aberdeen-music

Arcade Games at Codonas

Guest Cool Thinker

Mario Kart, with the full sit-inside-the-car arcade racing game experience. It also takes a photo of your mug before you start, so when you overtake your mate/arch nemesis, a massive picture of your face hovers over. It's a right laugh.

Can't remember if it's in Codonas or Nobles. Never sure which one is which. It's the one where the entrance is on the beach front, and not facing Asda.

I can't think why in this day and age of Xboxes, PS3s etc someone will still want to put 1 or more into an arcade machine for less than 2 minutes of gameplay.

Arcades were great in the '80s. Now they're shite.

Exactly what I was thinking, look at the Wii, X-Box's Kinect, PS3's Move and the quality of console games in general.

Do you really want to spend an afternoon in a building with about half a dozen over priced games that give you two minutes play per pound with nosy, truanting kids looking over your shoulder telling you what buttons to press when you could do it all in the comfort of your own home without any of that?!?!?

Only thing good at Codonas is the punching game where your shite, pixellated photograph gets more shite and pixellated and distorted as you plough the shit out of it with a rubbish, burst, foamy glove.

Daytona. Best arcade game ever. I 'member when they got that in the Broch arcade (it's not there any more, don't bother looking). 1993. I'd pump my entire weeks pocket money into it in about 10 minutes and then have no money left. Fucking awesome game. I did the same with Mortal Kombat.

Is the Ambassador gone like?

Daytona. Best arcade game ever. I 'member when they got that in the Broch arcade (it's not there any more, don't bother looking). 1993. I'd pump my entire weeks pocket money into it in about 10 minutes and then have no money left. Fucking awesome game. I did the same with Mortal Kombat.

Is the Ambassador gone like?

Closed down a good whiley ago, the building was falling apart I believe

Genuinely gutted to learn the ambassadors is no more. I think I knew that anyway but must have forgotten. One of my favourite places in Aberdeen. The people who worked there were rough as fuck, it was lovely.

Codonas can fuck off. Waste of space. Even as a kid I thought it was shit and it literally hasn't changed since. And that glove! You could smell the thing from five paces away.

Cadonas was fantastic back in the early 90's. Loads of arcade games, a slightly seedy atmosphere, it was a cracking place. Rambo Land was bigger as well, I swear.

Then Sunset Boulevard came along and ruined part of it by being far too bright and airy, as well as having far too modern games. And then the abdomination that is the Boardwalk came along :(

The death of the stand-up arcade cabinet is something that I hate :( I even remember the brilliance of Stonehaven arcade (is it still there?) back in the day before it became just another pool 'n' bandits place. Thankfully, the local train station here still has a fair few decent games at a very reasonable price.

And more importantly, is that bloke with the long hair still working on the Waltzers and sleazing on all the drunk teenagers?