aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Balotelli is a hero. Throwing darts and youth team players, failing to master the art of putting on a bib, getting his car impounded 27 times, swearing on live TV, tripping Edin Dzeko up, backheeled one-on-ones, mocking Jack Wilshere, giving a grand to a tramp, provoking United players after the FA Cup final, wearing a Milan kit while playing for Inter, being allergic to grass... there is no end to this man's talent.

This, however, is far and away my favourite Balotelli story: Mario Balotelli 'takes truant boy back to school and gives bullies ticking off' | Metro.co.uk

What a guy. I love him, personally. Football would be bloody awful if everyone was a model professional. Can you imagine everyone in the sport being as nice and polite as David Beckham? Awful.

Too right. Football needs more unrelenting egos.

Like CRonaldo

Check his unmistakable disguise and passable Manc accent at 0:19

I'd never realised just how one-footed Young is. I know Valencia is too, but he's quick enough to knock it on and cross without being tackles, or at least winning a corner. Young has to constantly cut back onto his right foot. Weird signing.

Good signing. *nods*

Gives them real depth to the squad. Yes they have Valencia, Nani and Park (I guess) who can play on the wing, but Obertan clearly hasn't progressed as much as SAF would have liked, so he's off. I expect Bebe will be off next summer too.

Essentially replaced a squad player that hasn't made it with genuine Premier League quality, whilst he's also still relatively young (boom boom). He will also improve at United.

I read somewhere that the average age of the eleven that completed the charity shield for Utd was 22. Pretty good going. Has Darron Gibson fucked off yet? Now that Cleverley's about, Gibbo can GTF I'm sure. Season long loan to Villa/Sunderland/Newcastle/Bolton/Everton with option to buy?

I LOVE FOOTBALL.

Young does give them depth, but it slows down a slick counter attack if he bombs down the left and has to cut back onto his right foot just to get the ball into the box.

Despite how completely two footed he is, it's a complete mystery why Nani can't operate as well on the left as he does on the right. Both his goals were with his left foot. Infact, most are, but he is considered to be right footed.

Good signing. *nods*

Gives them real depth to the squad. Yes they have Valencia, Nani and Park (I guess) who can play on the wing, but Obertan clearly hasn't progressed as much as SAF would have liked, so he's off. I expect Bebe will be off next summer too.

Essentially replaced a squad player that hasn't made it with genuine Premier League quality, whilst he's also still relatively young (boom boom). He will also improve at United.

I agree with this. But I will also add that Ashley Young is one of the finest set-piece takers in the UK, which is something Manchester United have lacked for a number of years. I think Young is a really good signing for United and I'm sure as the season goes on and his confidence increases, he'll settle down and we'll see him use his left foot to effect when it is necessary.

Manchester United have a really well balanced squad this season.

I agree with this. But I will also add that Ashley Young is one of the finest set-piece takers in the UK, which is something Manchester United have lacked for a number of years. I think Young is a really good signing for United and I'm sure as the season goes on and his confidence increases, he'll settle down and we'll see him use his left foot to effect when it is necessary.

I'm probably just being harsh on him because I've never really liked him or his annoying little face. One footed players annoy me as well. I cut Valencia some slack because he is a human bullet, so despite being a one-trick-pony, is one trick always works.

Berbatov doesn't get any slack, because he fluffs up countless opportunities by trying to poking it in with his awkwardly angled right peg, when he could be comfortably tapping it in with his left, if he could use it.

Young's now on the two-feet-or-GTFO list. He better shape up.

Yep - Jones and Smalling waiting in the wings to replace Vidic and Ferdinand; a Da Silva is clearly their first choice right back now, you would think Rafael but Fabio played there more frequently in the run-in to last season so who knows?

Smalling looked great at right back in the charity shield, he'll be 'doing a Wes Brown' at times, I would imagine, until Ferdinand actually falls apart.

Evra kicking about being Evra, Evans kicking about being Evans. At different ends of the scale, though, obv.

Difficult to see past United for the title. They have a core of experience with a young, hungry batch of players around them - all of whom want to win things.

