aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here. Most folk on here know that I'm Calum Crighton aka Exposure @ Lemon Tree.

Did I do something to annoy you back in those days or are you just still a dick like back in those days?

I'm just still a dick. I'm not trying to achieve anything.

Still ridiculous.

Ronaldo....fucking RONALDO, went to Inter from Barcelona for 19.5m in 1997. He was probably the greatest player in the world at the time, and even that fee was obscene! Now just a few years down the road, we've got some nobody moving for the same money.

It's just vulgar as fuck. No wonder the clubs have to shaft the fans with unaffordable ticket prices.

On a much smaller scale, Brighton have just signed Will Buckley from Watford for 1m. A pretty high going rate for a player who, despite winning "Watford Young Player of the Year" hasnt really done anything.

ONE MILLION POUNDS.

Not really seen what the fuss is about over Henderson. He's a midfielder who was born in England, but he's certainly not worth 20million. Value seems to stem from if the player has age on his side, how many years he's got on his contract and whether or not he's English before any real footballing ability comes into it.

If he's worth 20million, then Darron Gibson probably is too. Gibbo has got more goals and more assists in fewer games. 80million.

I never really jumped on the Charlie Adam bandwagon but he's only 25. Since it appears Liverpool rate Adam highly I would think getting his peak years would be more valuable than hoping Henderson develops. Even if he does there's no guarantee they'll get a good resale if he wants a move later. He could easily end up leaving on a free.

Not really seen what the fuss is about over Henderson. He's a midfielder who was born in England, but he's certainly not worth 20million. Value seems to stem from if the player has age on his side, how many years he's got on his contract and whether or not he's English before any real footballing ability comes into it.

If he's worth 20million, then Darron Gibson probably is too. Gibbo has got more goals and more assists in fewer games. 80million.

The crazy thing is the original fee that was mentioned was 18m and even that was pretty ludicrous, and yet its come out as even more than that.

Liverpool need some defenders. Carragher is getting towards relic status, Skrtel doesn't look to the best answer, Glen Johnson can't defend and I don't even know who there other defender is.

The right back for the last few months of the season was one of the teenage brigade. Martin Kelly and John Flanagan were the main two IIRC

Do Liverpool even need him? They seem to have a ridiculous amount of central midfielders. They should be getting in some defenders and wingers. Maybe even another striker since Carroll is always knacked.

Whilst they have a vast quantity of central midfielders. The quality of them is questionable. Jonjo Shelvey played a LOT last season and didn't impress me at all. Jay Spearing is nothing to write home about either. Poulsen will probably be off, ditto with Aquilani.

Really that only leaves them Gerrard, Lucas and Meireles, and Gerrard has been consistently injured the last few years

Henderson seems like a tidy player, but not 20million calibre by any means.

Do Liverpool even need him? They seem to have a ridiculous amount of central midfielders. They should be getting in some defenders and wingers. Maybe even another striker since Carroll is always knacked.

Henderson will probably be a direct replacement for Stevie G long term.

And working alongside SG, I assume Dalglish thinks Henderson will come on a lot further as a player in the time prior to Gerrard's retirement.

Totes, good plan in my opinion. For what it's worth i think Henderson is probably one of the best prospects England have for a midfielder, Wilshere aside.

Really? I always though he was more of a deep-lying playmaker, like Xabi Alonso, rather than an in-the-hole attacking mid, blasting shots from all over the place.

They should bring Aquilani back. He looks great. No idea why he barely got a look in at Liverpool

Nah, he plays on RW quite a lot too, but he's more of an advanced playmaker, definitely not deep-lying (sound familiar).

Jones and Henderson are good players with alot of potential, but it's just mental amounts of money. From what I've seen this season, I think Smalling is better than Jones. I like Jones though. He's hard as nails and combatitive. He'll stick his head into any challenge. Brave. Like James Collins, only unshit.

Real Madrid are to blame anyway. Ronaldo's market value has sent transfer fees through the roof, and now the market is ludicrous.

Still, neither of these two deals are as bonkers as 35million for Carroll.

Phil Jones to Man Utd for 17m.

The world has gone mad etc etc.

The page I read says 'which could rise to 17m' which is much better business than a straight up front fee. It's probably something like 10m + add on clauses. At least if he is a flop they don't have to pay all of it.

