aberdeen-music

Now Streaming: "I Lost Her to the Sea" by The Deportees

Adam Easy Wishes

As promised, our debut single can now be streamed on the Bedford Records Soundcloud page:

The Deportees - I Lost Her To The Sea by Bedford Records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Let us know what you think! :)

The single is released in all normal ways on the 4th July.

The Deportees

Bedford Records

The Deportees on Facebook

:up:

Review as I listen:

The organ in the start sounds a little odd. Just in the first 4 bars...seems fine now. Production is really nice. Guitars sound lovely. HARMONIES! Love the chord progression in the chorus. Hand claps are always nice/gr8. Christy's ride sounds really nice. Bit of church-y organ mayhem, nice. Singer's voice still doesn't sit right with me. I really cant explain why, but it just does. Middle 8 - all hell breaking loose. I imagine violins being set alight, while the guitarist is shredding this solo. COWBELL! Vocal/organ/mandolin? Nice refrain. Waiting for it to kick back in...maybe a key change? Oh no, it ended.

Hope you can quote some of this as a blurb on a poster.

....Nice refrain. Waiting for it to kick back in...maybe a key change? Oh no, it ended.

I think that not kicking back in and throwing in a key change is the best thing about the track. It would've just dragged itself over the finish line for the sake of self-indulgence. Excellent call on ending it on the refrain/chorus.

xx

I can pretty safely say that no Deportees track will ever have an indulgent, fistpump keychange chorus at the end

[spoiler} Unless Adam reads this and then decides OMG WE JUST GOTTA HAVE ONE OF THOSE!

I feel you're overlooking the value of having a key change. I beg you to reconsider.

This is an undeniably great pop song. Its also the best thing Iain MacPherson has produced (that I've heard). My main qualm with his past work is his drum sound, but he's got them bang on here. BANG ON. My only other problem with Deportees is that Adam's voice does verge on show tuney at times, but it is more understated in this track. Really nice. Overall an excellent effort on every part. This is a promising relationship between band and producer.

Thanks very much! Iain and I worked like trojans on the drum sound (we started with very different ideas of what sounds good) but I think we got there in the end.

Nobody is a bigger critic of Adam's voice than himself, but a level of 'drama' (for want of a better word) is inherent in being a baritone. Fragile just isn't in his range.

Glad that people seem to be diggin it! Keep on listening and commenting, folks.

I feel a bit bad now that everyone is criticising the vocals.

Adam can definitely sing, and sing well, there's no denying that. I once described his voice to Adam (Morrice/10EW) as being too "rich"...somewhat like a big chocolatey chocolate cake that you cant eat more than a slice of.

Adam can definitely sing, and sing well, there's no denying that. I once described his voice to Adam (Morrice/10EW) as being too "rich"...somewhat like a big chocolatey chocolate cake that you cant eat more than a slice of.

Don't worry, we won't getoffended by any criticism! Been doing this for far too long to start being precious. I love Adam's voice but I fully understand why some people won't. He gets compared to Jimi from Doves a lot, which I think is quite accurate.

His recent bout of laryngitis means that he still can't sing (and we have a gig on Friday). When his voice comes back, it might be deeper and more dramatic than ever!

I like this song and for me more accessible than the last set of demos. The production is pretty crisp. I still think A Single Truth is the best song you've written (that I've heard) though. Is that the B side?

This is spot on.

I like this song and for me more accessible than the last set of demos. The production is pretty crisp. I still think A Single Truth is the best song you've written (that I've heard) though. Is that the B side?

Nope, the B-side is When The Roses Bloom Again.

We have yet to record A Single Truth. :)

This is spot on.

He does like his cocoa.