aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Marceo Rigters will be a good signing if we can get him. He'll be taking a pretty big pay cut though, and there's interest from MLS clubs (supposedly). He's fast as fuck and has a fair bit of football about him. He looked like a really good player a few years ago, but kind of rotted on the bench at Blackburn. I think he's exactly what we need anyway.

Barcelona's persistence really does mean they are going to get what is essentially a bargain in the grand scheme of things. If his fee should be compared to players of equal ability, as well as his age, he should be commanding 40million, minimum.

I don't agree with the how they've done it though. Constant badgering for 3 years now, every transfer window, yet not paying what Arsenal want. Fabregas has been unsettled for ages, and he was always going to end up going. It was just a matter of when. Good business for Barca, but they did it a shitty way. Cunts. Would have loved to have seen him go to Madrid, for the LOL.

Saying that, They should have saved their money and stuck with Thiago Alcantara instead. He looks way better. He can knock it around the Barca way, as well as smash the ball in from 1,000 yards away. Boof!

Surprised Barca are going to pay so much.

But they should though. Arsenal have continued to put out their valuation, and Barca have never met it. He's worth big money because he's one of the best attacking midfielders in the world.

I just hope it actually happens, regardless of the fee, so we don't have to hear about it ever again, until he yearns to return to his former club of his dreams, Arsenal, in a few years time.

Don't think Modric is going anywhere, and it's difficult to tell if Sneijder is either. Both clubs are denying any deal has ever been on the table, but Sneijder isn't. Speculation always happens but there can't be this much smoke, and no fire. United need him anyway. Carrick is mince. Fletcher is dying. Anderon is fat, and Gibson is Gibson.

If he really wanted to sign, and United really wanted him to sign, then he would have signed by now. He's probably still demanding a million euros a month, which won't happen. Inter say are trying to iron out their financial situation. It probably doesn't help that you're paying Sneijder 12 million a year.

Ah, this is referring to Ryo Miyaichi; a young Japanese winger Arsenal have on loan at Feyenoord. Good player and a fan of cones.

I don't think he's still on loan there is he? His work permit was granted on Tuesday so he might play for Arsenal this year.

Great player. Sensational talent was absolutely ripping up the Dutch league last year.

Marceo Rigters will be a good signing if we can get him. He'll be taking a pretty big pay cut though, and there's interest from MLS clubs (supposedly). He's fast as fuck and has a fair bit of football about him. He looked like a really good player a few years ago, but kind of rotted on the bench at Blackburn. I think he's exactly what we need anyway.

Have you actually seen him?

I can't imagine he's been on TV much given his club history. He's played for nobody of any note, other than Blackburn whom he played 2 games for before being punted out on loan to various places. His Wikipedia page reads 18 goals from club 141 games.....that's a Darren Mackie-esque strike rate.

I'll grant you that he did OK for the Dutch U-21 side, but he hardly looks like the 20 a season goal machine that we've been craving.

I'll grant you that he did OK for the Dutch U-21 side, but he hardly looks like the 20 a season goal machine that we've been craving.

That'll be Scott Vernon.

We need someone with pace and a bit of creativity about Vernon to create the chances for him that Maguire did last year (and chipping in with a few goals too would be nice obviously).

I'm pretty confident that with a couple of creative players and once he's back to full fitness (bear in mind he missed a lot of pre-season recovering from an operation), Vernon has the ability to beat his record last year (16 goals in all competitions - in a struggling side, no less).

But they should though. Arsenal have continued to put out their valuation, and Barca have never met it. He's worth big money because he's one of the best attacking midfielders in the world.

I don't think it's been a simple case of Arsenal having a valuation and Barcelona not matching it. I don't think Arsenal would have sold him for 45 or even 50 million two season ago.

Valuing players is nearly impossible these days. When you compare the prices of say Andy Carroll and David Villa you see that ability is not always the key factor.

Undoubtedly a good signing for Barcelona (and will please a huge number of fans) but I would be surprised if he starts half of the clubs matches this season. Unless there are serious injury problems. So if spending all this money on Fabregas stops them from getting hte centre back they really really need it could be a mistake.

Anyway, happy it's finally over blah blah.

Hopefully Arsene reinvests the money now on the right players and Arsenal will still be a match for the top sides.

Guillem Balague was chatting on Talksport last night about the Fabregas deal, break down of the fee is:

EUR 29 million upfront payment (in full)

EUR 6 million 'variables' (i.e. clauses dependent on appearances/success)

EUR 5 million of wages that Barca would have paid the player that Cesc has offered to include as part of the transfer fee to smooth things along

He was also saying that yes he is probably seen as the long-term replacement for Xavi (who has started to take a step back from non-crucial games with the national team etc - basically he's the wrong side of 30), but there is chat of Fabregas being used as a 'false 9', in the hole between midfield and attack and could well fit in with the existing system easier/better than most would think.

But the system last season mostly had Messi playing in the 'false 9' position, he did it pretty well too, scored lots of goals.

He's obviously a great signing for the future (Busquets, Thiago and Fabregas could easily be the best midfield around in a few years) and will be great for them to have next year too as last season they were sometimes limited in options. I just don't think he should have been the priority. Puyols legs are jsut about gone and they need more than just Mascherano and Abidal playing out of position as cover.

That'll be Scott Vernon.

We need someone with pace and a bit of creativity about Vernon to create the chances for him that Maguire did last year (and chipping in with a few goals too would be nice obviously).

I'm pretty confident that with a couple of creative players and once he's back to full fitness (bear in mind he missed a lot of pre-season recovering from an operation), Vernon has the ability to beat his record last year (16 goals in all competitions - in a struggling side, no less).

Sounds like you're putting an awful lot of store in Vernon being the guy to get the majority of the goals. We need at least 2 capable strikers capable of bagging a bunch of goals every season.

Mackie, Paton, Magennis and Megginson are the backfill for Vernon and whoever we end up signing - none of that foursome are going to score many. I understand the need to get a nippy forward to play with Vernon, which I absolutely agree with, but he MUST be a capable goalscorer, otherwise if Vernon picks up an injury, which he appears prone to, then we're fucked.

But the system last season mostly had Messi playing in the 'false 9' position, he did it pretty well too, scored lots of goals.

He's obviously a great signing for the future (Busquets, Thiago and Fabregas could easily be the best midfield around in a few years) and will be great for them to have next year too as last season they were sometimes limited in options. I just don't think he should have been the priority. Puyols legs are jsut about gone and they need more than just Mascherano and Abidal playing out of position as cover.

Thing is Barca showed last season that they only need 1 centre half, either Mascherano or Busquets are more than capable of playing there and they way barca play at times its prob more beneficial to have a midfielder who can pass playing there. As long as they keep Pique fit they will be fine for the season.

But one injury to Pique and they are left with no centre backs at all, which is costly. Pique works tremendously hard to keep the whole backline covered. They really need another 1 or 2 centre backs in their squad, regardless or whether or not they are still capable of beating sides with no defence whatsoever. They are practically unbeatable, but not completely. A proper centre back pairing would probably make them unbeatable.

Ryan Jack and Josh Magennis both scored last night in the Under 21 fixtures. They'll start banging them in for the Dons starting on Saturday. (or maybe that says that scoring at U21 international level is easier than domestic competition and Rigter's record there should be discounted). Anyway, I'm going to trust CB and AK to look beyond Wikipedia and make a decision as to whether this boy will enhance the team :)

Barca, Schmarca. Yawn.