aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone
Aye, as Kris Boyd was pretty shit the last time he played for Rangers?

I didn't say Boyd was pish - he's no Jelavic is what I said. The type of player Jelavic is, he brings so much to Rangers more than just goals. Boyd could probably replace Jelavic's goals, but he'll need someone to set them up because he's a penalty box striker. I don't think Lafferty's really good enough to be honest. Has good games, but he's quite inconsistent and Healy's just a big fat battering ram. Naismith with Boyd would probably be quite good, but I think Rangers will seriously struggle without Jelavic even if they do get Boyd back.

David was saying last night that he struggles to imagine Mackie excelling at Junior level. I mean, he'd be better than most, but I doubt he'd stand out terribly much. Absolutely woeful. He is the Reading Ambassador or Old Meldrum primary school though, so I should probably show him more respect.

David was saying last night that he struggles to imagine Mackie excelling at Junior level. I mean, he'd be better than most, but I doubt he'd stand out terribly much. Absolutely woeful. He is the Reading Ambassador or Old Meldrum primary school though, so I should probably show him more respect.

My old man used to run a kids team for years, he was asked if he wanted to sign Mackie when he was 13, my dad went to watch him and decided he wasnt worth it, good pace, but nothing else, he was never anything special at juvenile level he was just so quick no one could get near him and as such he scored a lot of goals. My dad also went to watch Foster play when he was young, again decided he was a great athlete but nothing special when it came to playing football. Its funny how things dont really change over the years....:p

There's a story in today's EE about how CB might struggle to bring in new faces during the window, because some of the second string players have it so good at Pittodrie that they don't want to leave. Don't know if this is the case or not, but if players like Mackie, with no discernible football ability whatsoever, are able to forge a 10+ year playing career in the SPL, then what message does that send to the young guys trying to break through?

Had the Dons jettisoned the likes of Mackie at age 19, when it was obvious to any fan that he would never score many goals, then might that have focussed the mind of the 16-year old kids at the club who were next in line for a chance at the first team? Surely better to make it absolutely fucking plain what standard they have to reach to get first team football? Might the kids then apply themselves just a bit harder to make sure they make the grade, rather than just going through the motions, safe in the knowledge that "mediocre" is good enough?

Don't like constantly picking on the lad, but I honestly can't think of any player who has so gratuitously over-achieved, and I think it's symptomatic of a bigger problem at AFC.

My old man used to run a kids team for years, he was asked if he wanted to sign Mackie when he was 13, my dad went to watch him and decided he wasnt worth it, good pace, but nothing else, he was never anything special at juvenile level he was just so quick no one could get near him and as such he scored a lot of goals. My dad also went to watch Foster play when he was young, again decided he was a great athlete but nothing special when it came to playing football. Its funny how things dont really change over the years....:p

I played against Darren Mackie at U11 level when he played for Colony Park. I don't recall him standing out as such, but Colony Park did tend to win every game about 12-0 at that point, so their entire team was just a cut above everyone else. He was really fast, though. So was Baldur Bett - I played against him at some point too, but I don't recall the exact age level.

I also played against Russell Duncan at U15 level; he played centre-forward, and as centre-back, I was asked to man-mark him. He scored two hat-tricks in a 22-3 win for Stonehaven Swifts over my paltry Portlethen team. It was a pre-season tournament, and Stonehaven Swifts were champions of the A League, whilst we were a mid-table B League side. Stonehaven's manager personally approached me after the game to congratulate me on keeping Russell down to six goals - apparently he usually scored about 11 or 12 goals a game at that level, even in the A League. I was confused. Especially when I saw Stonehaven's goalkeeper drive away in a jeep. Russell Duncan then signed for Aberdeen on S-form the following year. At 15 years old, he was about 5'9" tall, full face of stubble, and shoulders bigger than my entire body. I was 14 years old, about 5'6" at that age, and still about three years away from my balls breaking. I possibly had a pube, but I probably pissed out of it. Total mis-match. I demand a replay.

• Upvote 1

We're playing Liverpool tomorrow night. Can't be arsed. There isn't a fixture I look forward to less than Liverpool away every season. I can't stand them and recent events make them even more detestable. The thought of losing to those shits almost makes me physically sick, and they usually beat us. Moaning bastard Dalglish, racist Suarez, money-grabber Carroll, Ian Ayre, FUCKING CUNTING BASTARD GERRARD, cowardly thug Carragher, toilet seat-stealer Johnson, awful glory-hunting fans that've never been within 100 miles of Anfield, "special European nights/the magic of the Kop," Michael Owen, Jamie Redknapp and his shit ties, Neil Ruddock, signing Dietmar Hamann and José Enrique from us... just fuck off you absolute shower of bastards.

