aberdeen-music

Remakes.

Teabags

I hate Holywood remaking everything. it fucking annoys me.

But this REALLY fucking pissed me off.

Unnecessary-Remake News of the Day - The Daily What

Old Boy (2012) - IMDb

That is one of my favourite movies of all time and should be left as it fucking is...a masterpiece.

But no, it's in Korean, and some fuckheads think they can improve it by bringing it to Hollywood.

Cunts.

Departed was pretty good though playing devils advocate. Take your point and agree. Im not even gonna watch the trailer cos it ll piss me off. Im a bit worried for Girl with Dragon Tattoo going to Hollywood. The lassie that played her was a huge presence on screen. All the films had a Prime Suspect feel to them: they were a great gritty mystery. Old Boy was great. I loved Lady vengeance also.

I hate Holywood remaking everything. it fucking annoys me.

But this REALLY fucking pissed me off.

Unnecessary-Remake News of the Day - The Daily What

Old Boy (2012) - IMDb

That is one of my favourite movies of all time and should be left as it fucking is...a masterpiece.

But no, it's in Korean, and some fuckheads think they can improve it by bringing it to Hollywood.

Cunts.

The Korean one is still going to be there. No one will stop you from watching it.

The Korean one is still going to be there. No one will stop you from watching it.

Yes but people will see this without seeing the original and praise it even though it's shite. And that annoys folk like him and like me. It's like seen the original? "There's an original? is this not it" No, the original's Korean. It's a lot better. "oh, subtitles? nahh. I think this one is better".

That's what bugs me most about remakes. Stupid people that don't have the same views as me as I am right.

Also the fact that they normally shit all over the memory, essence and originality of the original.

I don't see why they should spoil your memory of the original. Especially if you decide not to watch it. Remakes aren't made to stop people from watching the original but because there are some people who just wont watch the original, whether through their own aversion to foreign cinema or a lack of awareness.

To me, a remake whether it's good or bad just represents lazy filmmaking. I hate them all.

Yes! Thank you! I feel the same about cover bands in regards to music, etc etc.

I don't see why they should spoil your memory of the original. Especially if you decide not to watch it. Remakes aren't made to stop people from watching the original but because there are some people who just wont watch the original, whether through their own aversion to foreign cinema or a lack of awareness.
Because as said, it's lazy film-making. And, it means that more people that would like the story will probably see the Hollywood version rather than giving the original the respect it deserves, simply because it's in Korean/not got Woll Smoth in it.

doesnt have to be, its about having fun, surely the only real important thing? :)

It's all about the benjamins. I'd happily join a cover band and play songs I hated if I was gonna make about a tonne a night.

Obviously I'd have a 'real' band to play in so I didn't shoot myself in the teeth.

Having fun and charging shite pubs extortianite amounts of money to entertain drunk buffoons. Whatever floats your goat I guess.

or play a gig in the mooringsdrummonds/tunnels to drunken baffons making a tiny amount of money? I've done both sides for years i know which one is more enjoyable at the end of the night.

I love playing in a cover band because I get to play songs in genres I normally never would. I'd never write a 'classic rock' type tune a la Thin Lizzy or AC/DC, it's not my style of writing. I'd hate to be in an originals band where I didn't feel like I was contributing to the creative process so being in a covers band as well as my originals one works fine for me.

Plus, .

xx

• 2 years later...

I spotted a couple remakes recently that have me scratching my head a bit.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2013/05/latest-news-stephen-kings-it-and-pet-semetary-remakes/

Pet Semetary I can almost see. The original film isn't great, but one of the criticisms I read of it this week is that nothing really happens in it. Well nothing really happens in the book either, until the end. The movie is pretty true to the source material so unless they're going to write a bunch of new scenes or characters I don't really know what they're going to do with it. It's not really an out and out horror anyway. The sequel is really good. More of a popcorn movie than the original. Lots of fun and gore.

IT though. Man. That's going to be weird. Tim Curry's Pennywise is so iconic it's difficult to picture anyone else in the role. The IT we all know and love was a two-part tv series originally which did limit it a bit so it'll be cool to see what more they can do without having to worry about tv censors and budget. Thing is that the original is 3 hours long and still only covers about half of what is in the book. It's a big fucking book. If they cut the running time down to movie length it's going to be very very abridged.

I dunno. I don't like remakes and because I watched and loved these films so much as a teenager it kinda feels like hallowed ground to me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

A lot of these types of remakes pop up, make the studio a bit of cash then disappear into oblivion again. Anyone own the Nightmare On Elm Street remake on DVD? Friday the 13th? Halloween? The Omen? Me neither.

So, best and worst remakes. Let's do this. Remakes that are better than the originals. Is there such a thing?