aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I'm supposed to be going to Shittodrie with an EF-supporting mate tomorrow night. He was very optimistic, considering how badly his lot have been buggered on the last two visits.

Saw Montrose predictably toss away a 2-1 lead in the pissing rain on Saturday. My first winning coupon of the season was a welcome sight at full time after that one....

I'm supposed to be going to Shittodrie with an EF-supporting mate tomorrow night. He was very optimistic, considering how badly his lot have been buggered on the last two visits.

Well, he was right to be optimistic and they deserved to go through. What a fucking joke. We won't be the only team to be embarrassed by a lower league side this season but in terms of the magnitude of the embarrassment - getting beaten at home by a part time team - we'll be up there with the worst. Why Josh Magennis was played on the left wing and nominated to take a pen is beyond me. Bizarrely just before they scored their first while a player was getting treated by the physio he asked in our general direction if we had any juice! That was the best thing he did all night. Anyway, let's move on and talk of it no more. What's happening in that English league you guys are always going on about?

Well, he was right to be optimistic and they deserved to go through.

Haha, indeed! Said gent should be in Dundee now enjoying a tin or six.

I've seen some pretty stinking Aibrrrdeen teams on my visits in the past (Pele Paterson's 2003/04 outfit in particular) but that lot take the cake, only very occasional glimpses of talent and just no confidence at all. Getting that late penalty (never was IMO) just prolonged the pain to be honest....

Edited to add: EF's third was a beaut....

The one common denominator thru all Aberdeen's woes over the last 20 years are the fans. Honestly, last night we would have had more support from 4000 Rangers fans. Fucking horrible, moaning cunts. I know we're shit, but this is a real reason why we play the panic-stricken garbage that we do. Every time last night where we were patient and passed it around, we had 2000 twats screaming for them to "quicken it up"....the other 2000 just sit there saying fuck all. Cue instant loss of possession....repeat, rinse, etc...

Is it any wonder we often play good stuff against the OF at home? They're the only games where the crowd seem to give a fuck.

The one common denominator thru all Aberdeen's woes over the last 20 years are the fans. Honestly, last night we would have had more support from 4000 Rangers fans. Fucking horrible, moaning cunts. I know we're shit, but this is a real reason why we play the panic-stricken garbage that we do. Every time last night where we were patient and passed it around, we had 2000 twats screaming for them to "quicken it up"....the other 2000 just sit there saying fuck all. Cue instant loss of possession....repeat, rinse, etc...

Is it any wonder we often play good stuff against the OF at home? They're the only games where the crowd seem to give a fuck.

According to the Peej there were a shade under 4000 in attendance so your maths is sadly almost spot on!

That is going to be about the standard attendance at Pittodrie this season. Sad.

I remember cup games against lower league teams when I was younger you'd still get over 10k.

Aberdeen are getting relegated this season.

Craig Brown has made an utter erse of the close season, signed mince and the lack of creativity and width is coming back to bite us.

What's that now, 2 wins in 16 or 17 I think.... dismal.

Well done East Fife though.

I'm sure earlier in this thread there is about 2 pages of you lot saying how his signings were very good at the start of the season.

So is that the fickle bunch turned on the team already? Barely two months into the season.

The signings weren't too bad on paper. Unfortunately it's hard to argue with the results so far.

I didn't see the game last night, so maybe that's why I still have a sliver of hope that our season will at least be better than last season. I think we do have some pretty good players to be perfectly honest. Perhaps the issue lies with the amount of new players brought in, and the "chemistry" of the team. I'd usually regard that sort of comment as poppycock, but lets keep the faith until the end of the year at least. Last night was just an unfortunate and extremely emabrassing blip.

• Upvote 1

The problem isn't the talent of the group, well not entirely. They've played some decent stuff at times this season. The problem, the perennial problem for over 20 years, is in the head....and as per my previous post, I think the fans are culpable in this. Players are only human, and don't respond favourably to the sort of insults they're exposed to every single week by know-nothing idiots who just get increasingly aggressive with every bad result. Unfortunately, these people will never accept any responsibility for this, so on and on and on and on it goes.

I'll wager that the definition of "support" in the dictionary says nothing about abuse, moaning etc, and plenty about cajoling and encouragement. Sadly we do far too much of the former, and fuck all of the latter.

I haven't been to any games this season, so I can't really sit and pick holes in the team and speculate as to what's wrong, but it's pretty obvious something is before we're 10th in the league and out of the cup to East Fife. Like Chris said, Brown's signings looked good on paper, with the squad we have we should be a lot higher up the league than we are, so something's obviously not clicking somewhere and Brown needs to figure it out quickly, or we are going to get sucked into a relegation battle. And frankly without a stick-on dud like Hamilton Accies in the league this season to act as a safety net for us, I wouldn't fancy our chances if we did. Traditionally though we start we the season slow and them come on to form after Christmas, I'm holding onto the hope that it's just a patchy start while all the new signing settle in and we'll still come good....

The problem isn't the talent of the group, well not entirely. They've played some decent stuff at times this season. The problem, the perennial problem for over 20 years, is in the head....and as per my previous post, I think the fans are culpable in this. Players are only human, and don't respond favourably to the sort of insults they're exposed to every single week by know-nothing idiots who just get increasingly aggressive with every bad result. Unfortunately, these people will never accept any responsibility for this, so on and on and on and on it goes.

I'll wager that the definition of "support" in the dictionary says nothing about abuse, moaning etc, and plenty about cajoling and encouragement. Sadly we do far too much of the former, and fuck all of the latter.

When players can't trap a ball or pass five yards then of course the fans will get pissed off. They have to pay extortionate sums of money to come see professional athletes do their jobs very badly and the fans will start to get annoyed. I am usually a very optimistic Aberdeen fan who won't boo his team or his own players, but even I was getting on their backs last night a little. I don't think the fans reaction can really be at fault for the result yesterday.

That being said, Aberdeen do have a cringeworthy home support. It's embarrasing. No singing, you feel like a nutter if you shout at all, at least where I'm sitting (RDS lower). The board need to do something to address this however and they just don't seem to care.