aberdeen-music

Simon Cowell talent auditions have a secret purpose

In the history of BGT, and X Factor, for that matter, no one has ever won who has not been an invited or preferred contestant. All those thousands lining up outside, often in the rain and cold, are basically wasting their time.

The producers of BGT are not looking for the talented people; they already have those. The reality is they are hunting out oddities, freaks and mentally ill people to act as amusing fillers in the audition shows.

People come from all over the country, often at great personal expense, because they think BGT is a talent competition and they stand a chance of realising their dreams. I can tell you from the inside that BGT is no more a competition than I am an astronaut.

Surely the above extract from today's Daily Mail can't be true. Surely the wonderful Mr Cowell wouldn't do anything naughty. I am shocked that the Daily Mail dares to criticise the person who brought us Shane Ward, Steve Brookstein, Paul Potts and dancer George Sampson and that the paper is allowed makes these terrible accusations.

The whole article is at the following link:

Read more: Britain's Got Talent 2011: Hoax or expos? The devastating indictment from a 'Sony Music executive' | Mail Online

I saw the original yesterday and reposted it on twitter and facebook, good the basics of the article are still online as Cowell got the original taken down, I think its highly unlikely an executive of Cowell's label would post such a thing but the content of the article doesn't surprise me. How much of it is true I really don't know but there's no smoke without fire!

There'll always be conspiracy theories. I think they undoubtedly try and influence who the public votes for, mainly through editing and giving their favourites more screen time, (all but ignoring some others who have made it all the way to the finals) plus the comments they give after performances on the live shows definitely influence the public vote, and you often see them being shitty to folk who were really good, and conversely, praising people who didnt perform well and papering over their weaknesses. All that said, I do take it at face value, while they undoubtedly have their favourites, ie whoever is most marketable and definitely try to influence the vote, I don't think there's anything as sinister as a complete rig of the competition, as mentioned in those articles.

So if they are already decided and invited. What happens if an absolutely amazing singer comes through, who is on par or even better than the already chosen contestants?

Whatever they want to happen. Most likely you'd be treated as a risk to their big investment and not get on the programme. I think there are something like 3 auditions before you can audition in front of the cameras and then there is 'bootcamp' and so on and so on... plenty of opportunity for them to assess how easily you can be manipulated.

I thought that was the way it was run anyway. Take a few promising, fame hungry people, subject them to pressure and fame over the course of the series and see how they handle it, gauge public reaction along the way. Everyone else is there to produce "good" television, i.e. people with heart-warming stories, people with a hugely inflated sense of their own talent etc.

I think that would make for a great comedic back story....

My wife died of cancer. Before she died she was in a lot of pain and really suffering in the hospital but even through the agony and tears of it all she told me her dying wish was that I come on Britain's Got Talent and perform for the nation her favourite joke.

Anyway, a man walks into a clock shop, whips out his knob and puts it on the counter.

The girl behind the counter says, "Excuse me sir, this is a clock shop, not a cock shop."

So the man says, "No worries, just put two hands and a face on this then."

Simon-Cowell.jpg

Does that make the whole article bullshit, or did Syco spin doctors take the hit and let someone else take the win to try to 'disprove' the article?

Or did Syco release the claims about the show being a fix themselves in order to grab all the publicity for Ronan no matter the final result?

A friend of mine auditioned for X Factor. She has a pretty good voice (nothing INCREDIBLE, but a strong voice, good range etc) and she was told by the producers of the show that she didnt get through because they were "looking for more 'funny and bad' acts to show on the program".

Or so she said...

So Ronan didn't win...?

Does that make the whole article bullshit, or did Syco spin doctors take the hit and let someone else take the win to try to 'disprove' the article?

I didn't watch the final, how far did Ronan get?

xx

My bird forced me to watch an episode of this nonsense and that little twerp, Ronan was on. What a wee wanker, needs a haircut and a good kick up the arse. Im aware he's young but he already has a face i want to punch and given the opportunity, i can't say i wouldn't do it. :swearing:

My bird forced me to watch an episode of this nonsense and that little twerp, Ronan was on. What a wee wanker, needs a haircut and a good kick up the arse. Im aware he's young but he already has a face i want to punch and given the opportunity, i can't say i wouldn't do it. :swearing:

You're right about a couple of things, but I've got to say he is clearly an excellent singer, was gracious and polite in defeat for someone who is just a little boy.

You're right about a couple of things, but I've got to say he is clearly an excellent singer, was gracious and polite in defeat for someone who is just a little boy.

But if that article thing is right, he was probably told.

All the judges and Ant and Dec seemed well funny when the other guy one though, don't you think?

Either you're trolling me or you are a fucking tool. Either way, fucking stop it.

xx

Haha. I was going to say the other one won. But I decided on the other guy won. But while I was writing won I was thinking of one and in the end one won.

Spelling mistakes, I hope this is my last won.

But if that article thing is right, he was probably told.

Similarly the reason he is styled the way he is is not down to him.

He does creep me out a bit though, and he'll be screwed when his voice breaks. Unless he (or Simon Cowell, I suppose) chooses to be one of those boys that have their balls chopped off to retain their high register. I forget what they're actually called and fucked if I'm Googling that at work.