aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone

Hmmm. I can never decide what I think about Rangers going into administration if it was to happen. What do you reckon would happen to the state of Scottish football if something like that happened to Rangers? I doubt they'd go bust even if they entered administration but what's the rule again? Is it docked points? Rangers wouldn't get relegated if they had points docked, so they'd probably recover in a couple of seasons and be back up challenging for the SPL title - or am I being incredibly naive?

If Rangers did go bust and ceased to exist, what do you reckon would happen? Obviously Celtic and Rangers at the moment seem to be way ahead of the rest, but would Celtic's finances be hit if Rangers disappeared? They almost certainly would because the "old firm" always seems to be the package. Celtic sponsorship deals would never be as good without Rangers. Would that mean that Scottish football would suffer as a whole because of a reduced interest, or would it flourish because it would give other teams the chance to catch Celtic - also the added incentive of second place being up for grabs initially until that gap is bridged (if it could be bridged - I'm not sure?).

Part of me thinks Scottish football would be better without Rangers (and sometimes I think it would be better off without Celtic as well!), but then I envisage a sad demise into a standard of football lower than in Ireland - but then we seem to be heading that way even with Celtic and Rangers in the league. Would clubs be able to stop aiming at the old firm and be more sensible money-wise, and look more long term with youth development etc because the lure of short-term TV deals would surely not be as forthcoming - och, I'm bleetering now. Fit do you think is basically my question!?

Where is this rumour then? I did a (very quick) googlysearch and couldn't see anything relevant to Rangers threatened with administration that wasn't from 2009.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14757090

I've heard nothing about rumous of administration at all, but I remember reading in a newspaper somewhere about the tax bill being bigger than the £4.2 million that article suggests. Could be totally unfounded though. £4.2 million is still a lot of cash to stump up though

EDIT: Just found this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-13675873 Probably thinking it due to this. I have no idea if they won the tribunal or not though. If they lose/lost it the tax bill could be 'tens of millions' according to the article which fits in with what I though (I'm sure I read something like £20million tax bill)

I can't edit that post anymore (when did the 5 minute rule come in? Curse you new site!). Anyway the article says this

The possible bill is measured, rather vaguely, in the tens of millions of pounds.

Craig Whyte, as with Sir David Murray, says he's got sound professional advice that HMRC can be defeated in the tribunal case, expected later this year.

But the agreement dwells on what happens if that advice is wrong.

What's now clear is that the £18m debt transferred from Lloyds Banking Group to Craig Whyte's company, now called Rangers FC Group Ltd, will remain a debt at least until the HMRC case is resolved.

Yeah not editing posts has been part of the site for years now.

I don't think Rangers will go into administration. At least not this weekend. If they did it would be in the news for weeks before it actually happened. It wouldn't be something revealed on Celtic fans forums the day before.

Guest Gladstone

I don't think Rangers will go into administration. At least not this weekend. If they did it would be in the news for weeks before it actually happened. It wouldn't be something revealed on Celtic fans forums the day before.

Ah - so this is where it came from. That shit is on Celtic fans forums all the time. Usually right next to "I spotted Messi training with the Bhoys today - he must be coming in on loan" and "Celtic are getting a bye into the final of the Champions League because the organisers think it would be amazing to have the best fans in the world at the final"

It used to be much longer than 5 minutes. Before the switch it must have been around 30 minutes or longer. I usually have a disjoint between my fingers and brain and make loads of typos and errors which I usually don't notice until after I hit the post button so used to heavily edit some posts.

I think you are right though. If they were near administration they would be kicking a fuss about it in advance of it happening like they did before the club was sold to Whyte, not just quietly behind closed doors and spring it up on everywhere

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14757090

I've heard nothing about rumous of administration at all, but I remember reading in a newspaper somewhere about the tax bill being bigger than the £4.2 million that article suggests. Could be totally unfounded though. £4.2 million is still a lot of cash to stump up though

EDIT: Just found this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-13675873 Probably thinking it due to this. I have no idea if they won the tribunal or not though. If they lose/lost it the tax bill could be 'tens of millions' according to the article which fits in with what I though (I'm sure I read something like £20million tax bill)

I believe one tax bill is £60 million and another is £4.2 million. They've mortgaged their hot food receipts for the £4.2 million one but still need to raise a fair bit to pay it off and if they lose the £60 million appeal they're screwed. christy posted a good link on facebook earlier in the week to a site all about this but i'm too lazy to go and find it.

I believe one tax bill is £60 million and another is £4.2 million. They've mortgaged their hot food receipts for the £4.2 million one but still need to raise a fair bit to pay it off and if they lose the £60 million appeal they're screwed. christy posted a good link on facebook earlier in the week to a site all about this but i'm too lazy to go and find it.

I was given a link to a Rangers supporter forum the other day and had a read.

