aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I remember coming home from school and telling my dad i was supporting Rangers, then being instantly grounded for 2 weeks and sent to my room, "we'll have none of that shit in my house" was roughly his words at the time.

True story.

That's proper parenting that!

It looks like Hodgson picked that England side based on their FIFA 12 stats.

Also: Maybe now Dalglish can go and manage a side more in tune with his abilities. Maybe Ebbsfleet.

A little disrespectful to Ebbsfleet I think :)

Unrelated but I got tickets for a double header in the Olympic footy at Coventry's ground - Mexico v Gabon followed by Switzerland v South Korea. Pissed off Hernandez is not going to feature for Mexico though - thanks sir purple face!

Unbelievable Woy has picked four lolpool players for the squad, the inclusion of Dowling is particularly strange...

Guest Gladstone
Carrick apparently told the FA he didnt want to go to the Euro's as a squad player, only if he was guarenteed to start, i dont think he will ever play for England again.

Football players are complete dicks. We all knew that though.

I meant to post this last week but forgot. The last Guardian Joy of Six article was about last day relegation battles and it brought this to my attention. The tightest league ever. Back in the days of 2 points for a win, after the season finished only 2 points separated the teams from 2nd to 15th in a 16 team league and the bottom team were only 1 point further back. It's so close that there are teams in the top half who survived relegation thanks to goal difference.

Here's the table http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/even.html

Can you imagine Jeff Stelling keeping you updated on the latest standings as the goals flew in on that final day?

It depends, is international football really the top level now a days? Carrick plays week in week out for one of the worlds biggest clubs, in one of the worlds best leagues, and plays every season in Europes biggest comp, he has been constantly overlooked for England for the past 5/6 years despite being more useful on his own than Gerrard and Lampard have ever been as a pair. Plus the FA are a bunch of tossers, the more players who tell them where to go the better.

• Upvote 1

Whether it's the top level or not it is what the majority of people care about the most. He's being a cunt for putting himself ahead of his country. Players like him, scholes, shearer are all cunts for retiring from international football. The more we have like king becks who want to play until they die the better.

Whether it's the top level or not it is what the majority of people care about the most. He's being a cunt for putting himself ahead of his country. Players like him, scholes, shearer are all cunts for retiring from international football. The more we have like king becks who want to play until they die the better.

You Sir, are the cunt.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

Woah woah woah. I'm with Pandrops here. Just because a player plays at a top level club week in week out, doesn't mean they shouldn't play for their country. Where would that leave countries who have one world class player but the rest are shit. Tournaments would be terrible without these players playing in them. Would you be happy for Darren Fletcher to turn his back on Scotland (forgetting for the moment about his health problems) just because he plays for Man United? Fuck right off.

• Upvote 1

That's a good point, I think it matters more when the country really needs a player. Like England could have used Scholes in the last few tournaments.

I think it's fair enough if say an Italian or Spanish player near the end of their career retried after winning the world cup. Go out on a high and they know there are other good players to take their place.

Big difference tho, Fletcher is our talisman, our single most important player, he carries the Scotland flag when he plays for the national side, Carrick has never been anything more than a squad filler for England dispite him being better than half the dross that has got games infront of him. Fletcher walking away would be a huge loss, Carrick's withdrawl will barely even be noticed, so much so the story is not even the top headline on the sky sports news page.

I wouldnt say he is really putting himself ahead of his country, more he would rather have a rest and concentrate on getting himself ready for another season of top level football than waste his time travelling to the Ukraine to play 15 minutes of the last group game after they are already eliminated. If James Milner, Jordan Henderson and Downing were all picked before i was, i would be telling the FA exactly where they could go, what an insult.

Like it or not, international football is not the be all and end all of football now, its just another nice notch to have on your career belt if your lucky enough to get it.

That's a good point, I think it matters more when the country really needs a player. Like England could have used Scholes in the last few tournaments.

I think it's fair enough if say an Italian or Spanish player near the end of their career retried after winning the world cup. Go out on a high and they know there are other good players to take their place.

Why would that matter, surely turning your back on your country is the same no matter what time the player does it?

But with a new coach coming in Carrick could not have know whether he was wanted or not. He's pre-empted Roy's first squad by trying to impose conditions on his selection. Roy might have been thinking of using him in an important role but then rightly decided that he wont be told what to do.

No, he spoke to Roy and after being told he would again be nothing more than a squad filler he told him he wasnt interested in that.