aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Who's all off to see the Dazzler score a hat-trick in his testimonial tonight?

Fuck it, I'm popping along.

I am. Have to salute the lion cub for the years of aimless running about he's done for the club. :)

Seriously, I actually like D-Mac, he's useful. Plus, Villareal have brought a decent squad with them.

Valero, Rossi, Cani, Cazorla, Capdevila, Senna. Niiiice.

Enjoyed the summer break of the turmoil of following and supporting the ever hapless Cambridge United but looking forward to heading to the Abbey tonight to watch us play Ipswich Town, they're bringing a strong team so should be a good test for the new-look squad. I love first game pre season, a chance to meet up with fellow like-minded fools and we all have out rose-tinted specs on! That'll all change come August 13th when Wrexham rape us 6-0....

Some surprising results in the Copa America, wish I followed it more, I love playing in South America on football manager.

Shay Given is an excellent signing for Aston Villa, totally wasted on the bench at Man City.

Brazil are just a shambles at the moment though. As are Argentina. Suffering from England syndrome it seems. Quality players with absolutely no thought-out way of deploying them. Neymar is undoubtedly a very talented player. His footwork is quite incredible at times, but he does need to be tested. I think it's a little unfair to judge him completely for Brazil when they look so lost as a unit. I think he could do a good job in Spain. Real Madrid seem the most likely suitors, though I can't see him usurping Ronaldo or Di Maria. If he went to Barca, perhaps he could give Pedro a run for his money, but they seem nailed on to land Sanchez, so they won't need him.

I hope someone does give him a chance at the top level. He could develop into a dangerous player. Or like with a few other Brazilians who are blinded by the fame and fortune, crumble into a massive flop after a few glimmering seasons, like Denilson, or even Ronaldinho.

Celtic could take a punt on Neymar, but I don't know if he'd get his game in front of Paddy McCourt.

Enjoyed the summer break of the turmoil of following and supporting the ever hapless Cambridge United but looking forward to heading to the Abbey tonight to watch us play Ipswich Town, they're bringing a strong team so should be a good test for the new-look squad. I love first game pre season, a chance to meet up with fellow like-minded fools and we all have out rose-tinted specs on! That'll all change come August 13th when Wrexham rape us 6-0....

Some surprising results in the Copa America, wish I followed it more, I love playing in South America on football manager.

Shay Given is an excellent signing for Aston Villa, totally wasted on the bench at Man City.

That's quite a gulf in leagues between Cambridge and Ipswich!! Do you play them often due to their close proximity with each other?

Agree about Given. He could have played for Man U or Arsenal I reckon, but I can see why Hart was ahead of him at City. Speaking of Arsenal, are they going to sign a keeper? I really think they ought to, although Szcheszny (or fooever ye speeeell it) put in some great performances last season. I don't think he's of the calibre, yet, where he can be a team like Arsenal's first pick, no sir. And he's about 11 or 12.

No I can't recall playing them pre season for a while, you'd think we might play them more pre season. Heard it's a strong team that's coming across the A14 including the likes of Chopra. Makes me sad to think just under 20 years we went to Portman Road in what is now The Championship and beat them 2-1 to go top of that league!!!!

Yeah I agree about Hart, not many keepers would keep Given out the number one jersey. It's a total waste him being on the bench so glad to see him move, signed a five year contract but at 35 keepers are still at their peak, those chaps keep going forever these days!

when the fuck did the kick off change to 7pm tonight?! tickets say 7.45 and i was just away to leave till i saw this on another board. gah!!! no wonder no one goes to pittodrie when they can't even organise a game of football properly the fucking tools. *rage*

They posted it on FB, sent out an email and had it on their website.

I can't see any email about it in my inbox or my junkmail. pretty fucked off as we missed the first 40 minutes cause of it. oh well. a good night, new guys look decent and mackie did ok.

I am. Have to salute the lion cub for the years of aimless running about he's done for the club. :)

Seriously, I actually like D-Mac, he's useful. Plus, Villareal have brought a decent squad with them.

