aberdeen-music

Bass : fingers or pick?

voodoo_chile

Guest scott cs.

i play with a pick mostly, i've been practising playing with my fingers but i'm not all that good. if i'm jamming out some blues then i usually use my fingers, if i'm playing Five Finger Discount stuff, pick all the way.

Agree 100%' date=' fingers sound much better in my opinion.[/quote']

Depends what your playing, i mean if your playing insanly fast punk like NoFx or old blink stuff you will need a pick, i've tryed you'zing fingures and its pain full.

I prefer fingure tho :) maybe a bit of slap pop but that was'nt your question.

It's just about what sound you are after really. You can play fast punk/metal stuff with your fingers and it's good training for your technique. I'm quite into playing acid jazz type stuff and there is alot of pretty fast string skipping stuff which only sounds good if played with the fingers.

I used to frown on bassists that used a pick, but have changed my mind as sometimes it can sound right. I must confess to using a pick in some of the Electric Tibet stuff, but only because it sounds right for the tunes I use it on.

i use both really. but im a pick player normally but sometimes i use my fingers. it depends how im feeling but like Graham above i use distortion as well as and when i can so to save it sounding muddy i use the good ol pick. probably about 90%pick if not more really and about 0%slap and pop...really dislike that style.

the thumb, the pop, the tip, the pick, the tap...

what is importat is what fits and what you like...

i generaly use a pick on fast monostrings

tap for solos

finger for everything

pop and slap whn aggressive rithmics are needed

by the way with a correct and well developped technique you can be twice as fast with fingers than with a pick

remeber you have 4 fingers and only one pick i know hard to acheave but not impossible

With picks you can play faster.

Cliff Burton says your wrong.

Back to the subject:

I prefer playing with my fingers.

Both pick and fingers sound good in their own ways, Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) wouldn't have his trademark sound if he used a pick and Lemmy wouldn't have his crazily awesome sound if he used his fingers, the techniques just work best with different genres.

A common misperception!! If you have good technique then fingers can be just as fast!!

Oh yeah and I forgot about slap bass!! In the wrong setting - cheesetastic' date=' but played in the right place - awesome!! :up:[/quote']

yer dosent alex(think thats his name)from cannibal corpse play absolutly mental fast?i seem to remeber that and he only uses his fingers...so ye can get faster using yer fingers when ya think about it...coz ya would have like 3 strokes going after each other whereas yer always going up down up down with a pick...i still prefer a pick but fingers can definitly be faster.