aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone

This Ronaldo highlights reel is ace...

YouTube - ‪Ronaldo Brazil final game memory // BRAZIL VS ROMANIA 7/6/2011‬‏

I'd forgotten how good he was. In my head, I remember him as a goal machine with electric pace, but by fuck he was much more than that. Sad to see him retire, and sad that he didn't have more of a glittering long-term career with his talent.

Funniest thing I heard today was hapless, useless former Cambridge United manager Martin Ling bagged himself the Torquay United job! He always could walk the walk mind, probably more suited to league football than the blood and guts of the tinpottery of non-league where he was a glorious failure.

So Steve McLaren is back in English football at Forest. Despite a good record at Middlesborough and winning the title in Holland with AZ, he still needs to do very well to be forgiven for the Euro 2008 qualification failure and those images of him standing in pouring rain armed with brolly for company. And that ridiculous attempt at a Dutch accent when he first went to Holland.

Funniest thing I heard today was hapless, useless former Cambridge United manager Martin Ling bagged himself the Torquay United job! He always could walk the walk mind, probably more suited to league football than the blood and guts of the tinpottery of non-league where he was a glorious failure.

So Steve McLaren is back in English football at Forest. Despite a good record at Middlesborough and winning the title in Holland with AZ, he still needs to do very well to be forgiven for the Euro 2008 qualification failure and those images of him standing in pouring rain armed with brolly for company. And that ridiculous attempt at a Dutch accent when he first went to Holland.

Sad how Schteeve's remembered only for the bad stuff - he's had remarkable moments in his career. Taking that Middlesbrough team to the UEFA Cup is nothing short of brilliant, and his triumphs in Holland...

Kinda thought a Championship job was beneath him.

He's a very ropey manager. He's got good moments in his career to pick from, but plenty of bad too. England not qualifying for Euro 2008 was very poor. He picked an experimental line up in a must-win group game, in which we lost.

He also failed at Wolfsburg, who had a very strong squad. He also blew his transfer kitty on Diego from Juve, who is a hugely terrible flop, and has been for a while.

He's got alot to prove to be a good manager, as I reckon the bad certainly outweighs the good.

McClaren needs to do a lot to convince the English media and supporters because of the Euro 2008 qualification (or lack of) fiasco. Pressure will be on at Forest to deliver as they're one of the faves to go up but he may well end up doing a good job. Apart from Engerland and Wolfsburg he has a good record in management. Maybe Forest is the type of club which might suit him. Time will tell I suppose.

Blimey a fifth summer signing for Cambridge United today and we're supposed to be skint! Dare I get excited about next season? Erm no but the manager is signing young players with experience at conference level so we might surprise a few people next season. 25/1 on promotion if you fancy a punt. Still some dead wood to ship out mind but nice to see us signing players well before pre season starts! Next season can't be as bad as last... hmmm believe it when I see it!

Guest Gladstone
Spain under 21s look really good. They look like the could probably do some full international teams (like us).

You can easily see why a few of their players are being chased by the big EPL teams. Mata and De Gea really do stand out.

Nothing a good old fashioned over the ball Simmie type challenge won't sort out.