aberdeen-music

Why is U2 so popular?

Guest Giles Walker

U2 do seem to polarise people, my brother who is general pretty gothy or at least rockier in his tastes always goes to see U2 and even went to the 3d cionema showing they did a few years ago, he thinks they're brilliant and often people seem to hate U2 for bono. Bono can be a hypocrite, lots of being vocal about charity and then charge a months wages in South Amercian countries, I have no doubt he does some good but then he ruins it by flying his hat first class to a gig because he forgot it etc - if poverty's that big a deal buy a new hat and donate the 2 grand to charity !!

I quite like their stuff and like their greatest hits album, not that interested in most of their other stuff though might like to see them live some day.

You could pretty much substitute any long-standing band into this article - The Stones, AC/DC, Neil Young, etc. They have such a wide-ranging back catalogue that the audience naturally wants to hear a wadge of the well-known songs. It would probably be to the band's advantage to try and shoehorn in as much of the new album as possible to try and boost sales but they know their audience. Bob Dylan probably stands alone in playing what he wants, how he wants. He doesn't give a f**k. I went to see Neil Young at AECC, I'm glad he played loads of old, well-known songs. I would have been well p**sed off if I had to endure endless songs from his latest tossed out quickie.

U2 are an easy target, trendoid indie dicks seem to love to make them the target of their ire, when in fact bands such as the beloved Manics are probably more laughable than U2 have ever become. At least U2 didn't claim they would split up after their 1st album only to go on to make some of the most turgid MOR pap that has ever been seen. U2 have reinvented themselves a couple of times when they didn't have to, sometimes with differing success but at least they tried.

Bono is probably one of the best frontmen that has existed, he can connect with an audience effortlessly but he gets into all the charity and political gubbins and that seems to wind folk up. I have never thought he takes himself as seriously as the majority of people seem to take him.

As you can probably gather I am a long-standing U2 fan, I don't have any need to make my tastes palatable for the alterna-gronks on here.

And that article is just shite. 'The Joshua Tree' and it's attendant over-exposed singles is probably all the guy has ever heard.

This is pretty much spot on. The journalist who wrote the peace is just trying to be cool and edgy and appeal to indie snobs. If U2 was swapped out to R.E.M. the same people who would have lapped up this article would be crying over their vinyl copies of Murmour.

But he's helping Geldoff make it snow in Africa for Christmas..? How could you possibly dislike someone who's trying to bring sub-zero temperatures to an impoverished people with little/no clothing or shelter??

xx

He's not trying to make it snow, just commenting there won't be snow, which is also wrong, there is always snow on the peak of Killimanjaro... just saying...

Ah, well I think it sounds pretty amazing. He can make those two notes completely change a song using the correct delay. I see that as genuine creativity and talent.

Correct.

Interpol, Editors, etc all owe U2 a big debt IMO.

U2 also know how to put on a decent show. Muse are following the same line. Everyone hates them as well, surprise. Best just sit in pishy little toilets of venues watching something highly credible yet highly dull. Much better.

I can totally get why some people dislike U2 but I'm not aware of them ever being the credible output from the whole late-80's post-punk fallout, Echo and the Bunnymen had much more credibility. I don't think anyone could deny that they have certainly made attempts to reinvent their output. If you just inherently dislike them then whatever they do will just pass you by.

The 'Under a Blood Red Sky' live album was my starting point, I then went back to the first 3 albums (still my favourites) and it went on from there. I've been a bit up and down with them since the turn of the millenium, I am starting to think their day has perhaps definitely gone but I'll always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Guest Gladstone

I think U2 are over-rated, but I still like them. Saw U2 live at Hampden a few years ago and it was a cracking show. Bono is a great frontman.

That comment up above about Edge's guitar playing seems a bit off the mark - it's simple so therefore it's shit? Na, fuck that. I often think that if you do something that's fairly unique but sounds good, the fact that it's simple makes it even more impressive.

U2 are a very long way from even being close to one of my favourite bands, but they get way over the top criticism. It's weird, because I do still think they are over-rated which is a bit of a contradiction - over-rated yet over-criticised.

What the fuck am I talking about?

That comment up above about Edge's guitar playing seems a bit off the mark - it's simple so therefore it's shit? Na, fuck that. I often think that if you do something that's fairly unique but sounds good, the fact that it's simple makes it even more impressive.

I don't think I was clear enough in my criticism - I LOVE simple guitar parts. Simpler the better. I'm not one for over-the-top mathy stuff.

That said, I get irked by the hero worship aimed towards Edge, because he isn't a particularly interesting or impressive guitarist (IMO). I find the majority of U2 songs ignorable and bland, but that's just my taste. They don't inspire my scorn (other than Bono's public cuntishness but that's neither here nor there). What does, however, inspire my scorn is the unabashed love people seem to have for such a bland band. The same goes for Oasis and a myriad of other bands like that.

