow in two in your life? I certainly don't taunt and tease people who mess up their computers when I fix them. If I knew as much about recording as your exalted self then don't you think I'd be doing recordings myself? Belittling your potential customers is not a great way to drum up business. That was an opinion, by the way.

You are arrogant and obnoxious. This is a fact and/or an opinion, depending on whether I'm on the attack or feeling defensive.

Also, if you really, truly can't see where in your output of the past couple of days you have been slagging people (read: potential customers) and businesses off then you need help with more than just your communication and marketing skills. The customer is not always right, but the customer is king, Kingbass.

• Upvote 2

That thread closure yesterday should have been your chance to bury the frankly awful attempt to big up your own business at the expense of exposing what you perceive to be shortcomings in your competitors. Unfortunately, you appear to have come back with exactly the same attitude as before. How disappointing.

Any person halfway to being described as professional ought to know to keep negative opinions private unless asked (and even then express them tactfully). Why not stick to facts. What do YOU do? What equipment do YOU have? What services do YOU offer? What examples of YOUR work can YOU demonstrate? See the bits in capitals? That's the important part. If you had stuck to that in the first place then I'm sure you would have come off a lot better.

Don't bother coming back to with the "how much experience have you got of playing/recording/studios/etc?" gash that you have laid on other people. My answer is "very little", that's why I might have come to you? I don't get quizzed about my knowledge of couture when I go to the tailor. When's the last time a butcher laughed at you because you've never split a cow in two in your life? I certainly don't taunt and tease people who mess up their computers when I fix them. If I knew as much about recording as your exalted self then don't you think I'd be doing recordings myself? Belittling your potential customers is not a great way to drum up business. That was an opinion, by the way.

You are arrogant and obnoxious. This is a fact and/or an opinion, depending on whether I'm on the attack or feeling defensive.

Also, if you really, truly can't see where in your output of the past couple of days you have been slagging people (read: potential customers) and businesses off then you need help with more than just your communication and marketing skills. The customer is not always right, but the customer is king, Kingbass.

I agree in as much that I should have kept my opinions to myself. I have made my peace with certain individuals on here, so I'll leave it at that. I was speaking up for the chap who started the locked thread, as lets be honest here, he was set upon by a pack of wolves just becuse he piped up that he was offering an alternative to other studios. Like some of the other members who contributed to that thread, I myself doubt very much that he could achieve the same audio quality as big London studios with the equipment he has.

Putting all that buisness to one side for a moment, my current studio set-up has been tried and tested, and is capable of producing fantastic results. I can provide a quality service at a decent price becuase I don't have that many overheads to worry about.

When it comes to recording, the knowledge and experience of the engineer makes a huge difference to the final production.

Guest droid

I think these days you can produce top quality recordings @ home,hence countless studios going out of business up and down the country.I suppose the attraction of a studio is setting up the full band and getting "live" recordings.

I think these days you can produce top quality recordings @ home,hence countless studios going out of business up and down the country.I suppose the attraction of a studio is setting up the full band and getting "live" recordings.

Agreed! You can obtain fantastic results at home with a bit of savy on the general recording process. However when it comes to tracking acoustic instruments, i.e. drums, brass etc you really do need a decent sounding space. No amount of top quality gear can help in that respect. Getting the source sounding right in the first place is the key to producing professional results, and it also makes the mixing process a shitload easier.

Guest droid
Agreed! You can obtain fantastic results at home with a bit of savy on the general recording process. However when it comes to tracking acoustic instruments, i.e. drums, brass etc you really do need a decent sounding space. No amount of top quality gear can help in that respect. Getting the source sounding right in the first place is the key to producing professional results, and it also makes the mixing process a shitload easier.

Yes i have recorded acoustic instruments in spaces that weren't acoustically treated,you don't need a studio to do that.

The biggest problem is yes all those tracks sound nice, but offer nothing towards what people in Aberdeen are likely to be recording, so therefore it gives people no confidence that you can try your hand at other things. As Christie has said the 9 minute song/track whatever sounds nice but its a nothing song that you would expect to hear in an elevator or a shopping centre, again nothing that will encourage people to record with you, it also sounds like the drums are triggered to a certain extent so impossible to decide how good the accoutics you have are.

Now im not saying to prove your studio you must have recorded an Indie/metal/punk track or band, thats not the case at all, but if you go to any good web site for a studio it will have a variety of styles of music up there, even your much hated Capt Toms and Exile have a good example of what they can produce on tiny budgets for various styles and genres. You so far have only shown the general public you can record and produce a very limited genre of music.

The biggest thing is as others have said, you dont come across on here as a very likeable person or someone i would enjoy working along side, i dont want to hear whats wrong with other studios i want to hear how you can make my band sound as good as possible. I've worked with all the guys in Toms over recent years and yes the quality is not great, BUT they are fantasic people which means you get much more out of it, they are willing to push what they have to the limit to help you, Mark at Exile is the same, a great guy to work with when you get to know him, yes he triggers drums, but so what, the results he produces for me have been very good for the small amount of money he asks for and when you consider he used to record in a tunnel storage room down at the harbour he has done very well for himself. We used to go to a guy Steve out near Mintlaw, he was the best guy i have ever worked with, such a nice person to work along side and that makes all the difference.

Still saying all that i would be very interested to hear something you have recorded that is more to my tastes is you have anything at all, the recordings you have are well produced, just very boring songs i couldnt listen too.

it also sounds like the drums are triggered to a certain extent so impossible to decide how good the accoutics you have are.

Now im not saying to prove your studio you must have recorded an Indie/metal/punk track or band, thats not the case at all, but if you go to any good web site for a studio it will have a variety of styles of music up there,

Mark at Exile is the same, a great guy to work with when you get to know him, yes he triggers drums, but so what,

Well for a start, the only thing triggered on the track you mentioned is the bass drum. I used a Fat Kat trigger pedal to trigger a 909 bass drum sample, but all the drums are played live by myself.

The second thing is about different genres of music produced by Exile etc. The only genre I see Exile producing is guitar based indie / metal or whatever. Not exactly a wide variety of styles now is it?

Triggering drums is quite lazy in my opinion. I for one would not want to go into a studio with 6K worth of drums and cymbals, only for the sounds to be replaced by samples. What would be the point in that? I'd expect the engineer to put in the time and get a sound from the kit. Ok triggering samples is perhaps saving a bit of time in the studio, but nothing beats the sound of a well recorded kit. All it takes is a well tuned kit, and the engineer knowing about proper mic placement etc.