Mackie must be punted on, he's been riding on 2 or 3 important goals for 4 years now and has done literally NOTHING of worth since. I like the guy, he's hard working and would clearly die for Aberdeen, but he just is not good at football. There was one point on Wednesday night when Milsom had possession running across the edge of the D and Mackie made a run into space in the box, Milsom seemed to clock that his option was Mackie and elected not to play it to him. I've a feeling that if it was Vernon in that space, then he would have passed and we would have had a half decent chance. You can't have a striker in your team who midfielders don't want to play the ball to in the box, that's just shit.

Mackie must be punted on, he's been riding on 2 or 3 important goals for 4 years now and has done literally NOTHING of worth since. I like the guy, he's hard working and would clearly die for Aberdeen, but he just is not good at football. There was one point on Wednesday night when Milsom had possession running across the edge of the D and Mackie made a run into space in the box, Milsom seemed to clock that his option was Mackie and elected not to play it to him. I've a feeling that if it was Vernon in that space, then he would have passed and we would have had a half decent chance. You can't have a striker in your team who midfielders don't want to play the ball to in the box, that's just shit.

Is he that hard working? I think tbh Scott Vernon, Fallon, Magennis even, do a better job at charging down and nipping at full backs and are all round better players. Don't think he would 'die' for Aberdeen either, he just has it good. Now that he's losing his pace, he really doesn't have anything going for him. Never had much time for the guy but I guess he had a role to play, not any more though.

I played against Darren Mackie at U11 level when he played for Colony Park. I don't recall him standing out as such, but Colony Park did tend to win every game about 12-0 at that point, so their entire team was just a cut above everyone else. He was really fast, though. So was Baldur Bett - I played against him at some point too, but I don't recall the exact age level.

I also played against Russell Duncan at U15 level; he played centre-forward, and as centre-back, I was asked to man-mark him. He scored two hat-tricks in a 22-3 win for Stonehaven Swifts over my paltry Portlethen team. It was a pre-season tournament, and Stonehaven Swifts were champions of the A League, whilst we were a mid-table B League side. Stonehaven's manager personally approached me after the game to congratulate me on keeping Russell down to six goals - apparently he usually scored about 11 or 12 goals a game at that level, even in the A League. I was confused. Especially when I saw Stonehaven's goalkeeper drive away in a jeep. Russell Duncan then signed for Aberdeen on S-form the following year. At 15 years old, he was about 5'9" tall, full face of stubble, and shoulders bigger than my entire body. I was 14 years old, about 5'6" at that age, and still about three years away from my balls breaking. I possibly had a pube, but I probably pissed out of it. Total mis-match. I demand a replay.

Yeah that Colony Park team were all massive beasts of guys, along with Mackie they were untouchable at that level, funny how he is the only one to have gone anywhere in football.

I played for Glentannar all my footballing life, we were reminded daily about how Gavin Rae had come through our club, there were pictures of him all over the club house, our manager at the time had coached him and always used to go on about him.

I remember playing against Albion something, they were affiliated with Dundee United at the time, all huge guys, with beards at 15, the ref stopped the game after 70 minutes when it was 27-0, to them, good times!!

Is he that hard working? I think tbh Scott Vernon, Fallon, Magennis even, do a better job at charging down and nipping at full backs and are all round better players. Don't think he would 'die' for Aberdeen either, he just has it good. Now that he's losing his pace, he really doesn't have anything going for him. Never had much time for the guy but I guess he had a role to play, not any more though.

I think Aberdeen is the only club in the world where people think that "charging down and nipping at full backs" is an actual position.

That game was the scene of my favourite ever football chant....."I'D RATHER BE A BRUSH, THAN BE A COMBE!"

That was first chanted at Tannadice in a 5-3 win for the Dons in the Scottish Cup. I remember, because Eoin Jess scored a peach of a free-kick and I spotted myself celebrating like an absolute dickhead on the telly. YEAH!

Those were good times. Black and gold away kit an' a'hin.

• Upvote 2