aberdeen-music

Taco & the Sharpies - Hip Hop/Jazz/Soul/Funk

FatHand

Taco & The Sharpies | Aberdeen, UK | Hip Hop / Funk / French | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Looking for a bit of feedback and trying and generate a bit of interest on the new group I'm working with called Taco & the Sharpies. We're releasing our first three tracks on 17th Letter... you can check them out (and download for free if you like it) from the above ReverbNation account.

It'd be cool if some of you could give it a listen and say what you think about it.

Bio:

"Taco & the Sharpies debut E.P Line of Feeling due for release in May under 17th Letter was sparked from the imagination of talented French MC and producer Taco. The smooth bilingual flows and soulful vocals fuse with a potent blend of Hip Hop, Funk, Jazz and Soul to great effect.

Preferring live instrumentation over sampling, Tacos backing comes from The Sharpies consisting of 17th Letters in-house brass section BrassCat Juniors, violin and female vocals from Karen Henderson, Tom Wheeler on bass and a formidable rhythm section in Tuntablist DJ Rasteri and Beats Technician / Human Beatboxer Quest."

1306617001_182460565137266_182011525182170_393199_8384063_o.jpg

Yup - along with the Reverb Nation above you can add the band on a load of other networks too > Like the band on Facebook for regular updates :)

Bandcamp - Line Of Feeling | 17thLetter

Facebook - Taco & The Sharpies | Facebook

Soundcloud - tacoandthesharpies's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Twitter - Taco & The Sharpies (TacoTheSharpies) on Twitter

17th Letter Network too >

Bandcamp: 17thLetter

Facebook: 17th Letter - BandPage | Facebook

ReverbNation: 17th Letter | Worldwide, UK | Artist Roster, Shows, Schedules, and Releases | ReverbNation (coming soon)

Soundcloud: 17thLetter's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Twitter: xviiletter (xviiletter) on Twitter

cheers - 17th Letter

I think the dubby track is an absolute belter. After a long time tinkering with styles i think u guys have finally found one that suits everyone.

Sometimes hugo's flow gets a little too off-beat for me. Maybe that's his style but personally I prefer it when he sticks to rapping to the beat, makes your head nod more. Really promising to see good hip hop coming out of Aberdeen. This and Kuda and lockah's stuff is top notch. Anyone else listening?

Cheers for the feedback, glad at least a couple of you are digging it. The next batch of tracks are going to be slightly different again with a greater emphasis on live instrumentation, and they'll be quite brass heavy. There are plans for live shows within the next 4 months once we have developed the new tracks enough and worked out the orchestration. Live performances will use all the breaks along with vocals/MPC/beatbox/scratch DJ/brass/strings/bass/percussion etc ... The idea is that any combination of musicians can be used, it'll make shows flexible and pretty dynamic for fans - never the same twice.

I did know it ;)

When are the Leonard Jones tracks available?

We're hoping to have the final product ready for when we go to Kendal Calling, hopefully available for download before then, but you can expect a wee pressie before then;)

The unmastered mixes are sounding very good indeed - final track came through yesterday, and he's going to go to town on the remix as we've given him free reign on any track he wants!!

Cheers for the feedback, glad at least a couple of you are digging it. The next batch of tracks are going to be slightly different again with a greater emphasis on live instrumentation, and they'll be quite brass heavy. There are plans for live shows within the next 4 months once we have developed the new tracks enough and worked out the orchestration. Live performances will use all the breaks along with vocals/MPC/beatbox/scratch DJ/brass/strings/bass/percussion etc ... The idea is that any combination of musicians can be used, it'll make shows flexible and pretty dynamic for fans - never the same twice.

This I really like the sound of!!

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone else had a listen and care to comment? Maybe some of you guys that post on the hip hop threads?

I enjoyed those actually! I really like the chorus vocals on Petite Braise and the horn part is nice throughout. Good guitars too.

I liked Line of Feeling, there were some cool echo effects going on there and I do like those. Again, nicely produced and the trumpets were cool.

The bass on La Balade was pretty cool and the tune had a nice laid back summer feel.

I can't really commemt more as my hip-hop knowledge extends about as far as Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys but I liked the 3 songs you have up.

Hmmmmm...

I expected this to not be to my taste at all, but I'm really enjoying it!

I haven't delved very deep into hip-hop as a genre at all, but I love the funky/jazz feeling of it.

Great production too, a really solid effort.

Infact, the more I listen to this the more I fucking love it.

xx

I think that is every musicians desire ... write some stuff that gets better the more you listen. Cheers for that man, great compliment.

The idea is to write music that, although slightly niche in title, actually appeals to a wide range of listeners. The next two tracks explore some different elements of our song writing and arranging skills, one is near enough completely live kind of pop soul track and the other fairly heavily sampled hip hop track with elements of electro and some raging horn parts ;)

If you like the sort of music we're producing for Taco, the other 17th Letter artists that we'll be pulling into our production house should be equally appealing. More updates as that happens.

Taco and the Sharpies will be going live around about October so keep your eyes out for that.

I like it. I'd like to be able to understand the French bits a bit more but it sounds good. I think he said something about his auntie and alouette alouette at one point. I dug that. Will check out the live show. I also like the look and feel of that reverbnation site.

• 2 months later...

For anyone interested, 2 of our 17th Letter productions for Taco & the Sharpies have been selected through the first stage of Bleep: Filtered - An unsigned competition and compilation in association with Warp Records, SoundCloud and Transition Mastering. They basically select something like 10 to 12 tracks from the 600 successful entries, master those 12 and release them as a compilation. Dunno how hard it is to get selected for the second stage but pretty chuffed to get two through.

Check out the competition here Bleep: Filtered - An unsigned competition & compilation in association with Warp Records, SoundCloud & Transition Mastering

You can check out our entries, Voyage and La Balade on our soundcloud: 17thLetter's Spotlight page on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

• Upvote 1

I think it was from thousands into a pool of 600. Still a massive way to go! But we're not about competitions at all ... it's really a chance for some quality mastering and some decent exposure for our guys. Hopefully get some extra traffic on the soundcloud as a result.

Anyone else enter?

The 17th Letter Label is coming along nicely at an even pace ... I'll be posting a thread with a full description of what we're doing there but only once we've gotten our brains around the website we're setting up.

Oh on that note... any web programmers that are reading this and fancy getting involved in the development of our Audio Boutique and Label website feel free to get in touch. We're rocking a wordpress site. We ain't got no money for this kind of thing so you'd have to be doing it out of interest and to get involved in a local Label.

• Upvote 1