aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone
I've said all along that I don't agree with this statement. It's been shown in the past that when teams have a strong cup run, are more competitive in the league or have a european run, the ticket money more than offsets the old firm money. Getting rid of Rangers, who have used cheating to dominate the Scottish game through our lifetimes, means more chance of that happening for the other teams.

If people keep holding this opinion we're as well not bothering. The SPL is NOT a life support machine for the OF. They tried their hardest for years to try and get out of it and play elsewhere. Now it turns out one of them has cheated its way to titles for years. And still people are like 'we need them'. We need them like we need AIDS.

I completely agree with this. Why the fuck does the SPL need a parasite like Rangers exactly? Think what life in the SPL would have been like had Rangers been playing by the rules all this time. Okay we maybe wouldn't have seen some of the exciting players like Laudrup or Gazza in the SPL, but the cost of all of this over the past 20 years is being felt right through the entire league. Rangers have been struggling to pay their debts to other SPL teams this season - I'm not sure why they need a team who can't afford to pay them. The SPL does not need Rangers. Rangers maybe needs the SPL, but not the other way round.

Guest Gladstone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17942156

So Lennon has received a 6 match touchline ban, of which he will only serve 3 matches (the other 3 being suspended until the end of next season - I think that means if he behaves himself he won't have to serve those matches).

That's not much of a punishment really considering the league is already won and all he'll have to do is sit in the stands to watch his reserve team play 3 meaningless matches.

At least he seems to be accepting he's done something wrong for a change but I'm not sure how calm and respectful of the decision he would be if Celtic had lost the league this season. I hope for his sake that he has learned his lesson but I doubt it. We'll see how he reacts to his first bad result next season.

Guest Gladstone

Strachan's always been a bit of a fud but he's probably just trying to wind someone up. Never believe anything Strachan says to the media.

Come on its a brilliant goal, and the context of the goal was huge, its not Rooney bias, outwith the Cisse goals the other night i cant think of any better over the last year, maybe Crouches goal.

It's over the last 20 years though. I agree Cisse's would have been in there if he'd scored it in time to get it listed.

I don't even think it was the best overhead kick of the last 20 premier league seasons. I remember Gudjohnson scoring one as good as that.

Guest Gladstone

I was only kidding about the "shin" comment - Rooney's is a belter. Better than Gudjohnson's because Rooney belts his into the top corner. The ball comes across to Rooney at a fair pace too - there's a lot of adjustment required and great athleticism in a split second. Not sure if it's the best of 20 years but it's definitely up there. More recent goals are always going to fair well in these polls as kids who have seen Rooney play and remember the goal are more likely to vote for it than one from 20 years ago. Probably.

There have been some AWESOME goals in the last 20 years. Rooney's is a belter, but the fact that it's so recent and was replayed so often around the world makes it far more likely to win this kind of poll than some that happened years back (like the Yak mashing them in off the crossbar from his own 6yd box, 20 times a month - which is how I remember my youth)

There have been some AWESOME goals in the last 20 years. Rooney's is a belter, but the fact that it's so recent and was replayed so often around the world makes it far more likely to win this kind of poll than some that happened years back (like the Yak mashing them in off the crossbar from his own 6yd box, 20 times a month - which is how I remember my youth)

You mean Tony Yeboah not the Yak, right?

Rooney's goal was made more impressive because he had to adjust quickly to the cross from Nani being deflected. On top of that it was in a tightly contested derby match against a fellow title contender.

Guest Gladstone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17940110

I don't understand why people can't see through this sort of comment. At no point does Strachan say "SPL cannot afford to lose Rangers" as the headline suggests. He says a club with that sort of history doesn't deserve to be killed off. He then goes onto say that "Celtic will enjoy winning more if Rangers are there."

No mention of it being for the good of the SPL or Scottish Football. Yes, it will benefit Celtic in a short-sighted, wealth creating way, but it won't benefit the rest of Scottish football. There is some sort of myth going round that Celtic and/or Rangers having a bit of wealth, giving them the opportunity to compete in European at some level will benefit the rest of Scottish football. Will it fuck. It will widen the gap between them and the rest of Scottish football and keep Celtic / Rangers at the top forever more.

I know it was predictable, but I'm so fucked off that people haven't seen this as a massive opportunity to show a bit of balls and take the first step in reinvigorating the Scottish game. It's 14 years since we qualified for a major tournament. I have no evidence to back this up with really but I'm pretty sure that's an indirect (or even direct) result of the Old Firm's stranglehold on Scottish football. It started with Rangers' 9 in a row campaign, but was only really cemented in 1998 when Celtic won their first title in 10 years. That so happened to be in 1998, the same year as Scotland last played in a major tournament. Since then, Celtic and Rangers have been pulling away from the rest of the pack and ruining Scottish football (with the minor blip in that season that Hearts finished second - but that was pretty much down to Hearts throwing about loads of money to try to compete). Even this season with Rangers at death's door and with a 10 point deduction, Motherwell in third place are still 8 points behind Rangers and a massive 29 points behind Celtic. Reinstating the status quo (minus the Rangers debt) isn't going to fix this problem.

Its a wonder goal, even if your anti-rooney. The timing of the goal, the importance of it and the fact he caught it perfectly after adjusting his body to the deflection, its arguable if its the best over 20 years but its such a subjective thing you'll never please everyone. It definately goes up there in the top 10 goals i have had the pleasure to witness when watching a game.

