aberdeen-music

Arctic Monkeys @ AECC 6th Nov 2011

Guest Gladstone

Yup - I am a big fan, but thought they were boring as fuck live at AECC last time. I suspect they'll be much better this time though. I'm basing that on, well, nothing.

I've seen them three times and thought they were very good at T in the Park (about 2006ish?), but not so good at Glastonbury 2007 and worse at AECC.

Been liking what I've heard of the new album though, so I'm up for checking them out again!

Humbug was awesome! I do agree that the new one is better though.

I'd like to see them again. The only time I've seen them was at Reading the summer before their debut came out and I hadn't heard any of their songs before it.

While on the topic I'd rank their albums:

Favourite Worst Nightmare > Suck it and See > Humbug > WPSIATIWIN

I still think their first album is the best, great toooons.

The others are good too but not as many memorable songs. Although I've not listened to the new one as yet.

I thought they were pretty dreadful live at AECC last time, looked like they couldn't be arsed. Was that when The Horrors supported? They were pish as well. Wish they had been hawking their second album at that point, that would have been better.

Guest Gladstone
I still think their first album is the best, great toooons.

The others are good too but not as many memorable songs. Although I've not listened to the new one as yet.

I thought they were pretty dreadful live at AECC last time, looked like they couldn't be arsed. Was that when The Horrors supported? They were pish as well. Wish they had been hawking their second album at that point, that would have been better.

That's right - I forgot the Horrors supported. Fucking balls.

• 4 months later...

Gig was ok tonight.

Was surprised tickets were still available today and black market ones for peanuts.

The Vaccines were very good and the Arctic Monkeys were ok. I did expect more though compared to what I've seen before.

Again I found myself surrounded by too many idiots at the gig. The gig and go bus back was horrendous. Too much nonsense and trouble.

Still can't warm to the aecc for a venue.

Guest Gladstone

Gig last night was awesome. Start to finish. Arctic Monkeys were on fire - so much better than last time. Delighted I gave them a chance to redeem themselves... Stage presence was really good. I liked the no nonsense approach as well. I think that's what they were trying for before - all about the music without crazy backdrops or gimicks or any of that shit, but their set was so much tighter - in terms of no fucking about between songs and Alex Turner is now a good frontman. He looked like he was fucking enjoying himself last night instead of just standing behind his mic, saying fuck all between songs and pretty much looking bored out his tits like last time. Nice quiff too...

Caught about 4 songs of the Vaccines - they were pretty fucking good too although something went a bit shit with the sound in their last two songs.

Someone does need to turn the front of house sound down just one notch in AECC. I was right at the back and still had sair lugs at the end.

And I thought I'd get away from the morons by standing at the back, but it wasn't to be. Some very very drunk folk were pissing me off... I try not to get too annoyed because they are out enjoying themselves at a gig and I'm being a boring sober cunt, but when they start managing to bump into you when there's fucking loads of space round about them it pisses me off. I came close to my first act of violence in my adult life... Just managed to contain myself though. :)

With regard to Arctic Monkeys and the Vaccines on the 6th of Nov, they were both entertaining and sounded great. The AECC didnt seem to have as much of that annoying tacky-tin noise that is usually emitted to the crowd. Can't really help it though being in a big metal warehouse.