aberdeen-music

Dirty Hearts Club: An Announcement...

Well, all good things have to come to an end sometime and it is now that we feel its the time for The Dirty Hearts Club to make a change from its current format as a weekly event.

The last Dirty Hearts Club weekly Thursday will be on the Thursday 25th August. However, its not the end quite yet - Its merely time to change things up somewhat. Rather than make a commitment to a weekly party, the DHC will be now take place as an occasional special event at Snafu on a weekend night.

I feel weve done exceptionally well to keep the night going as long as it has in its current format. Considering that when we started (over 5 years ago) we didnt really have a plan, aside from the ethos of putting on good bands and playing good music its been a big success. Originally it was the brainchild of a few people coming together - namely the Snafu gang, Nick Mailer, Euan Duncan and myself. Over time the night grew from its small beginnings to being a bit of a monster which regularly would be sold out to capacity by 12am. Along the way the night has showcased some amazing guests who these days you'd pay a lot more than 3 to see and likely in a much bigger venue - we could list them all but there are too many highlights to mention.

For a long time the club-night was likely responsible for a lot of Friday morning sickies and employee lateness in the city - I'm quite proud of that. The current climate of nightlife options consist of a selection of fun pubs, novelty nights, chain clubs, gimmick nights, music with autotuned vocals from iPod djs, over-priced drinks and costly entry fees - Im absolutely sure Dirty Hearts Club will continue to provide a fresh alternative it will just be on a less regular basis, with more guests and at a weekend - all the better for everyone.

Thanks to all the bands and guest DJs who have played and everyone who has supported the night over the years. Id like to thank Snafu, and in particular its staff for supporting the night for so long. Snafu is an absolute diamond in the rough in this city and I think the scale of how good the guests they manage to get to our tiny city and the effort it takes is quite often under-appreciated.

Obviously, its not over yet - so we hope to see you all on the dancefloor on the Thursdays we have left! Lets make the last ones up to the 25th August are all belters and well also see you at the new night once the details and date is announced!

If your band would like to play a remaining Thursday DHC - get in touch via email.

Email: stevenmilne82@hotmail.com

Steven M

Guest Gladstone

I love(d) DHC, but could only go every now and again because of it being Thursday. I might manage to go the weekend nights a bit more, so looking forward to that!

Well done for keeping this going for so long. Good quality acts week in week out for about 5 years is good - and keeping it busy has been impressive. I always liked the format, particularly when we played - the free guestlist idea worked really well and I wish other venues/nights would work more on a similar basis. Ticket selling can be a bit of a drag for the local bands, but the DHC method of stick your names on a guestlist and you get paid for however many turn up worked really well in my opinion. If I owned a venue, I would unashamedly steal that idea.