aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Bit o' class.

Freddy Adu was playing in the Turkish 2nd division last season after a rough time of it in Greece. As far as I know he's still there.

He's still owned by Benfica but has spent pretty much all 4 years of his contract out on loan in Greece/Turkey/France/Portugal. I think he's just struggled a little bit with the demands of European football against those of the MLS. There aren't that many players who have made a successful transition between the two.

I think that suspending him in light of the public outcry is even more spineless than failing to sack him in the first place.

How this cunt can still be in employment is beyond me. Jim Jeffries made it pretty clear in his interview yesterday that he wanted rid of him

Guest Gladstone

Carragher stating the obvious about the England team...

I've been saying this for ages. The players when they turn out for England play within themselves and none of them wants to be the scapegoat for the team not doing well. I don't think England realistically have the players to win a major tournament but they should have the players to at least do well and get to quarter finals, semi finals at least.

This article is quite funny in that it finishes with a plug for a programme which "examines England's failure at the 2010 World Cup". That's pretty much the problem - the media over-analyzing every last piece of it. They played shit and it should be consigned to history. Try again next time and less of a media frenzy should help them get on with it.

Euro 2012 is our year. We'll win it all. We say it every 2 years, but this time its for true. If we don't win it, then it's Blatter's fault. Or maybe Wayne Rooney's.

If anyone shags about before the tournament, they should be drowned by hand, by Fab Cap himself.

I say this every 2 years about us qualifying. The only difference being bad luck and other teams cheating will be to blame.

Carragher stating the obvious about the England team...

I've been saying this for ages. The players when they turn out for England play within themselves and none of them wants to be the scapegoat for the team not doing well. I don't think England realistically have the players to win a major tournament but they should have the players to at least do well and get to quarter finals, semi finals at least.

This article is quite funny in that it finishes with a plug for a programme which "examines England's failure at the 2010 World Cup". That's pretty much the problem - the media over-analyzing every last piece of it. They played shit and it should be consigned to history. Try again next time and less of a media frenzy should help them get on with it.

It seems that the World Cup was an eye-opener for a lot of people associated with English football but I'm continually amazed by the inability of these talking heads to recognise the real problems within the British game. England weren't shit at the World Cup because they have a foreign manager or the media was putting them under too much pressure: they were shit at the World Cup because their players are products of Britain's appalling youth development philosophies and antiquated training methods.

I don't really expect incisive commentary from Carragher on this issue (as he's pretty much the poster child of everything I'm talking about) but English football needs to stop making silly excuses like this and start listening to the likes of Trevor Brooking. The likes of Spain are lightyears ahead in terms of coaching methods and footballing philosophy and it's no surprise that their switch towards promoting controlling space and ball retention at youth level is now producing players like Xavi and Iniesta. Gerrard, Lampard, etc. are all statistically brilliant players but they're miles behind technically which is what makes England so insipid and one-dimensional.

It's the ridiculous, parochial view that flair and technique are things to scoff at that really annoys me. I don't think there's a better example than Andy pissing Gray's statement that Barcelona and Leo Messi would struggle to compete on a cold night at the Britannia. What a load of arse. I have nothing against Tony Pulis and Stoke City, but Barcelona would pass them to death and their backline of cloggers would be utterly humiliated by the game's end. Pace, strength and energy are all valuable attributes, and I'm not saying that the tiki-taka system is "the best," but basing your national footballing philosophy in physicality isn't very bright at all.

Look at the U21 Euros. England weren't eliminated solely because Stuart Pearce is a poor manager (which he is, admittedly) or because Jack Wilshere and Andy Carroll weren't there: they were eliminated because these players have no idea what to do with the ball at their feet. Aside from their solid back four, there's very little to get excited about in that team. Jordan Henderson is supposed to be a ball-player but looked completely lost in possession, and Danny Rose is as big a headless chicken as I've seen. Where are Jack Cork and Henri Lansbury going to be in 5 years? Sitting on the bench at Fulham or on-loan to Bristol City, probably. Pearce's bad management and the lack of Wilshere & Carroll obviously contributed, but there's something deeply worrying about a team of allegedly "talented" players that play 63 long balls in just 3 games.

Anyway, sorry for making a massive post. I'll go and crawl back under my rock now.

Cool story bro.

• Upvote 1

BBC Sport - Hearts suspend sex offender Craig Thomson

So, after other people told Hearts how wrong it was for this guy to be preying on underage girls, they've SUSPENDED him.

Fucking suspended him? Are you mental? I think the majority of people would get fired in an instant if they were convicted of a crime of this nature.

I think Hearts should've sacked him straightaway but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I read some kind of statement from his solicitor who says that the court did not impose any conditions regarding contact and/or working with children under 18 so I think that makes it a bit harder.

Then again maybe they're backtracking and if they sacked him now they'd be worried he would do something about unfair dismissal or something!

I hear Aberdeen have re-signed Chris Clark . Please, someone tell me this isn't true....

This is true. Clark and Osborne will sign tomorrow. Gavin Rae is close too, apparently. Bit central-midfield heavy now, if you ask me. Hope this doesn't mean we are fixing to sell Fyvie.