I'm probably just being harsh on him because I've never really liked him or his annoying little face. One footed players annoy me as well. I cut Valencia some slack because he is a human bullet, so despite being a one-trick-pony, is one trick always works.

Berbatov doesn't get any slack, because he fluffs up countless opportunities by trying to poking it in with his awkwardly angled right peg, when he could be comfortably tapping it in with his left, if he could use it.

Young's now on the two-feet-or-GTFO list. He better shape up.

I have "You're The One That I Want" stuck in my head now, you absolute bastard.

Smalling looked great at right back in the charity shield, he'll be 'doing a Wes Brown' at times, I would imagine, until Ferdinand actually falls apart.

Smalling played a handful of games for the reserves in midfield too. probably why he looks so comfortable on the ball now compared to when he looked like a deer in the headlights at Fulham. So, he'll actually be doing an O'Shea.

O'Shea?

O'SHEA??

hjDHKYp8Kn0ve143j4py3yaYo1_400.gif

It's stuff like this that makes me glad I barely read Aberdeen MAD anymore.

it didn't originate on aberdeen mad though.

there are plenty of other reasons not to read that forum though, all the negative relentless mackie/foster/milne/williemiller/manager bashing for one

it didn't originate on aberdeen mad though.

there are plenty of other reasons not to read that forum though, all the negative relentless mackie/foster/milne/williemiller/manager bashing for one

I went on at lunchtime to find about about this Vernon to Sunderland rumour. I read the thread about the singing section. Wish I hadn't bothered.

Dick Foster is utter mince, Absolute howler yesterday :(

Not sure about that. He's def an Aberdeen level player; you are kidding yourself if you reckon you can get a better full back than him.

Good sprint and tackle from Commons. Foster would have gotten away with that touch against any other SPL side.

Yes, a mistake, but defenders mistakes usually cost goals. Thought the backline held well. Arnasen and Considine looked good as a pairing.

• Upvote 1

If you look at Carrick, he does almost nothing but slow play down, which has never worked for United. See Juan Sebastian Veron.

I heard he is off to Sunderland for 300,000

(that would make more sense than Vernon)

Apparently Michael Higdon to Aston Villa will go through tonight....

Thought the Dons were unlucky to be beaten yesterday. It doesn't take a genius to see that we desperately need some attacking guile. At one point yesterday we had 4 centre forwards on the park (Mackie, Vernon, Paton, Magennis) and still didn't look anything like scoring other than Vernon's chance from Mackie's cross. We need a goal scoring creator (i.e. we need to replace Maguire).

Talking of Maguire I see he didn't start for Derby on Saturday. Anderson did and came off injured after 35 mins. He's been an injury disaster since he left the Dons.

Not sure about that. He's def an Aberdeen level player; you are kidding yourself if you reckon you can get a better full back than him.

Good sprint and tackle from Commons. Foster would have gotten away with that touch against any other SPL side.

Yes, a mistake, but defenders mistakes usually cost goals. Thought the backline held well. Arnasen and Considine looked good as a pairing.

I'd agree, i hated Foster, but he has come back a much better player then he left, plus he looks like he really cares, he was unlucky with the goal a heavy touch and it was his only mistake of the game. He isnt ever going to the best player in the world but like you say who better will come to Aberdeen.

He's terrible, has always been terrible in all the years I've seen him.

Good athlete, awful football player. He rarely completes a pass to a team mate. Maybe it's just me though.

I agree, Arnason and Considine looked very solid.

Aberdeen still haven't sorted out last seasons shortcomings, i.e no width or full backs, which is a bit alarming.

He's terrible, has always been terrible in all the years I've seen him.

Good athlete, awful football player. He rarely completes a pass to a team mate. Maybe it's just me though.

I agree, Arnason and Considine looked very solid.

Aberdeen still haven't sorted out last seasons shortcomings, i.e no width or full backs, which is a bit alarming.

Foster may have the odd stray pass and bad touch but he is one of our better footballers. I would suggest it is just you - particularly when your opinion contradicts that of Craig Brown and Walter Smith :D