I personally would have had Phillie Alberts chip against United :D

I completely agree with this. Why the fuck does the SPL need a parasite like Rangers exactly? Think what life in the SPL would have been like had Rangers been playing by the rules all this time. Okay we maybe wouldn't have seen some of the exciting players like Laudrup or Gazza in the SPL, but the cost of all of this over the past 20 years is being felt right through the entire league. Rangers have been struggling to pay their debts to other SPL teams this season - I'm not sure why they need a team who can't afford to pay them. The SPL does not need Rangers. Rangers maybe needs the SPL, but not the other way round.

Don't agree with one word of that.

Of course the SPL needs Rangers. They, along with Celtic, generate all the TV revenue that pays all the other club's bills....while bringing huge supports to every ground in the country (more much needed revenue).

Even if the Huns had played by the rules, the results might have been slightly different (the OF still would have dominated everything of course), but the TV money and ticket sales enjoyed by the other clubs would likely have been much the same. Take them out of the league and you can kiss half the clubs goodbye. Aberdeen are one example of a club being run more prudently than most SPL clubs, who are still barely breaking even with the OF generated revenues that would disappear overnight if they were refused entry to the SPL.

Don't take my word for it though. The proof will be when the other clubs vote them back into the SPL....which will unquestionably happen. None of those clubs like Rangers one bit, and they detest what they've done and the fact that they're going to get away with it........given that is the case, why the fuck would they NOT vote Rangers out if they formed out a NewCo unless they had no option?

The vote wasn't about defining 100% what the very best ever ever Premier League goal is though. It was about how many people liked it the most, and the most people liked Rooney's and alot of that is probably due to United being the most supported club in the world. It's always going to be subjective, and some goals will be branded a fluke. Technically any strike like that (especially a volley) is a fluke, as with any strike of the ball, it can balloon off towards the corner flag. There's always luck involved. The fact is he caught it mid air and steered it into the most unreachable part of the goal. The occasion had alot to do with it too. Great goal.

I still prefer that ridiculous Bergkamp goal though. That was less 'leap-and-smash' and more 'I'm proper good at football, me, so I'm just gonna dance through you, you're gonna look like a knob'.

I've probably said this before, but the entire Scottish game is hostage to the OF: the other clubs are hostage to them because they don't have the spine to ditch them for fear of lost £££, the press are hostages to them because they have to write 6 pages of syncophantic guff about them every day for fear of losing £££, and the governing bodies are hostage to them over the TV deal that would cost them £££. The top end of the game has been run on the money fear factor for 10 years (since the period Murderwell/Dundee/Dunfermline/Franchise Bastards were in admin) and counting.

I'm still hopeful the cheating bastards will be brought to book, but if a newco-R*****s gets to skip £50million of the public purse and get off relatively scot-free, then the game is well beyond a bogey and anyone walking into an SPL ground paying £20+ to watch a 'fair sporting competition' is a total mug....

• Upvote 1

Of course the SPL needs Rangers. They, along with Celtic, generate all the TV revenue that pays all the other club's bills....while bringing huge supports to every ground in the country (more much needed revenue).?

They generate the revenue, but they also soak it up - there isn't an even split in the TV money. If you remove them, while you'd lose a significant amount of the value in any TV deal, you'd level the playing field in terms of revenue share so the new loss to the non-OF teams would be far less then people thing.

As I said, there's evidence that a good cup run/a chance to finish in an better league position/a European run does as much, if not more to a team's gate revenues as the 3/4 OF games does, as well as having a knock-on impact in merchandise sales, so one less OF team would open the door for the other teams to step up to the mark and drive their teams forward in that way, negating the loss of OF visiting fans ticket money.

Even if the Huns had played by the rules, the results might have been slightly different (the OF still would have dominated everything of course), but the TV money and ticket sales enjoyed by the other clubs would likely have been much the same. Take them out of the league and you can kiss half the clubs goodbye. Aberdeen are one example of a club being run more prudently than most SPL clubs, who are still barely breaking even with the OF generated revenues that would disappear overnight if they were refused entry to the SPL.

You think that the fact that for almost ten years, the SPL was a foregone conclusion before a ball had been kicked because a team was cheating to live outwith its means didn't impact on a lessening of interest for fans of teams other than Rangers? The fact that they've destroye the competitiveness of the league is not an excuse for continuing to let them do so.

If Rangers are allowed to continue in the SPL as a newco then what we're effectively saying is that there is no way any club outwith Rangers and Celtic can EVER compete for the league, consistently or otherwise. It is things like the RANGERS SITUATION that come around from time-to-time that will then allow greater competition for Champions League/European places which will in turn lead to more revenue across the ten remainder clubs long-term. If what "they" are saying is 'the SPL can't cope without a strong Rangers' then what "they" are saying is 'no-one else can win the league'. Get Rangers to fuck and yes we'll maybe have a League of Wales quality 'product' for a bit but rather build from there where it is no longer a two-horse race from the outset than piss around and stick to status quo. The time for change is now - if it doesn't happen now, then we're fucked for another twenty years.

Basically, what I'm saying is if this monumental fuck up by Rangers does not allow an opportunity for a 'closing of the gap' between Rangers/Celtic and the rest of the SPL/SFL member clubs then there is something drastically wrong with how it is being dealt with.

From Aberdeen's point of view, the average gate would have to increase by 5000 bodies per home match to offset the loss of the current TV deal, and that is not taking into consideration the idea that there will still be a TV deal if Rangers cease to exist/are punted to Div3. I presume it just won't be as lucrative. This is arguably do-able if there was a real possibility of Champions/Europa League football season-after-season.

Simple fact - you cannot cheat your way to titles/relative success for 10+ years and not be held accountable. Fuck them all.

• Upvote 1