aberdeen-music

E3 2011

keeno

Anyone been following this? Microsofts announcements have been pretty dull. Just trying to promote Kinect more to 'hardcore' gamers by incorporating it into Forza etc

However Playstation have announced 2 exciting things. The Playstation Vita (NGP/PSP2) and also a TV that allows 2 players to use one screen and both see different images. Proper coop one one screen, which just sounds mental!

The Vita is to be sold at 230 for the standard wifi and 280 for the 3g+wifi according to what retailers have on websites. That is really good value for money given what is on offer and I'm probably going to start saving!

Sony's PlayStation Vita: first hands-on impressions -- Engadget

The only concern for me is battery life. I'd like it to be more than the 4-5 hours of the PSP/3DS but that is pretty unlikely. In fact the NGP was initially supposed to be as powerful as a PS3 but they scaled that back due to battery life and overheating issues. Pricing it the same as the 3DS is a good move though, and other than the 3D gimmick, the Vita destroys the 3DS spec wise and also with the potential of the games. The modnation racers trailer shows an amazing track editor feature that is very impressive for a handheld.

Lots of game trailers and screenshots -> NGP Games No Games Portable

The other announcement was the playstation 3dtv.

PlayStation branded 3D telly, glasses News - PlayStation 3 - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

It may be a little small at 24" but the two player element is pretty revolutionary. It is apparently $500 so if it comes here around the 400 mark It could well be the first affordable 3dtv. Some screenshots to demonstrate how it works...

ss_preview_5805262429_d412f3eaba_b.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

ss_preview_5805822264_4d3701731c_b.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

ss_preview_5805262375_c2020e75da_b.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

It does look a bit weird though!

ss_preview_5805260905_7e6312ca7b_b.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

Guessing this was Nintendos thought process for E3.

>people like small controllers that can be used to represent weapons and sports equipment

>OK THEN LET'S MAKE A GIANT FUCKING TABLET CONTROLLER

Proof Nintendo have no clue about gaming anymore. Look at the fucking thing.

110457-satoru-iwata-president-of-nintendo-co-ltd-presents-the-new-wii-u-contr.jpg

Surely you could have made some ds compatibility for that? Fuck off Nintendo.

Guessing this was Nintendos thought process for E3.

>people like small controllers that can be used to represent weapons and sports equipment

>OK THEN LET'S MAKE A GIANT FUCKING TABLET CONTROLLER

It looks like a giant sega game gear! They seem to have put the analog sticks on the wrong side of the controller, it's 'unique', but I don't think it will be natural for many gamers. Also they need to stick a decent D pad on the controller instead of the same one used on the wii!

Wii-U-007.jpg

As expected it's also only a single touch screen, as opposed to the playstation VITA and every new smartphone/tablet PC.

I also love how in the launch they used game footage from PS3 and Xbox 360 games. We still don't know how powerful it is, although I'd imagine to keep costs down it will be about the same as the current xbox, (just as the wii was on par with the previous generation consoles). I'd hope they are better than on the launch trailer although that is probably just a demo they threw together very quickly to announce it.

The launch trailer isn't that impressive either. I seriously hope they have better and more innovative games planned than those. At the moment it just looks like an expensive upgrade like the balance board was.

It looks like a giant sega game gear! They seem to have put the analog sticks on the wrong side of the controller, it's 'unique', but I don't think it will be natural for many gamers. Also they need to stick a decent D pad on the controller instead of the same one used on the wii!

Wii-U-007.jpg

As expected it's also only a single touch screen, as opposed to the playstation VITA and every new smartphone/tablet PC.

I also love how in the launch they used game footage from PS3 and Xbox 360 games. We still don't know how powerful it is, although I'd imagine to keep costs down it will be about the same as the current xbox, (just as the wii was on par with the previous generation consoles).

The launch trailer isn't that impressive either. I seriously hope they have better and more innovative games planned than those. At the moment it just looks like an expensive upgrade like the balance board was.

Well it is just the controller so I wouldn't expect it to have everything the top handheld has but still. Nintendo doesn't even seem to understand it's own casual fanbase that the wii got them.

Well it is just the controller so I wouldn't expect it to have everything the top handheld has but still. Nintendo doesn't even seem to understand it's own casual fanbase that the wii got them.

They did show images on the TV in the trailer although I don't think they are anything like the final product. At the moment it is effectively going to be a DS with your TV as the second screen. I will be interested to see how they incorporate wii remotes, since the launch trailer showed interaction between them, and I would imagine you can only use one of the touch screen controllers at a time (they promise zero latency and if the console is handling several of them wirelessly as well as the image on the TV I can't see that working lag free, )

Anyone else excited about the TV that shows 2 separate images? Imagine if that was incorporated into a freeview/sky box as well. You could have your gf watching some fashion guff or glee whilst you were gaming on the same TV. That would be amazing. As long as it has 2 separate sound outputs I wouldn't mind wearing wireless headphones, if it meant avoiding the alternative!

They have patented the technology so that idea may be only a dream :(