aberdeen-music

Gig not appeared...again

kirkt

In my opinion this is one good reason the site is declining in popularity, or at least seems to be. I did make suggestions regarding this earlier here:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/comments-suggestions/63887-gigs-announcements.html#post876865

I noticed that the site was looking for someone to sell advertising space on its behalf. If that is the case it is essential the site does not forget its raison d'tre as the popularity of the site is the key selling point for potential advertisers.

If being a staff member meant doing this and this only as the sole responsibility, I'd jump in and offer to help. But it doesn't, and I'd probably be shite at the other stuff.

There's no reason why there shouldn't be staff members who ONLY deal with the Gigs & Events forum and in fact, it makes a lot of sense.

There should be a form-based system that works. Key info about the gig, followed by a space to write a bit of blurb about it. Linked to the calendar - does the 'what's on'/calendar thing actually work?

I know it's easy to stand back and criticise and what not, but if there was a system that was limited enough such that they didn't have to go through an approval process would that not be better? There is enough of a core group of users of this site that would quickly highlight/report anything that wasn't right or had no place here if the need for that was made known to us all.

There should be a form-based system that works

There should be but there isn't. I agree with the general thrust of what you're saying but from what I can tell that's just not how the software works.

I think the system in place is more complicated than a simple approval process. If it were as easy as hitting an 'approve' button there'd surely be less mishaps. I think the info needs to be duplicated just to go into the calender at all.

Ultimately a better software system would be the ultimate goal but right now I don't see why more man hours split across a larger working team couldn't sort the problem.

I would happily see someone like Fox or other board users get involved.

Is the the BEST system in place for management of the forum section? A post written circa 2005? Can we not get a competent administrator to sort this all out?

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/gigs-event-announcements/1703-how-do-i-add-my-event-s-calendar.html

There seems to be a lot of stuff on ab-music is done a certain way simply because it's the way it has always been done and the question 'what would be a better way of doing this?' is rarely asked. Or maybe it is, but the actual users on the forum are left out of the loop.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.