aberdeen-music

daemons

framheim

I've been messing about with some recordings, mainly sketches and ideas. I put a bit of effort into this one though and thought i'd seek a little feedback, it's a song we used to do in Winter in Siberia called Listen.

Listen by Daemons on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

It's a little loose but I'm ok with that.

I quite like the song like this and the overall echoey effect, it's quite atmospheric but I would outright bin the background electronic drum beat which doesn't match what is going on with the song in general and is actually quite irritating, to me anyway. I think it could get away with nae drums.

jeez, it's out of time enough as it is and you want me to ditch the drums?! o_O

I get that, I'm quite partial to the drums but could maybe tone them down a bit and make them more sparse.

jeez, it's out of time enough as it is and you want me to ditch the drums?! o_O

I get that, I'm quite partial to the drums but could maybe tone them down a bit and make them more sparse.

A bit of percussion would be good if it was suitably atmospheric, but still 'electronic-y', I quite like that. But the constant thudding just now is a bit off-putting.

cheers for listening! The drums were done using ableton, just two hits with a groove delay and looped forever. they were even busier before but i toned them down a bit and lowered them in the mix, then made them a bit less harsh. I listened to them again today and I still quite like them, I wouldn't say they're 'thudding' but I'll try making them sparser and see how it sounds too.

I'm glad you said loose suited the song trigger! I don't think it was helped by trying to change the second half of the song when it was embedded in my head a certain way before. it felt wrong everytime i played it, and singing it was impossible. guess it just takes getting used to when you change songs around.

I've recorded another old Winter in Siberia song bedroom style, I really like this song and wanted to make sure it was recorded somewhere as we'd never had a stab at recording it.

The Bountiful Harvest by Daemons on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I was aiming for a buoy bell sound at the start and end.

I've recorded another old Winter in Siberia song bedroom style, I really like this song and wanted to make sure it was recorded somewhere as we'd never had a stab at recording it.

The Bountiful Harvest by Daemons on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I was aiming for a buoy bell sound at the start and end.

I really like your voice on this version. It would have been nice to have the bell on it's own at the start and then the guitars as the two clash a bit. I like the fucked up drum bit at the end too.

I like the actual music and vocals but the drums really detract from it for me... they're a bit off putting. Could you not use a boran and give it a more natural feel?

I can't play the boran. well, i maybe can, i've never tried but my sense of rhythm is pretty poor so i'm guessing it's a no to the boran.

I get what you're saying, but my intention was always to use electronic drums on these tracks. Hopefully as I get more practice I'll get better at programming them more naturally, though in the bountiful harvest the drums are meant to be noisy and jarring as it's signifying the confusion and terror of a boat sinking.

check me with the metaphorical drum tracks. what a dick.

chuffed that people are digging the vocals though, it's taken me a long time to be comfortable with my singing voice. thanks to all who have listened and given feedback.

I've also been doing blog posts about the tracks with more info on recording them etc: It's Cold Out There: The Bountiful Harvest

• 3 weeks later...

The WAVES!

Really like The Bountiful Harvest. Sounds much better than the first track you put up (think you fell into the same trap I did at first and in a rush of enthusiasm uploaded something that wasn't nearly ready to be heard by others). The piano in the background is lovely. I actually like the electronica coming in at the end as well; totally get what you were doing there and I think it works well. Good work.

Listening to Listen now. I love this song, it was my favourite WiS tune. Makes me annoyed that you didn't play more gigs now.

The drums are OK in this but it does sound a bit like my headphones are broken which I don't think is a good effect. I think overall this song would be better sans drums. Another nice piano piece as well. Is that a VST?

• 1 month later...

I've been messing around with birdsong for various hippy reasons. I wanted to manipulate it so it sounds different but still reminds us of the original birds but also sound like contemporary music.

head over to the daemons facebook page and let me know what you think: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daemons/162123237185779

• 7 months later...

i'm using Ableton Live and a wee akai lpk25 midi keyboard. Just doing it for a bit of fun and practice but really enjoying the results.

I've just uploaded a different version of my most recent track. It's about solar flares and failing technology: http://soundcloud.com/david-officer/coronal-mass-ejection

it's also pretty dirty and hard to listen to. hopefully in a good way though.

• Upvote 1