aberdeen-music

STV Local continue coverage of Northern Lights Showcases

No luck with Ross?

Again, I could be wrong but I'm sure it has been said earlier in this thread or elsewhere that running order is decided on the night for these showcases.

nah not getting a reply sadly, turns out he is the contact we had in the first place, he must be busy.. i didn't realise that was the case with running order, but if so, that is a pretty weird way to do it. hey ho, we're getting to play so i'm not complaining

does anyone have contact details for the people dealing with the Drummonds showcase tonight? We (the Secret City Sounds) are playing and haven't been told anything about what time we need to soundcheck or what time we are on stage! all we can get a hold of right now is barstaff who understandably aren't sure of what the story is.

From my experience, it's been the case of the bands just showing up at 7ish and the running order is arranged when you're there. Soundchecks then pretty much follow the usual thing of last band soundchecks first etc.

I will say again that along with everyone else there is a submisson form filled out for you from your showcase by a judge. I dont know from the signature on it who this particular judge is but there is def feedback on your performnace in the magical blue folder mate.

The idea was that the "judge" wouldnt be easily identified. In the past this has led to issued and people claiming favourtism etc. That is the reason that I have nothing to do with the choice, because people had already had a minor fit because I happen to manage/book for certain local bands.

I assure you once again that all showcases have been handled in the same way. Obviously I cant control which ones STV decide to turn up to or indeed which ones crowds turn up to, but there has consistenly been a judge at each event.

Alright, cheers Ross. Sorry for sounding like a stuck-up cock but I'm sure you can understand the frustration. See you Tuesday :)

the mystery surrounding tonight's gig is unreal! i don't suppose any other forum members are playing/attending tonight and have an idea of running order? we're bringing a fairly decent crowd down but have no idea what to tell them regarding what time we are on...

the last thing i want is for us to bring a crowd down and them to drift off during the other acts, as a) it's crap to be playing and see people leaving during your set, and b) we want to make the best impression possible and a big crowd will go a long way to achieving that goal... obviously with a show on a weekday night, it's been hard enough to persuade a bunch of people to come in the first place!

Just seen this now - dont know where you were emailing or calling but Ive not got any messages mate - obviously the gig has passed now anyway but apologies

My email is rosstunnels@live.co.uk for Tunnels/Drummonds related stuff.

or you can email info@thetunnels.co.uk

Failing that someone in the booking side of things are in Drummonds on 01224 619930 at least 12-5 most days.

Obv too late for you but if anyone else needs anything there you go.

Yes. They're changing the showcases into a kind of battle of the bands for cash instead -

"Due to the unexpected cancellation of the Northern Lights Music Festival, the organisers felt that due to the overwhelming support from local bands, that they should offer an alternative competition to win a cash prize of 2000 plus a paid weekend gig..

This tournament is open to all bands who have previously taken part in a Northern Lights Showcase and also any new bands wishing to take part.

Bands need to play one showcase, of which one winner will be selected each night, followed by a paid weekend gig which will be the semi-final, ending with a final event to decide the overall winner."

Don't know about anyone else, but The Lorelei will still be playing at Drummonds tomorrow night.