aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Oh well as predicted after an impressive win at Luton, Cambridge shot themselves in the foot and were done over by Southport. Typical reaction by the fans on local radio! Jesus Christ football fans eh? The oddness of Thursday night football to look forward to this week! We're on the channel very few watch Premier Sports against Stockport County. Always good to play a fellow former league team as opposed to one of the many two bit tinpot teams you find so many of down here in the toilet wasteland of football!

Aberdeen were magnificent on Friday night. One of the best performances I've seen start to finish in all my years watching them. Relentless. I didn't want the game to finish.

Would have been at least 8-0 had it not been for the Dunfermline keeper.

Continue playing like that and we won't go far wrong this season.

Guest Gladstone

I had a thought about the Friday night football for Aberdeen which may be a bit misguided, but I'm not sure what it's like there anymore...

Are Dons players still frequently spotted out in town on Friday nights? I know it used to happen far more than it should have, but not sure if they've managed to stamp it out. Perhaps playing on a Friday night would mean no hungover players...?

Good win - just watched the highlights, as everyone else said 4 going on 20. What a game from the Dunfermline keeper - some great saves. Ricky Foster looked like he was giving them a beasting up the left hand side as well.

Aberdeen were magnificent on Friday night. One of the best performances I've seen start to finish in all my years watching them. Relentless. I didn't want the game to finish.

Would have been at least 8-0 had it not been for the Dunfermline keeper.

Continue playing like that and we won't go far wrong this season.

What have you done with the real johny mac?

I don't get why people think I moan all the time about Aberdeen. If they played some decent football I wouldn't have to moan at all. ;) Friday night was great in that respect.

Would be good to see it on a more regular basis. I'm not expecting Aberdeen to win anything and trounce everyone, but playing like that will see us win more games than we lose.

Went along to the beckham vs Henry match tonight. Or red bulls vs galaxy as its otherwise known. Beckham can fairly ping a pass still but I was surprised at how deep he was playing. Hardly pushed on at all. Henry looked like he couldn't give less of a fuck for the first half an hour then suddenly turned into a rally crying maniac chasing balls down all over the pitch and scored a peach. Classic Henry semi one on one tucked into the corner.

Cracking stadium they've got. Atmosphere was good but i was sat far away from the small pocket of die hards who keep the chants going the whole say through. I reckon i might try and infiltrate this posse and start going to games. I know it's easy to dismiss mls as a joke but these guys were as good as any European fans. About 200 of them packed into a small section of the stadium. They had some great songs and some coordinated Poznan style dances. Really surprised at how much they were into it tbh. Tickets were only about 15 quid which is reasonable.

All in all a good night. Standard was on par with spl. Maybe a little better actually. Different tactics and a lot slower but man for man about the same level.

and the MLS seems to be improving all the time, I expect it will turn into a very decent league although it's hard to see it ever matching the very top leagues in Europe.

I'm not sure what the future holds for the MLS. On the surface it seems it's in quite a good position to really dig into the mainstream. The popularity of football is on the rise again here so hopefully that feeds into the domestic league. They aired the recent Man Utd v Chelsea match on the main FOX channel and it got really good ratings. That's pretty much unprecedented except for the world cup final. US cities are just huge so there's no shortage of people to actually go see the matches, it's just a case of whether they want to. I'm not convinced the MLS is enough of a spectacle for the majority at the moment. Every match I've seen has been played at such a slow pace and the tackling is never full blooded. Most people who like the sport see the MLS as a compromise as they obviously can't make it to Premier league games.

That said, if they continue to draft in the older players from the European leagues I think they'll do well. The likes of Rafa Marquez, Henry and Becks were streaks ahead of everyone else in terms of composure and dictating the play. That might have a knock on effect on the younger US players who haven't necessarily grown up in the same footie-mad culture Europeans have. You forget that most American pro players probably didn't even kick a ball untill they were relatively old. Marquez was actually quite shit and kept losing the ball but you could just tell he had a good football brain.

Guest Gladstone
0,,10284~10068176,00.jpg

Watch out, X-Factor 2012.

What the fuck's going on there? Is that just a catalogue photo for the t-shirts they're wearing? And are those the 3 bonniest players that Aberdeen have???

Guest Gladstone

So, Scotland have managed to do what they almost always manage to do in qualifiers - keep the dream alive until the last game...

The last game being the World Champions away from home...

What does everyone think of our chances tomorrow night? I really really hope we somehow manage to better Czech's result tomorrow but I just can't see anything other than a defeat for Scotland away to Spain. They won't have their 100% best team out, but apparently Spain were awesome on Friday, and I can't imagine them being anything other than awesome against Scotland even if they put out their 4th string... So, in my opinion, our hopes lie almost exclusively with Lithuania doing us a favour and beating Czech Republic. Just can't see it happening. Lithuania have fuck all except for pride to play for and Czech have a play-off place to play for. Lithuania isn't the easiest place to go away and play and they did beat Czech away from home earlier in the campaign. But the Czechs (although still pretty shit) have improved a lot since the first few games of the campaign, so I can't see them losing to Lithuania. My (very drunk) brother kept telling me on Saturday night that the Czechs have only taken one point from 5 meetings with Lithuania and that means that Scotland are going to qualify. I should point out that my brother was repeatedly sick at the end of Saturday night before I bundled him into the car and took him home...

Here's what I think will happen. We will lose an early goal tomorrow night and Spain will pass us off the park for about an hour. Then the fighting spirit will kick in and we'll create a few openings, battle our way back into the match, with Kenny Miller leading the line like a true Scottish hero and with about 10 minutes to go we'll nick a fucking goal and be drawing 1-1 with Spain in Spain. Lithuania will be 1-0 up at this moment in time so we are cruising into the play-offs. But alas, Gary Caldwell will try to do what Gary Caldwell does best - hollywood pass from inside his own box that lands right at the feet of Fernando Torres who smashes it into the bottom corner. But, we're still not out because our Lithuanian friends are keeping the dream alive. Mikolunas will realise that a Czech goal will send Scotland out and will take on his own team and score the best own goal the world has ever seen (in the 7th minute of injury time) and we'll crash and burn at the final fucking hurdle once again.

That's what my head says anyway.

My heart says - "of course we can beat the world champions in Spain. Who gives a fuck what the Lithuania vs Czech Republic score is? 'MON THE SCOTLAND!!!"