aberdeen-music

Beer festival 2011?

Johnny Mac

Is the beer festival Friday and Saturday night, or is it Sunday too?

Brewdog is there all year. Beer festivals are usually a good day out with good beer.

What are Brewdog saying against it? Thought their problem was mass produced tasteless beer?

On another note, bought Brewdog Rip tide from my local Asda and it was only 1 a bottle.

Brewdog have declared war on CAMRA as of late, declining to provide them with any beers for the beer festival and instead launching their own alternative beer festival and using a lot of silly stereotypes about the Pittodrie one (despite they were the showcase brewery for it a few years ago)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

went on fri, havent been that blootered in months. i mean dont get me wrong i've been very very drunk, but i had forgotten just how much scrumpy/real ale sends you to another planet. only problem with all that 'realness' is the sickness. felt like i was gonna throw up right until the moment i passed out and a truly crippling hangover yesterday.

I went on Thursday and Friday. All the beers I tried on Thursday were rather good, none were completely exceptional though but generally good. On Friday, quite a few of the ones I tried on Thursday were finished and I didn't try much that I would drink again by choice. Perhaps I was just unfortunate in what I chose. One previous year I had similar experiences, choosing all the wrong ales.

It also didn't seem to be any busier than what I remembered of last year.

There is a fine line between a bit of cheeky arrogance as marketing ploy and taking all your own hype too seriously and before you know it your former arrogance looks hideously misplaced. Brewdog are in danger of ending up the Robbie Williams of the beer world. Just as he has had to tag back onto the coattails of his former band, Brewdog could end up screaming to get a few beers on the CAMRA menu...

There is a fine line between a bit of cheeky arrogance as marketing ploy and taking all your own hype too seriously and before you know it your former arrogance looks hideously misplaced. Brewdog are in danger of ending up the Robbie Williams of the beer world. Just as he has had to tag back onto the coattails of his former band, Brewdog could end up screaming to get a few beers on the CAMRA menu...

Have to agree, used to think some of the marketing ploys were quite funny but they're in danger of becoming fannies now.

Have to admit, I've never found a Brewdog beer that I really love yet.

I have to say that I think the beer festival could benefit from a bit of imagination in future years. There's only ever a maximum of one food stall in the place, fairly limited seating etc. On Friday, most of what I tried resembled generic tar-like dark ale and was enjoyed fairly averagely by me. I had fun and will go back next year but some extra facilities would be nice.

Anyone have an idea of what was going on with the large number of glass breakages in short succession on Friday?

I don't think BrewDog are being fannies as such. They are pretty full on sometimes though. Apparently they don't really do a great deal of 'cask' ale (although Trashy Blonde on cask is amazing). And Camra won't allow keg beers at the festival, hence the big hoo-hah!

Like a bunch of old wifies, all of them.

Although apparently they will be at the Great British Beer Festival later in the year:

The CAMRA Great British Beer Festival 2011

Good point about the facilites too.... more food stalls etc should be available that go well with particular beers for example. Can't imagine it would be too difficult to do.

The bags they gave you for your glasses on the way home were poop too.... mine fell out the bottom straight away and smashed all over the place. I was pretty boats mind you.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

that is why we took 7 away with us. the other reason is that my one was still half full of cider. i'm a bad boy, somebody spank me

• Upvote 1