aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I'm not surprised at all. I can't see him adding much to the Celtic team to be honest. He would be ace if he played every Celtic game as if it was a Scotland game but his club form has never been that good. He'd probably be no more than a squad player for Celtic and we already have the likes of McCourt, Forrest and Commons who would be at least as good as McFadden (especially on a consistency basis). Maloney was barely getting a game and I've always rated Maloney higher than McFadden. I wish we hadn't sold Maloney to be honest.

Saying that - he's a free agent and maybe worth a punt - his wage demands would likely be fairly high, being used to Premiership wages over the past few years.

Faddy linked with Celtic, Wolves and Villa over the weekend.

He's been to the States for knee surgery, will be fit to play again in four to five weeks. :up:

Czech's had a very legitimate penalty shout turned down in the first half anyway, so it doesn't make too much difference that the dive was given as one. Terrible dive though.

Despite Charlie Adam being (incorrectly) lauded as some sort of Scottish Paul Scholes, he is atrocious at keeping the ball. I wish no one had have bought him in the Summer and he stayed at relegated Blackpool. He needs to be slapped in the face with the cold, hard hand of reality. His ego is getting as big as the colossal gap between his front choppers. Knob.

On the plus side, the screams I could hear from my flat coming from the Pittodrie Bar when the penalty was given were brutal. It was amazing.

Little Spanish football anecdote.

Yesterday I was chatting to a guy I know who works for a Radio station covering Barca. At the moment there's a dispute going on between the league and radio stations. The league are saying that radio stations now need to pay loads of money for the rights to report from inside grounds (it used to be just TV companies had to pay).

So at the moment all radio stations are banned from league grounds. Last week my mate had to report on a Barca B match in the second division. He had to go to a block of flats across from the ground and buzz all the falts to find someone who would let him report from their balcony. So he ended up in some old lady's flat giving reports on a match he could only see half of the pitch.

I just find the image absolutely hilarious.

Czech's had a very legitimate penalty shout turned down in the first half anyway, so it doesn't make too much difference that the dive was given as one. Terrible dive though.

I've never bought that line. There's a huge difference between losing a penalty in the first half of a game and losing one 2 minutes from time. no one can say the czech's would have scored it in the first half but even if we assume they did, scotland then would have had the majority of the game to fight back in. it's too simple to say it's all evened out. they should just get it fucking right. stoopid refs and uefa/fifa.

Yeah, I wasn't seriously justifying it towards the result, but because the Czechs should have had a penalty at the expense of the continuously overrated Charlie Adam, I didn't really feel much sympathy for Scotland when the Czechs were awarded a penalty, that really shouldn't have been one. Even if it wasn't a dubious penalty that equalised, I still didn't feel much sympathy because Scotland didn't even attempt to protect the lead. 2-1 with a few minutes to go, and Stretchmarks Adam is still twatting the ball around as if it's a bomb, and he wants it as far away as possible from him. They really should have been taking the sting out of the game and just passing it around. If you play like that when you're only a goal up with a few minutes left, you deserve to concede a goal at the last. Terrible few minutes. Charlie Adam is a knob.

There seems to be times in games quite often where it seems the referee has realised he's made a howler, and gives the same decision later on for a much more questionable challenge, which makes him look even worse. Ungood.

Guest Gladstone

I bet you ONE MILLION POUNDS that England don't win Euro 2010.

As for Scotland game on Saturday - Scotland were fairly pish, got a few lucky breaks in the first half - penalty shout included and snuck in 1-0 up at half time. Czech started to control the game again about halfway through the second half after a bright(ish) start from Scotland, but Scotland did really well to get back in the lead. I don't think it was Adam's fault for trying to pass the ball that lost us the 2nd goal, it was more the sitting back on our own fucking goal-line, inviting the pressure on. That said, it was never a fucking penalty in a million years. Zero contact whatsoever. The Scotland penalty shout was a better one than theirs but the ref probably called it right. There was minimal contact and Berra chucked himself down, face-planting the turf in the process (seen them given though - there was contact and it was in the box with Berra at full pelt, so maybe I'm being harsh on the lad). It was fucking harsh though, considering all of 30 seconds earlier the cunt had given a penalty for an even bigger dive.

I thought Berra, Fletcher and Miller were all brilliant. Berra bailed Caldwell out of trouble about 4 times in the first half. Fletcher for having not played a competitive game for so long, showed real captain material. He maybe wasn't in the game for the full 90 minutes, but he was box to box for most of it. Setting up the goal with some great strength and awareness, and then being the man bursting into the 6 yard box on 82 minutes for the 2nd goal was great to see. Scott Brown played half the game shite and half the game good. Fucked up by getting an early booking with a ridiculous challenge. Charlie Adam had a poor game by his standards. Both full backs were quite shit. I was pleased to see them in the team, but Bardsley looked really slow all game and seems like a total pussy - getting shoved off the ball the whole time. Hutton did okay, but was well off the pace. He also has a bit of the Scott Brown about him - a red card waiting to happen.