10 million is a lot of money for a 19 year old with one proper year in the full team (Nemanja Vidic only cost 7 million I think?) but it is far from being the most outrageous fee we've seen this year!

Guest Gladstone
Jones and Henderson are good players with alot of potential, but it's just mental amounts of money. From what I've seen this season, I think Smalling is better than Jones. I like Jones though. He's hard as nails and combatitive. He'll stick his head into any challenge. Brave. Like James Collins, only unshit.

Real Madrid are to blame anyway. Ronaldo's market value has sent transfer fees through the roof, and now the market is ludicrous.

Still, neither of these two deals are as bonkers as 35million for Carroll.

I can never understand why James Collins could get a game at centre defence for a Premier League club. He's fucking terrible at defending. "Hey mate, want a penalty? Her you go..." or "Here, if you just run close to me I'll miss the ball and you can run clean through on goal" etc etc.

Fucking crap defender. His only good defensive attribute, like you say is he's pretty fearless. But fearless only really works if you connect with the ball at least most of the time.

Phil Jones is a very good buy for Man United, he's got bags of potential and the right attitude to deliver the goods. Similar in style of play to Vidic but with a bit more pace. Smalling's looked equal parts better than Rio, equal parts shitter than JEvans this season but i reckon he'll end up coming up good as well.

There's rumours it's 10million plus Wes Brown. That makes a fair bit of sense as he's not getting a game anymore, and it probably helps Blackburn out as I imagine they'll lose Samba this summer too. I still rate Brown though, so he's not a bad acquisition if he can stay fit.

Collins should be a centre forward. Every corner he goes up for he connects with, and he puts away a fair few goals. Rubbish defensive discipline though. Clumsy and rash. Dunne is guff too. Loves to put away own goals, and his positioning is awful. Great tackler though, and great in the air, but just doesn't know where to position himself. No idea how Villa aren't shipping 10 goals a game. Probably Big Bad Brad's heroics. He's a top netminder.

Phil Jones is a very good buy for Man United, he's got bags of potential and the right attitude to deliver the goods. Similar in style of play to Vidic but with a bit more pace. Smalling's looked equal parts better than Rio, equal parts shitter than JEvans this season but i reckon he'll end up coming up good as well.

What a horrible thing to say. Absolutely unforgivable.

What happened to Evans anyway? He was awesome during the season when United broke the PL clean sheet record, then he spiralled into unrelenting shittiness. He had lots of potential, and put in some stellar performances.

Surely Jones will spell the end for him at United anyway. Being 5th in the pecking order, where the only chance of playing is if Rio or Vidic are injured, is not ideal for any player.

FFS. This transfer fee nonsense has had my piss at boiling point all fucking day.

I had barely calmed down about the Henderson signing, then Man U splurge a disgusting amount of cash on another unproven kid with potential.

At what point will the Zimbabwe-esque inflation of English footballers become unsustainable?

[ianHolloway]It's just so fucking wrong, it's unbelievable [/ianHolloway].

I think this is a bit harsh on Jones. He's more than potential when he wasn't injured this season he was a starter in the EPL and a lot of the time was Blackburns best player. Whether at CB or when big Sam played him in defensive mid just to get him on the pitch. So he's not exactly unproven at Premier League level.

I think that'll be a great bit of business for Man U. That's your CBs sorted for the next 8 or so years once Ferdinand eventually hobbles into the sunset and Vidic is 30 this year as well. Smalling and Jones will be waiting and ready to go.

What a horrible thing to say. Absolutely unforgivable.

What happened to Evans anyway? He was awesome during the season when United broke the PL clean sheet record, then he spiralled into unrelenting shittiness. He had lots of potential, and put in some stellar performances.

Surely Jones will spell the end for him at United anyway. Being 5th in the pecking order, where the only chance of playing is if Rio or Vidic are injured, is not ideal for any player.

JEvans has lost all confidence in his own ability (like Paul Robinson did at Spurs). He's a more than adequate EPL centre back but nothing more. He's got Sunderland written all over him.

Wes Brown is terrible, he can bugger off to Blackburn just to make sure that Harry (well, Daniel Levy) doesn't lose the plot and try and sign him for Spurs.