aberdeen-music

Nba

waltz

A colleague just told me that a woman on the subway this morning turned to a random asian guy and asked 'So what do you think of Jeremy Lin?' Pretty much sums up the vibe at the moment. People are talking about the knicks again. When they got Carmelo there was a brief period where people gave a shit but that quickly dissipated. Now everywhere you go people have Knicks chat. Anthony was the only one playing well whilst Amare was out but Amare and Lin look like a solid pair

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone up for some Basketball chat?

The Knicks v Nets game just now was fucking fantastic from beginning to end. Deron Williams is a superstar IMO. They way he can just dictate a game is phenomenal and he's gotta be one of, if not the, best passers of the ball out there. The Knicks probably missed the grit of Jason Kidd a little but I really don't think he would have made the difference - it could have gone either way, the Nets just finished stronger.

He looks like a big useless lummox but some pair of hands around the net that lad Brook Lopez has.

Not had the chance to see all the teams yet this season. I've watched all but one Nets games and a few Knicks games. So far the Grizzlies look boss, the Celtics look terrible and Kyle Irving looks like one of the greatest players of all time - such a prospect.

OKC led Charlotte by 40 points at halftime today - LOL

I was at the Knicks Pistons game last Sunday and the Knicks made hard work of them. 'Melo was totally carrying that team and when he was getting his rest minutes they were pretty woeful.

The Heat have always been my team really happy with the role players they are surrounding the big three with this season should win the East.

Dwight's inability at the free throw line is utter comedy. Teams just need to keep fouling him and its a tactic that works coz he's complete horse.

Interesting take on Melo's influence. I don't think they are overly reliant on him from what I've seen. Yes, he's the star but they have so many players performing well at the moment. They would undoubtedly miss his 20-30 point contributions though. JR smith looks like a new player (still prone to the odd blooper but his intensity and concentration has improved so much compared to last year), Tyson Chandler is still a rock and the second string, Jason Kidd in particular, has been solid so far. Itl be interesting when Amare is back - cant see him being content with a spot on the bench but if he can swallow his pride and just do the job the knicks could be in with a shout this year.

My Nets almost beat the Heat the other day. As much ad I can't stand him, I gotta say Lebron is the ultimate game winner. He just schooled them in the last few minutes. That kind of by-the-balls taking when its tight is what Kobe is lacking so far this year and the reason the Lakers are stuttering. They'll be fine though.

I'm an Orlando Magic guy. It's been a decent season so far, really. Couple of really decent wins over the Warriors and Lakers in the past couple of days, it was particularly enjoyable to give Dwight's boys a good hammering in the 4th on Sunday. I'm surprised we're not deliberately tanking as this team is full of completely mediocre players with almost no trade value. Really need to stock-up on quality in forthcoming drafts and free agencies.

I like LeBron because he's on my team but I can see why he gets so much hate because of the 'decision'. In fairness to him though staying in Cleveland was a death sentence they consistently failed to surround him with any talent and he took them on his back to the conference games and finals. It would have worn him down eventually. Even MJ had help to win titles you cant compare any of the teams he had with the guff LeBron dealt with in Cleveland. Now he's joined another (slightly injured) superstar and a very good 3rd in Bosh.

I always think the Heat lack a (good) big veteran center but they survived without one last year hopefully they can again...

The Wizards beating the Heat was pretty cool. I don't like the diddy teams getting thrashed week in week out.

OKC @ Nets was such a good game. The Thunder's shooting was impeccable, everything was going in - an under strength Nets team did well to get within 2 in the last quarter and if it wasn't for a dubious goal tending call on Kris Kardashian they might just have pipped it. Without Brook 'great hands for a big guy' Lopez you would think there's no way they could score 100+ although maybe the fact that OKC's defence seems to be a case of 'fuck it, let them have it, we'll just score more' flattered the Nets.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Knicks absolutely destroyed the Lakers last night. Melo scored 20+ points in the first quarter then went off injured but by that time they were already on cruise control. Much talk of Melo being in with a shout for MVP this year and I can totally see why. They were shooting something ridiculous like 70% 3-points before that game, seemed to miss a lot more than usual so that's probably gone down some but their accuracy from outside is impressive. Seems like every player has turned into a 3-point shooter, except chandler obviously, who created all the chances with his rebounds. He got 4 rebounds in a row at the en of the fourth which gave the Knicks the ball for a full 2 minutes.