Irrespective of how the game was played on Saturday I am just raging that they got their penalty for cheating. Although he had a bad day generally I don’t really blame the ref. He was conned by a good dive. It took three camera angles to prove that Rezak wasn’t touched so it is easy to see why he called it although apparently they should only give it if they are positive. Berra obviously went down easy which doesn’t help my moral crusade but he was actually touched - His dive was just rubbish!

I’m not buying that the Czechs getting second place is a foregone conclusion. Lithuania beat them in Prague so there is no reason they can’t take something off them in Kaunas (although for it to matter to us Lithuania would have nothing to play for). If we beat Lithuania and Liechtenstein and Spain beat the Czechs then we’ll go into the final game one point ahead. We could get tanked 10-0 and still finish second if the Czechs lose. If they draw we need to draw, if they win we need to win (and monkeys might fly out of my butt).

I shouldn’t do this to myself. I don’t think things are looking good for tomorrow night for us anyway, but I’m just saying – it is realistically possible we could still get second place rather than relying on totally freakish results. I appreciate I’m ploughing a lone furrow with this one, just leave me to my delusions….

I thought it was a good performance from Scotland. The penalty felt harsh but at the time the Czechs were piling the pressure on and we weren't clearing the ball, something was going to give.

We created some great chances throughout the game with some good moves. Fletcher's goal was great and Miller took his well even though the keeper should have saved it. The only players I can really criticise were Scott Brown (disappeared for most of the match) and Hutton. I don't think he created anything the whole match and seemed to get pushed off the ball a lot. Even Gary fucking Caldwell played well going forward with some great passes.

Defensively we still look naive and the first goal was a disaster. But going forward we were creative and put some good moves together. I'm still optimistic it'll go down to the wire. You can't beat having to win against Spain in Madrid to qualify! It'll be a typically Scottish glorious finale.

Guest Gladstone

A 2-2 draw with the Czechs isn't a great result - far from it. They were fucking horse the last time we beat them and this was at Hampden. On the balance of play 2-2 was probably a fair result but a really really shit way to lose the victory right at the death.

The most frustrating thing about this qualifying campaign was the first few matches. 4-6-0 against the Czechs away was giving them far too much respect - they were absolutely abysmal and completely there for the taking. Fair enough, go away and play 4-5-1, but he should quickly have realised how fucking balls they were and slung on a couple of attacking options. We shouldn't have lost that game. The draw against Lithuania was equally frustrating because they were fucking pish too. Out of the first 3 matches, Liechtenstein were our toughest opponents (not on paper obviously, but having watched the games) - they really took the game to Scotland, much like we should have been doing to Czech and Lithuania in the previous 2 matches. We were hoorin' lucky to win that game!! The home match against Spain was also frustrating because we did so well in the 2nd half to get it back to 2-2 only to lose a late goal (FUCKING AGAIN!).

On the performances, we should have beat Czech away, beat Lithuania, drew with Liechtenstein, Spain and Czech and been sitting on 9 points. I know football never works like that but still...

I love and hate Scotland in equal parts.

We certainly can't claim we've been robbed when you look at our performances.The Lithuania and Czech away games were absolutely abysmal and we were the lucky ones for a change against Liechtenstein. The only thing I have against Levein was his comments after the game in Prague where he refused to acknowlege that the tactics were all wrong.

It was just the nature of the way in which it ended.....if indeed it is over ;)

Guest Gladstone

I wasn't claiming we were robbed in those games - I was really accusing the tactics of being all shit. Czech and Lithuania away games the opposition was fucking pish and we should have had the players to beat them. Fuck, if we'd played like we did on Saturday (which wasn't really that good) we'd have beaten both of those teams away from home.

Lithuania coach accuses us of cheating!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14774391.stm

I suppose he has a point, Berra did go down easy although he was touched unlike Rezak. Watching it again today he should have stayed on his feet and squared it or smashed it home.

I do think we're in danger of dropping points tomorrow night. I'm surprised Levein hasn't called up another striker as that option is available to him. The Dazzler must be gutted.

Forget the metaphorical footballing black cloud that is Scotland, and put a massive give on your face by looking at "25 photographs of Andrey Arshavin being epic"

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/arsenal/84017/25-photos-of-andrey-arshavin-being-epic-an-arshav-a-lanche-if-you-will.html

If that doesn't cheer you up, then life is a privilege you don't deserve.

I like to look at them and do a caption contest for each. I imagine he uses as few words as possible, and just says what he sees. "This is my hat" and "Big man is big" for example