aberdeen-music

New York

I'm going next week for 10 days with the gf. Looking for suggestions of nice things to do that I may not already know of/places to eat/places to get a nice sandwich for lunch/good bars/hidden gems of shops that may be a bit less well known.

Any advice will be cool. Already got tickets to see the Yankees and the new york red bulls, all the other major sports over there I'd like to see are in off season so they're no goes.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Katz's is very expensive and the food is only ok (imo) but it is a good experience. The staff are told to be rude to give tourists that authentic new york experience.

I'd second Cake Shop. Check out what gigs are on whilst you're there at the following places: Arlene's Grocery, Mercury Lounge, Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall, The Bell House (My favorite, worth the trek to Brooklyn), Music Hall Williamsburg, Littlefield

Go to a rooftop bar. They tend to be pricey but it's worth it for the views/vibes. 230 Fifth Avenue is cool. The waitresses are hella sexy too. There are others with better views but my mind is drawing a blank.

Adidas originals store in soho is awesome. Just the best. If you're an adidas fan that is.

Definitely go to the highline. - a raised garden/public space in chelsea. They've just opened a new section and people are jizzing over it.

For Pizza, go to any of the places Jon Stewart mentions in this video: Me Lover's Pizza with Crazy Broad - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 06/01/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central. They generally are considered the best. Joe's on Carmine St is right next door to my work too so I might get a stalk if you go. That vid is hilarious btw.

I'll post more suggestions when I get some time. What kind of things are you looking for? types of restaurants, activities, etc?

Habana Outpost is worth the trek to Fort Greene, Brooklyn. It's a bar/restaurant I discovered not too long ago with an awesome outdoor bit where they put on events and screen films etc. Really unique atmosphere. Check out what's on there coz you might get lucky and see something like this: YouTube - ‪Habana Outpost/BlockParty with KRS-ONE‬‏

the david letterman show is free entry. if you hang around outside a couple of hours before, you can usually get free tickets, then come back half an hour before it starts. kevin spacey and some tidy bint from gilmore girls were the guests when i went along. i think the studio is around 54th and 7th. the bowery at st marks is great too. cbgbs and tenement 94 and 96 is the cover to physical grafitti.

rockerfeller plaza is where good morning america is filmed. they usually have a band on fridays, but its an early start. we saw blondie with lily allen, both were poop but clem burke was awesome on drums.

hope that helps.

Catch the ferry (which is free) to Staten Island and time your return for dusk and see Manhatten lit up in all it's glory.

You get good views as well by taking the subway to New Jersey and catching a ferry back

Hire bikes for Central Park.

I thought the Movie and TV tour was good fun but mainly because the kids liked it.

Aye, it's called 'Please Don't Tell' - it's not that exciting. It's just the whole getting in process. If i remember right you've got to use the phone booth in a hot dog place next door to gain entry.

There are tonnes of clandestino bars that don't have signs and you've gotta knock on a door round the back of a chinese laundry and the like to get in. They're more often than not frequented by really objectionable turbo-hipsters. I saw a girl with a moustache in one of these places. A girl. With a moustache. On her face. For fashion purposes. A moustache.

Catch the ferry (which is free) to Staten Island and time your return for dusk and see Manhatten lit up in all it's glory.

You get good views as well by taking the subway to New Jersey and catching a ferry back

Hire bikes for Central Park.

I thought the Movie and TV tour was good fun but mainly because the kids liked it.

Yeah I think we are going to do the Movie and TV tour bought a new york pass for all the attractions so will just do a bunch of stuff that sounds decent.

Roosevelt island is one of the strangest places in new York. In the middle of all the hustle and bustle there's this slim piece of land with hospitals at each end, a football pitch and not much else. Its worth visiting for the eerie tranquility and you can walk around it in about an hour. You would have thought it'd be prime real estate but it's a total mish mash of people who live there. Apparently noone wants to live there because you have to take the subway to do anything after 10pm.

If you've got an iPhone you could download my company's app. It's called NYCWay. Good for planning your trip before you go and you can also use about 80% of it offline when you're there to avoid roaming charges. If you know the adress of your hotel u can plug it in to see what's nearby. Restaurants, bars, etc. Huge update coming next week too.