So the Knicks absolutely destroyed the Lakers last night. Melo scored 20+ points in the first quarter then went off injured but by that time they were already on cruise control. Much talk of Melo being in with a shout for MVP this year and I can totally see why. They were shooting something ridiculous like 70% 3-points before that game, seemed to miss a lot more than usual so that's probably gone down some but their accuracy from outside is impressive. Seems like every player has turned into a 3-point shooter, except chandler obviously, who created all the chances with his rebounds. He got 4 rebounds in a row at the en of the fourth which gave the Knicks the ball for a full 2 minutes.

I don't see the Knicks winning the Championship this year. Playoff basketball always comes down to making easy shots and the Knicks don't really do that, you can't rely on 3s and outside shooting all the way through. That's what killed the really good Suns teams of a few years ago lights out shooting in regular season but if that fades in the tough matches then you're in trouble. Chandler gets a couple of Alley-oops a game but no one really controls the paint.

Melo is playing brilliantly though but the MVP usually gets unfairly leaned on team wins as well as individual performance and I think he'll get nudged out by Durant or maybe Lebron again.

How well is THE BEARD playing in Houston now by the way! Great move by the Rockets GM Harden has been playing for the team in OKC for seasons now and he's getting his chance to shine.

Oh, cool, I can post in here too. I watched the Raptors vs the Nets when I was in Toronto and it was pretty cool. Way more fun than the NFL game. The Nets' number 8 looked decent, I got kind of drunk, and I got my photo taken with some cheerleaders. See?

530387_10151216951651997_1089828597_n.jpg

The weirdest part was that they continued to play music once the game had started. Also, that blonde cheerleader definitely wanted me to back the fuck off.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the season has officially started now that christmas is done with.

Avery Johnson getting the boot from the Nets wasn't entirely unexpected but a little strange considering they didn't even have a losing record. Their defence has really shored up in the 3 games since he's gotten the dunt and they were untouchable against OKC last night. I'm not 100% sure that wouldn't have happened had he not been fired but thems the breaks - Something needed to happen to kickstart them again.

Elsewhere, the Clippers went on that immense run of 17 unbeaten. They look the real deal this year.

Knicks have plateaued a little lately. Amare is back, which is a weird thing - fans are a bit gutted about a star player's return coz it might upset the equilibrium. He didn't do much the other night so hard to tell what it'll do to the team, we'll see how that goes.

Also... this: http://gothicginobili.com/?p=3360 it's fucking amazing!

It was October but yeah, a bit crazy. The owner is serious about this team like.

Apparently DWill has been pretty good through the whole thing. He actually came out and said he thought Avery should still be in charge an shifted the blame onto himself, saying he's never played so bad etc. he did get two previous coaches fired though.

• 2 weeks later...

r.e. the above London game... the mics cutting out at the beginning was classic. Such shoddy organization. Amare battled through it but Tayshaun Prince was all 'fuck it'.

Nets are 9-1 in January, unbeaten at home in 2013 and looking really good. Knicks have hit a slump, although they beat the Celtics last night - just. Amare and Shumpert are back and I wonder how much that has effected Carmelo. He looked utterly terrible last night and airballed 4 times - something he just never does.

• 4 weeks later...

Slam Dunk contest was terrible. All star game was pretty crap too (relatively speaking of course, I still think it's a great thing to have and I wish they did something similar in football)

Think about it - you could have a free kick competition, a penalty shootout, a skills competition, then everyone would be doing lollipops and trying 30 yard overheads in the actual game... it'd be amazing!