aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Shite referee. You can forgiven referees for making the wrong decision on close calls, but that is the most clear-cut non-penalty I've ever seen. Even Ben Arfa looked shocked it had been given. You can almost forgive the referee from where he was positioned, but the assistant giving it too? Mental decision.

Tim Krul is the fucking business though.

Genuinely sad news. I think I'm possibly one of the older posters round here and I remember Gary Speed the footballer with great fondness. He was unshirkable in the tackle, rarely lost a header, and grafted more than I have seen any midfielder graft since. I used to almost idolise Gary Speed when I was 12 or 13.

I'm usually indifferent when someone in the public light dies, but this one makes me feel a little sad. There was a good little interview with Speed in FourFourTwo last month, and I remember thinking he bucked a lot of footballing trends (along with people like Graeme Le Saux) by looking to improve himself cerebrally. He came across as an intelligent man and one who is happy to embrace all of his emotions.

RIP, Gary Speed.

• Upvote 9

He was unshirkable in the tackle, rarely lost a header, and grafted more than I have seen any midfielder graft since.

To think he played like this but was hardly ever injured and rarely missed a game.

That Leeds chapionship winning midfield was top notch but he was a cracking player and professional wherever he went. Seemed to be on the verge of turning the Wales national side onto better fortunes as well. Football's really lost one of its good guys.

very sad to hear the news about Gary Speed, fantastic player and was doing a good job with Wales. RIP.

Agreed....and I only found out about it 15 mins ago, or I wouldn't have posted the "Woop Woop" video above.

Listening to Robbie Savage, there was no apparent indication that he was about to take his own life. Poor guy :(

42 is no age to die. Speed was a good man and a great player who always seemed to be undervalued at times later on in his career despite him still having plenty to offer. As Phil has said, his strength was formidable and the way he retained the ball under pressure was superb. He could hold the ball up for a week against opponents bigger than him, and such a fantastic header of the ball, who could go toe to toe with 6ft4 centre backs and still give them a torrid time. He was great to watch and he was one of the most highly regarded players in England just as I was starting to watch football as a kid.

I don't know if it's officially been confirmed, but the Telegraph is saying it is suicide by hanging, not too long after Stan Collymore was talking about raising awareness about depression in the game. I've heard a a bit about Gary Speed outside of football, and he clearly seemed troubled with depression. Poor guy.

The atmosphere is absolutely dead at the Liberty Stadium for the Swansea/Villa game. Villa fans can get to fuck though, singing songs about "shit support" to the Swansea fans. He was an icon for Welsh football, as the most capped outfield player and was then the national side manager. Of course the atmosphere was going to be a little distraught. Awful. Saying that, it appears that Shay Given was in tears just before the game after hearing the news. It has really rocked English football, which is to be expected as he was so widely respected.

He was integral to the Leeds United side that won the title in 1992. That midfield was fantastic with Strachan, Batty and Gary Mac in there. They could do it all, and Speed could do it all. He was utterly complete as a player, with great temperament and intelligence as well.

Love this goal. The way he connects with the ball from the angle it is delivered from. What a volley. And those flowing locks too.

Big loss for football. With his vast experience as a player and the intelligence he has for the game and in general, it was interesting how he would develop as a manager.

• Upvote 3

A few excellent posts there. I'm in the same 'don't normally comment on deaths' boat but this one has quite upset me. Warren Barton was really choking up on fox soccer channel before the game. To me, it represents the need for sport as a whole to place as much emphasis on mental 'injuries' as it does to physical ones.

Thing is though (this is entirely uninformed and everything, so) wasn't he acting alright in public? Robbie Savage only spoke to him like three weeks ago...

There was a lad on twitter today speaking a lot of sense about it, Musa Okongwa:

" The fact that Gary Speed was ostensibly without a worry in the world to many people might only have heightened his sense of loneliness."

Lots of depressed people appear completely fine in public, unfortunately. It's hard to detect mental illness everytime.

Thing is though (this is entirely uninformed and everything, so) wasn't he acting alright in public? Robbie Savage only spoke to him like three weeks ago...

that's the thing about depression. people who are suffering rarely present outward symptoms and show how bad they're feeling.

collymore posted a startlingly honest blog post about his own depression earlier this week: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1

• Upvote 1

He was on Football Focus on Saturday, which I believe is filmed on Thursdays or Fridays, and he seemed as stellar as always. A snippet from the tributes on BBC says that Robbie Savage spoke to him on the phone very recently too. It's so sad someone so liked and respected was in such a condition that they didn't want to carry on. Some of the tributes coming through on the live feed on the BBC football site are very moving.

There was a lad on twitter today speaking a lot of sense about it, Musa Okongwa:

" The fact that Gary Speed was ostensibly without a worry in the world to many people might only have heightened his sense of loneliness."

Lots of depressed people appear completely fine in public, unfortunately. It's hard to detect mental illness everytime.

Hmm, guess so. Real, real shame.

that's the thing about depression. people who are suffering rarely present outward symptoms and show how bad they're feeling.

collymore posted a startlingly honest blog post about his own depression earlier this week: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1

Yup, I saw that. I never ever would have thought Speed would go so far, but then I never knew him.