aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Off to another football giant tonight - Bury Town FC - last pre-season friendly before my season finally starts on Saturday! I been starved of footy too long as my season finished early last season and starting later than most this!

When will staff at AFC realise that an average of 5.3 goals a season isn't good enough. Mackie is Aberdeen's highest goalscorer in the SPL. Pathetic. For almost a decadxe now we have seen our defence sure up at times. Our midfield being exciting. But a quality winner up front. Nope. Our policy on getting players in, needs to change. Clubs with a bit of imagination get the likes of Cademateri, S Thompson, O Conner. Us no were still thinking of a stadium change. Well at least it ll be the best arena in Division 1.

We are a joke.

When will staff at AFC realise that an average of 5.3 goals a season isn't good enough. Mackie is Aberdeen's highest goalscorer in the SPL. Pathetic. For almost a decadxe now we have seen our defence sure up at times. Our midfield being exciting. But a quality winner up front. Nope. Our policy on getting players in, needs to change. Clubs with a bit of imagination get the likes of Cademateri, S Thompson, O Conner. Us no were still thinking of a stadium change. Well at least it ll be the best arena in Division 1.

We are a joke.

Mackie has been at the club for 12 years - I don't really think that statistic is relevant. Also, Cademarteri was good for a few months and then disappeared and O'Connor and Thompson went to their hometown clubs. Dennis Law has retired so we're fucked on that front!

It has been a while since we've had a Duncan Shearer or Billy Dodds type player though....in fact not since we had Shearer and Dodds. Vernon could come good yet once fully fit and if he gets the right strike partner and some service from the wide areas. Magennis for all his bluster doesn't look like he could hit a coo's arse with a banjo. I agree we need a decent striker and someone who can cross but I don't think we have a policy prohibiting the signing of a good striker and I don't think we lack imagination compared to other clubs at our financial level.

Agreed. It would definitely be in my top 10 most important things for our football club. Maybe just below having enough pies to last to at least half time.

We need to reduce the demand/supply pie deficit, then think about handling the millions of pounds of debt we're in.

We are a joke.

I think most people at Aberdeen know where the shortcomings in the squad are. I think a very important thing to realise is that Aberdeen are a very small club operating with a very small budget, especially in relative terms. The players required to improve the squad are scarcely available on free transfers, and if they are, then meeting the wage requirements for each individual becomes a huge problem. There is a wage budget in place for a very very good reason, and the club must continue to operate within that budget, otherwise you won't have a club to moan about in the future.

Whilst I don't think Aberdeen are genuine relegation fodder, I do see them functioning in the bottom six of the SPL for a number of consecutive years. Which, given the playing squad and wage budget available, is arguably precisely where the club ought to be placed.

S Milne is only good as a guarantor on our debt.

I don't think this is true. The guy wiped out the majority of the debt for the Richard Donald Stand (I don't know precise figures, but I am led to believe Aberdeen FC still owed Stewart Milne Construction around 3m for it), and the club now pretty much operates off it's own back, without hemorrhaging money every week. Why do people just automatically expect Stewart Milne to pump millions (or even hundred of thousands) of his own money into the club for absolutely no reward? It's not like Aberdeen would start automatically winning trophies and honours as a result. As he's learned before, investing huge sums of money into the playing staff does not necessarily pay off. I would like to mention the name Paul Bernard as evidence of this. One million pounds, approximately 8k per week basic wage, and all the club got was under par performances and constant debt notices from their bankers.

As a chairman, I feel Stewart Milne is doing his job really well - trying to ensure the club operates within itself and has some semblance of a secure future.

And as Nefarious C pointed out, having Stewart Milne as guarantor is a very important thing for the football club.

• Upvote 1

Whilst I don't think Aberdeen are genuine relegation fodder, I do see them functioning in the bottom six of the SPL for a number of consecutive years. Which, given the playing squad and wage budget available, is arguably precisely where the club ought to be placed.

Don't AFC have the largest wage budget outside the OId Firm and Hearts?

Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps you can provide such information?

I seem to recall it was widely reported a couple of years ago and I would have thought with the likes of Paul Hartley being here last season it would have continued but I can't find any concrete figures (only had a quick google mind).

Most of the clubs are PLCs so have published accounts. The information should be out there.

I seem to recall it was widely reported a couple of years ago and I would have thought with the likes of Paul Hartley being here last season it would have continued but I can't find any concrete figures (only had a quick google mind).

Most of the clubs are PLCs so have published accounts. The information should be out there.

Either way, it's been promulgated that Aberdeen Football Club have not increased their wage budget for several seasons now, despite having managed to get rid of a few of the higher earners. Even if the wage budget is the fourth highest in the SPL, it doesn't affect my point of view one little bit, because I imagine that the difference in the Aberdeen first team wage budget and, say, the Hibernian or Dundee United first team wage budget is negligible. Aberdeen are still a relatively small club, essentially performing at the level they should be given attendances; financial structure; coaching staff; playing staff; and the way the club is marketed and branded.

Hartley was actually on quite a small weekly wage, he was on very good bonuses for playing and winning which obviously he did not pick up for most of the season!!

I believe it is the way the dons try to go about things, offer big bonuses but small wages, hence why most players piss off, we dont win many games so the players never make that much money!!

Where did you hear this?

Paul Hartley was one of, if not the top earner at the club (based on his weekly basic).

Paul Hartley and Paul Bernard. These two players effectively illustrate exactly why Aberdeen shouldn't be willing to jeopardise the wage structure to bring in "imaginitive signings".

Both were, on the whole, garbage for Aberdeen in my opinion.

Without Hartley's goals and influence last season I think we would have gone down. As soon as he got injured we absolutely nosedived.

Bernard was a good signing (and tlak of him being on 8k is lol....Craig Hignett is our all-time highest earner at 6700 p/w) but had huge injury problems. No doubting his abilities as a player.

Without Hartley's goals and influence last season I think we would have gone down. As soon as he got injured we absolutely nosedived.

Bernard was a good signing (and tlak of him being on 8k is lol....Craig Hignett is our all-time highest earner at 6700 p/w) but had huge injury problems. No doubting his abilities as a player.

I was told by Dave Macdermid in 2002 (I used to work for his media company) that Paul Bernard was the highest ever earner at Aberdeen FC, and his basic weekly wage was in the region of 8000 per week. Maybe the marketing manager of Aberdeen Football Club lied to me, and maybe he forgot entirely about Craig Hignett. I have no idea.

Either way - I never once suggested Paul Bernard couldn't play football; I suggested he was a terrible signing for Aberdeen. And he absolutely was. I am fully aware he had injuries - and that is part of why he was a terrible signing. I am not suggesting he was a bad signing because he couldn't play football; I am suggesting he was a bad singing because:

a) Aberdeen paid 1million for him. Think about that. One million pounds. Aberdeen will probably never spend that much money on a player ever again.

b) He was the club's highest earner (I am going by what a fairly important member of AFC staff told me directly) yet barely played half a season for Aberdeen.

c) The two of a) and b) combined juxtaposed next to Paul Bernard's minutes on the pitch and level of performance is not conducive to a good signing.

Just my opinion.