aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Ah Gazetta was ace. That and Transworld Sport on a Saturday morning was great TV.

We watched Football Italia every week usually while playing Champ Manager Italia at the same time. Occasionally if there was a Dons game on the telly we had two TVs side by side showing Italia and the Scottish Cup or whatever while we played a 3 or 4 player league on Champ Manager. Great times.

Ah Gazetta was ace. That and Transworld Sport on a Saturday morning was great TV.

We watched Football Italia every week usually while playing Champ Manager Italia at the same time. Occasionally if there was a Dons game on the telly we had two TVs side by side showing Italia and the Scottish Cup or whatever while we played a 3 or 4 player league on Champ Manager. Great times.

i used to love signing eoin jess and making him a serie a star. good times.

there was a top quality beardsley shuffle by hazard for lille's second goal. good stuff.

• Upvote 1

Their home league games, whilst being better attended than previous years, still don't tend to sell out either, unless it's against United. They still throw around the "only team in Manchester" and "all United fans live in London" jibes, despite not being able to fill their ground with Manchester's half a million inhabitants that apparently all support City.

Football Italia on Channel 4 was the shiznit. I loved it. I remember in the intro there was a voice that used to should "Golaccio!" and I always thought it was "Go Lazio!", figuring they were just being biased because Gazza played for Lazio at the time. I haven't watched Serie A since about 2007 when the place I was living had Italian Sky TV. It was awesome, it had like 40 Sky Sports channels, and they all showed live football at 3pm on a Saturday.

Football Italia on Channel 4 was the shiznit. I loved it. I remember in the intro there was a voice that used to should "Golaccio!" and I always thought it was "Go Lazio!", figuring they were just being biased because Gazza played for Lazio at the time. I haven't watched Serie A since about 2007 when the place I was living had Italian Sky TV. It was awesome, it had like 40 Sky Sports channels, and they all showed live football at 3pm on a Saturday.

This reminds me. I was in Riley's on Bridge Street on Saturday and they were showing Man City v Wigan live at 3pm. I didn't think anywhere was allowed to show live 3pm football. How are they getting away with this?

This reminds me. I was in Riley's on Bridge Street on Saturday and they were showing Man City v Wigan live at 3pm. I didn't think anywhere was allowed to show live 3pm football. How are they getting away with this?

I imagine they have a satellite decoder that broadcasts foreign channels - or they stream from online sources. It's only in the UK where they can't show 3pm kickoffs. Heaps of other countries show all the 3pm kick offs by the red button, or whatever their countries version of the red button is.

Football Italia on Channel 4 was the shiznit. I loved it. I remember in the intro there was a voice that used to should "Golaccio!" and I always thought it was "Go Lazio!", figuring they were just being biased because Gazza played for Lazio at the time. I haven't watched Serie A since about 2007 the place I was living at had Italian Sky TV. It was awesome, it had like 40 Sports Channels all showing live football.

That same thought let me win a bet in school with a particularly obnoxious twat (one of the people who's popular in school but is an absolute bellend) who was convinced that it was Goal Lazio! that was at the start (depsite Golaccio! being displayed in massive white letters at that point in the sequence) and refused to believe that a geek like me would know better. A geek like me that watched Football Italia and Gazetta every week and had seen them run a piece about the start sequence and what was said...

Unfortunately he still didn't believe me and the maths teacher had to back me up with the truth before he accepted he was wrong. So it really didn't help my street cred at all.

This conversation makes me miss Italian football. Need to make more effort to go to the pub when it's on Sky/ESPN.

Is it legal for them to broadcast it? Not that I'm going to shop them to the rozzers or anything. Just interested.

I'm sure the menus said Viasat or something.

I think it's not technically legal though I seem to remember a pub in England challenged the law last year and won by saying it breached European competition law or something.

There's a few pubs in Aberdeen that have a selection of digiboxes behind the bar and show foreign football coverage of premier league and SPL games.

I think it's not technically legal though I seem to remember a pub in England challenged the law last year and won by saying it breached European competition law or something.

There's a few pubs in Aberdeen that have a selection of digiboxes behind the bar and show foreign football coverage of premier league and SPL games.

Can you get said foreign digi boxes in your house?

Is it legal for them to broadcast it? Not that I'm going to shop them to the rozzers or anything. Just interested.

I'm sure the menus said Viasat or something.

It's illegal. They can only show games on a Sky subscription for pubs. The only one they can show is the one that has the wee pint glass in the corner. I only know this because my friend is a solicitor and one day we traipsed round pubs to see if they were showing games illegally.

It's illegal. They can only show games on a Sky subscription for pubs. The only one they can show is the one that has the wee pint glass in the corner. I only know this because my friend is a solicitor and one day we traipsed round pubs to see if they were showing games illegally.

Nah, if they're showing Sky TV it has to be the specific 'pub' subscription (as per Sky's terms and conditions), but if it's an alternative provider (such as foreign sat channels via some weird link) then there's no actual law that says pubs can't. Hence the ambiguity.

There was definitely a case recently where the landlady of a pub was showing similar at 3pm on a Saturday and it was ruled in her favour - as someone has said above, to do with European competition legislation.

• Upvote 1