Valero, Rossi, Cani, Cazorla, Capdevila, Senna. Niiiice.

Senna was a different class to everyone on the pitch IMO. Totally dominated the play and barely made a bad pass. When he came off was when Villareal got a bit ropey with possession. Before that them losing the ball was almost exclusively long passes which were intercepted or too long, not surprising given their tiny strikeforce.

Mawene played well, best of the dons by some way, looks a very good signing. Made a few great last ditch tackles and a solid passer. I thought Gonzalez did well too. Osbourne didn't seem to dominate midfield as I'm told he was supposed to, but again improved with time and towards the end was reading the game and breaking up play well.

Overall (as my first time seeing them at Pittodrie) I thought they didn't do too badly. Villareal were passing for fun in the first half and Aberdeen didn't get a look in but got a few chances late on and Mackie probably should have put away at least one of his (3 I think?) efforts. The only concerns were the back line being caught a bit flat and being opened up by through balls easily (for the goal and a couple of other times late on) and the sheer number of offsides. Villareal were not even springing a mobile, fast moving offside trap, The crossing was poor too but both sides had the same problem so maybe the conditions were a factor there.

Thought Mawene and Osbourne both looked solid, Milsom was tidy, always looking for the ball and not shy of a tackle either. Vernon a bit anonymous, although the Villarreal centre halves strolled the game. Gonzalez made a few good saves, still struggle to trust a 'keeper with a ponytail though.

Yes the Dons defence were taken apart a few times but you've got to bear in mind they were playing a team who finished 4th in La Liga last year - the Rossi/Ruben strikeforce is the best the defence will play against this year and it's difficult to face up to the likes of Valero and Cazorla who are always looking to make little passes in 'the hole'.

You're right about Senna - exceptional throughout until he was subbed.

All-in-all, got to say I'm extremely impressed with the way the Dons side is looking...no long ball pish last night, and with Clark, Arnason, Fyvie and Folly to return to the squad perhaps a bit of strength in depth for a change? Creative striker and we'll be on our way to league glory (maybe).

It was great to be back at football last night and Cambridge got a more than deserved 2-2 draw against a full strength Ipswich side. Jeez I'd even heard of most their players! Jason Scotland played and is looking very fat these days... he didn't score! Michael Chopra also played... and did score!

Very pleased with the United performance, we're a young team with a young manager - should I dare to be optimistic regarding our fortunes for the forthcoming season? No this is Cambridge United - almost eternally universally shite and nailed on to let you down. But on what I saw last night deffo reasons to be optimistic if they can gel as a unit. It's all very well playing well against Ipswich in a friendly but they need to do it in the league when matters.

Pissed off though cos three of the goals came in the first 6 mins (including both United's who were 2-0 up!) and I missed them all as was counting up my programme money! Bah!

Our former arch rivals Cambridge City on Saturday, bring it on!

In the real world, looks like the Tevez move is off now. I don't get the moaning Argie, I can understand he wants to be nearer his kids but at 27 he doesn't have that many years left at the very top and with Man City going places surely he'd be better to spend the next couple of years at City before going back to South America? I mean in this day and age contact from afar is hardly impossible. It's part and parcel of being a pro footballer you have to spend time away from your family. He should stop moaning and get on with things I reckon!

Enjoyed the Dons game last night.

Decent crowd for the loon and entertaining enough match, Villareal didn't step out of second gear though. A few good chances for the Dons, the Dazzler was a wee bit unlucky.

New players look decent too, and Pawlett looks like he could be a key player this season (providing he can stay fit).

Missing the game this weekend as I have a wedding in London, 2-0 Dons.

would anyone here be happy missing most of the first 4-5 years of your childs life? Yes he gets paid a lot of money but his family have not settled and moved home, you cant blame him for wanting to be closer to them, or wanting to move somewhere they might settle better. Even 200k a week doesnt make up for missing some of the most important years of your children.

Its not like he has caused a big fuss anyway, he has stated he wants to leave and thats that, its not his fault our media have nothing better to do than run the same story over and over.