aberdeen-music

EMG Pickups...would you recommend them?

unbroken

I have an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck of my Eclipse. depends what you're going for but they are absolutely perfect for what i use them for which is really warm cleans and dirty crunch to some pretty balls to wall heavy distortion. Is this for Prelude out of interest?

yeah it is. Was just reading up on some of Kurt Ballou's gear, and was totally surprised that he uses EMG 85's (i think) as well as most of the other ones. His tone never sounds pish...like most people with EMG pickups. so was keen to maybe try them out.

all four of my guitars have 81s in the bridge scott, 3 have 85s in the neck and one has a 60 in the neck.

I think they are ace, especially with the 5150/6505. But they are quite unforgiving - make an error and you know about it.

cool, maybe get a shotty of one at some point if thats ok? See how I get on. Fancy a guitar with a maple fretboard and an EMG/Bareknuckle nailbomb in the bridge...

cool, maybe get a shotty of one at some point if thats ok? See how I get on. Fancy a guitar with a maple fretboard and an EMG/Bareknuckle nailbomb in the bridge...

yeah man, I'll be emailing you tomorrow night anyway with various stuff. But you can borrow a guitar when I next see you which I'm sure will be soon.

I haven't heard much of the bareknuckle stuff myself unfortunately - but most of my favourite guitar tones from metallica to KSE have used 81s. Although they're not that suited to the VH4 compared to other pickups.

yeah man, I'll be emailing you tomorrow night anyway with various stuff. But you can borrow a guitar when I next see you which I'm sure will be soon.

I haven't heard much of the bareknuckle stuff myself unfortunately - but most of my favourite guitar tones from metallica to KSE have used 81s. Although they're not that suited to the VH4 compared to other pickups.

I was reading, that apparently due to the amount of winding around the magnets, EMG pickups are actually more "vintage"-like than most people think. And I just want good, fat organic tone that doesn't sound fizzy and shit, and which also sounds nice clean.

Pagie has Bare Knuckle pickups in his SG, and it sounds mint. But he uses a "Warpig". I want the "Nailbomb".

Quite expensive things to buy for just a trial and error purpose.

And I look forward to the emails and that, and seeing you of course!

What model is your les paul? Gibson/Epiphone... standard, custom etc?

The absolute ideal guitar for you would be my brother's Gibson Les Paul Custom (with stock pickups). Cost 1700 or 1800 about 10-12 years ago though, so I imagine a new one would be a fair few bob more. I'd love one to bits, but reeeeally couldn't afford or justify one. :(

Might ask if I can borrow his purely for recording one day, it's such a stunning guitar.

I was reading, that apparently due to the amount of winding around the magnets, EMG pickups are actually more "vintage"-like than most people think. And I just want good, fat organic tone that doesn't sound fizzy and shit, and which also sounds nice clean.

Pagie has Bare Knuckle pickups in his SG, and it sounds mint. But he uses a "Warpig". I want the "Nailbomb".

Quite expensive things to buy for just a trial and error purpose.

And I look forward to the emails and that, and seeing you of course!

Have you used the Nailmbomb before? It's very good, but I found it more bright than fat. The Miracle Man might be more what you're after. It's big, like the Warpig, without the mental, uncontrollable gain. Just the right amount. Think it's a touch hotter than the Nailbomb too.

What model is your les paul? Gibson/Epiphone... standard, custom etc?

The absolute ideal guitar for you would be my brother's Gibson Les Paul Custom (with stock pickups). Cost 1700 or 1800 about 10-12 years ago though, so I imagine a new one would be a fair few bob more. I'd love one to bits, but reeeeally couldn't afford or justify one. :(

Might ask if I can borrow his purely for recording one day, it's such a stunning guitar.

I have the Epiphone version of the Black Beauty. The Epiphone version was 550 I think...the Gibson version is 2500. There is no way that the Gibson version is worth the extra 2000. It will be miles better, but not 2000 better. I wish I could afford a Gibson, but sadly, it will never happen. Not a good one anyways.

I really want a Fender Jazzmaster next, then maybe a nice American Telecaster.

And cheers for the info about the Bare Knuckle pickups, wish I could hear them both side by side. I can get a hold of a guitar with the warpigs in them, just to try it out, and maybe gauge from there with where I should go.

And cheers for the info about the Bare Knuckle pickups, wish I could hear them both side by side. I can get a hold of a guitar with the warpigs in them, just to try it out, and maybe gauge from there with where I should go.

I've got an SG copy with a Warpig in the bridge and a Nailbomb in the neck (for about a week or two anyway til I swap the pickups into another guitar :p) so i could maybe take it to RnB or something let you try it out if you're keen? My agile has EMG707's (which are meant to sound like EMG85's if I remember correctly, or at least something in between an 81/85) so you could get a side by side comparison that way (or they probably have a guitar there with an 81/85 in it)