What they seem to think is there is another tax bill outstanding for years. Think they were paying players wages to offshore accounts and not paying tax on earnings.

The figures they seem to have and accept is the possibility of £20m, but also think there will be a £20m fine plus £10m interest charges on top.

The silence from Rangers when there is genuine concern is worrying. Rangers are more worried about people leaking factual court information than letting the support know what's going on.

Good. Serves him right. It was obvious he replied to all by mistake and made up some bullshit story about his account being hacked to try and cover his arse.

If anything his little hacker story just made things worse for him. Had he owned-up there and then he could probably have kept his job with a carefully-worded apology and plenty of arse-kissing, but oh no. Not Garry Cook.

I've disliked the tit from the day he called serial human rights abuser Thaksin Shinawatra (sp?) a "lovely guy to play golf with". Twat. And how about this slice of hell:

"How are ya, brotha?"

Twat.

A legal document has been leaked about Martin Bain's action against Rangers for earnings etc to the tune of about £1.3m or something. Within this it suggests that Rangers' tax debt is approx £49m. The document also suggests that Whyte has no money (similar to the what most Rangers fans fear). If this can't be paid then insolvency is highly likely.

That's the jist of what I could understand from the very legal jargony document.

http://rangerstaxcase.com/

I proper hate Liverpool, but they got a bit robbed yesterday. Mental handball from that guy who takes throw ins. Also, Charlie Adam is such a massive raging cunt. That mad scramble where the allegedly £20million footballer, Jordan Henderson, had about 17 shots on target in 5 seconds, all whilst Luis Suarez was wide open, then Captain Greed himself arrives just in time to save the day, where Luis Suarez was EVEN MORE WIDER OPEN THEN BEFORE, took a shit shot, then narrowed the angle for himself and took an even shitter shot from a stupider angle. Luis Suarez punched the floor with rage. I don't blame him. Actually, I do. He should have punched Charlie Adam's stupid fucking annoying face. Pass the fucking ball, you glory-hogging, gap-toothed, lager lout fuckpiss. Can't stand him. I hope he has a heart attack.

Guest Gladstone

I just remembered we were going to look at incidents in matches and comment on whether the ref called them right or not. I've only seen the highlights from the Rangers and Celtic matches this weekend, but there were a handful of incidents in the Rangers game in particular. Here's my verdict.

Dundee Utd v Rangers

Dundee United's penalty shout / yellow card for diving - no contact, the defender pulled out of the challenge before the striker got to him and he took a dive. Very good call from the ref because in real time I thought it was a penalty. Correct decision.

Red card - the stupid little fucker clearly made that "butting" motion towards Broadfoot. He didn't connect, but I don't think that's the point. Red card was the only thing the referee could give. Correct decision. Was glad to see zero theatrics from Broadfoot as well. He just laughed at the guy. I couldn't see what Naismith did, but Flood was lucky not to get booked for his run and shove at Naismith right in front of the ref just after the red card had been shown.

The goal - I thought Lafferty might have been just offside when I saw one of the replays, but the slow motion replay shows he was in line with the last defender when the ball was played. Correct decision again.

(United were very unlucky not to take something from the game, there were a few very near misses for them. On another day a couple of them would have gone in!)

Celtic v Motherwell

Think there was only one incident worthy of comment and it was Celtic's penalty shout when Forrest went down late in the second half. There was contact, but it was just two players coming together - the defender shielded the ball and Forrest went down. I don't think it was a dive, although he maybe did go down quite easily under the contact if that makes sense. I would say the ref called it right, by just waving the claim away. Correct decision.

So - a good show by the officials...

Guest Gladstone
Naismith is a despicable little prick, i dont think i hate anyone who plays for scotland except him, diving, cheating, complaining little tosser. Hopefully Kayal or someone breaks him in half on sunday. God he makes my blood boil.

I agree that he's annoying little cunt. Constantly moaning, diving about etc. Even more annoying because he's a really good footballer. If he concentrated on that instead of being a little fucking mink, he'd be even better. Every single incident in a Rangers match, you can be assured that he'll be right in there aggravating everyone.

That said, I don't wish any ill will on him cos I'm nae like that.

There are players as annoying as him in just about every team. Scott Brown winds opposition teams up no end as well - I wouldn't want someone to try and break his leg for that though.

I agree that he's annoying little cunt. Constantly moaning, diving about etc. Even more annoying because he's a really good footballer. If he concentrated on that instead of being a little fucking mink, he'd be even better. Every single incident in a Rangers match, you can be assured that he'll be right in there aggravating everyone.

That said, I don't wish any ill will on him cos I'm nae like that.

There are players as annoying as him in just about every team. Scott Brown winds opposition teams up no end as well - I wouldn't want someone to try and break his leg for that though.

But at least Scott Brown has a bit of cheek in him and a bit of banter, Naismith is just a horrible little person!