It most likely comes down to the bands people grew up with and relate to rather than musical content per se.

I just get fucking irritated when I see another 'top 100 guitarists OF ALL TIME LOL FTW YOU CAN IGNORE ALL PREVIOUS POLLS BECAUSE THIS ONE IS TEH AWESOME!!" and it has Noel Gallagher, Edge and John Squire in the top 10.

xx

I don't think I was clear enough in my criticism - I LOVE simple guitar parts. Simpler the better. I'm not one for over-the-top mathy stuff.

That said, I get irked by the hero worship aimed towards Edge, because he isn't a particularly interesting or impressive guitarist (IMO). I find the majority of U2 songs ignorable and bland, but that's just my taste. They don't inspire my scorn (other than Bono's public cuntishness but that's neither here nor there). What does, however, inspire my scorn is the unabashed love people seem to have for such a bland band. The same goes for Oasis and a myriad of other bands like that.

It most likely comes down to the bands people grew up with and relate to rather than musical content per se.

I just get fucking irritated when I see another 'top 100 guitarists OF ALL TIME LOL FTW YOU CAN IGNORE ALL PREVIOUS POLLS BECAUSE THIS ONE IS TEH AWESOME!!" and it has Noel Gallagher, Edge and John Squire in the top 10.

xx

Do you play for the covers band Sanctuary? As in the one that lists U2 amongst it's repertoire?

I don't think I've ever picked up on The Edge being particularly revered as a guitarist in terms of technique, rather for having his own distinctive style.

Do you play for the covers band Sanctuary? As in the one that lists U2 amongst it's repertoire?

I don't think I've ever picked up on The Edge being particularly revered as a guitarist in terms of technique, rather for having his own distinctive style.

I do, and we do play a U2 song. I joined the band recently when they had a full repertoire and unfortunately U2 is in there. There is also an Oasis tune in there.

I joined the band for a bit of fun and some spare cash. Cover bands play songs to please their target audience, so personal dislikes for bands get pushed aside in favour of popularity. When it comes to artistic merit and personal taste, I have Remembering Needleman, playing original material for a pittance out of the sheer love of it.

Regarding your second point, it may be that I have misinterpreted the nature of the superlatives I've heard heaped unto Edge but I still think mediocrity should remain bereft of adulation.

Plus, no man in his fucking fifties should wear a beanie, the cunt.

xx

I do, and we do play a U2 song. I joined the band recently when they had a full repertoire and unfortunately U2 is in there. There is also an Oasis tune in there.

I joined the band for a bit of fun and some spare cash. Cover bands play songs to please their target audience, so personal dislikes for bands get pushed aside in favour of popularity. When it comes to artistic merit and personal taste, I have Remembering Needleman, playing original material for a pittance out of the sheer love of it.

Regarding your second point, it may be that I have misinterpreted the nature of the superlatives I've heard heaped unto Edge but I still think mediocrity should remain bereft of adulation.

Plus, no man in his fucking fifties should wear a beanie, the cunt.

xx

You have some really irrational issues! Why is there an age limit on a hat?

Baldness Issues = Cunt

Science, bitches.

xx

Why should having image/self-confidence issues make anyone a cunt? I know plenty of people with thinning hair (myself included i must say) and it is a constant source of misery. The fact that it's a unavoidable reality (although that's not strictly true) doesn't soften the blow.

Guest Giles Walker

This is an answer to a question posed on Quora, the person who wrote it is probably not a journalist, it is just his opinion, he might have even just been doing it for comic effect.

Here is a bit about the website.

"About Quora

Quora is a continually improving collection of questions and answers created, edited, and organized by everyone who uses it. The most important thing is to have each question page become the best possible resource for someone who wants to know about the question."

I mean, a quick click on the link i posted could have told you that, but i guess you guys have busy lives...

Anyway i gotta be off to a toilet venue to see some real indie musics.

Slates x x

Plot synopsis for 'Die Hard 5' - Stroopy121 calls John McClane a bald cunt and gets the shit kicked out of him for 90 minutes. Soundtrack by The Edge. I'd watch it.

Bruce Willis doesn't wear a beanie, does not have baldness issues and is, ergo, not a cunt. Get your fucking story straight.

I'm adding to my list of U2 gripes that any man who adds a 'The' to their stage name deserves to be raped by hyenas.

xx

Why should having image/self-confidence issues make anyone a cunt? I know plenty of people with thinning hair (myself included i must say) and it is a constant source of misery. The fact that it's a unavoidable reality (although that's not strictly true) doesn't soften the blow.

I'm balding myself - it's not that big a deal.

Man up.

xx