aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Newcastle linked with Tranquillo Barnetta today. Would be an excellent signing for them.

Link says a muscle injury could 'scupper' a move, but if it's a three-week injury it's likely to be a strain and that in turn is unlikely to impact greatly on a medical.

Injury to deny Barnetta | Sky Sports | Football | Transfer Centre | Speculation

I don't know who he is, but he's awesome in FM2007.

• Upvote 1

You will like this Newcastle eye Manchester United winger Gabriel Obertan | Mail Online

Obertan and Bebe have looked poor whenever I have seen them. Not especially pacy, tricky or good at crossing. The complete winger then.

The perils of team photos -> David Edwards, Christophe Berra and Adlene Guedioura 'photoshopped' into Wolves team photo | Metro.co.uk

Bebe is pure mince, but Obertan has had some sporadic good performances. He's got some silky tekkers, and has made a few full backs look silly, but he lacks a bit of end product. Needs to play more for certain. He could be reasonable if he gets plenty of games under his belt.

Scored a screamer in the Champions League earlier in the season, and he's looked a lot more confident in pre-season. He used to be built like a whippet but he's beefed up alot. He's built like a house now.

Probably won't make it at United, but could be a handy Premier League player.

- skip to 0.33 - rinses 3 of them. Tekkkkkkkers.

Obertan looks to have really bulked up and worked on his fitness over the summer. He's looked dangerous in pre-season actually. I think he's got potential and it pains me to say that about any Utd player.

I don't think Bebe has yet grasped the fact he's not playing on the streets/his home anymore. He's a bit reckless but has shown glimpses of decent tekkers.

2 good signings in my opinion. A good amount of time at a well run club under their belts + desire to prove their worth + reduced level of competition for place in team = good performances this season.

Even when Obertan was poor, he showed great signs of technique and skill, but just looked a bit headless. I've not seen a single good thing from Bebe yet. His touch looks absolutely awful. Really heavy and careless, and he seems to blast crosses in as if he's taking a shot and aiming for the opposite touchline. Even for the reserves, where first teamers usually look head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch, he looks completely out of his depth. If he plays every week in Turkey, it could do him some good, but can't see him going back to United. I imagine he'll be sold at the end of the season.

Even when Obertan was poor, he showed great signs of technique and skill, but just looked a bit headless. I've not seen a single good thing from Bebe yet. His touch looks absolutely awful. Really heavy and careless, and he seems to blast crosses in as if he's taking a shot and aiming for the opposite touchline. Even for the reserves, where first teamers usually look head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch, he looks completely out of his depth. If he plays every week in Turkey, it could do him some good, but can't see him going back to United. I imagine he'll be sold at the end of the season.

I kinda disagree. He's rough around the edges, that's for sure. His crossing is inconsistent, his first touch is ropey. But, he's pretty decent with the ball at full pelt and chases lost causes like his life depends on it. A lot of his problem looked to be fitness and spacial awareness but I think there's enough there to work with and he could be a half decent player. He's got a nice physical balance between tricky winger and ball's out steam-roller. You'd think with a name like 'bebe' he'd be a nani/robinho lollypop merchant but he's not really.

Not for want of trying though. In that Carling Cup game against Barnsley, he made a right Emile Heskey out of a set of stepovers. Felt a little bad for him. I hope he does succeed though. It would be a real zero to hero story, but he just looks completely out of his depth from what I've seen. I agree about his work rate though. He charges after the ball in a Tevez like fashion. Watched a few reserve games he played a full 90 minutes in though and he looks like he doesn't really know what's expected of him. I think his problem may lie with the fact that he's not cut out to be a winger, as I don't think he has the sort of technique required to beat his man with trickery or with sheer Valencia-like pace. Perhaps he'll have more luck as a striker, due to his physical presence and willingness to try and latch onto anything.

I preferred him with his Ruud Gullit dread-mop when he first signed. Fergie was clearly having none of that.

The good news is Cambridge United thrashed Bishops Stortford 4-1 yesterday, the bad news is we're still playing meaningless friendlies.... so unfair! Our season finished before everyone else's last season and starts later! Still on the bright side it means I am still laced with pre-season delusion about our fortunes for the forthcoming season!

Hearts v Spurs should be pretty tasty.

Howler from De Gea. Why did he watch it come at him for so long? Terrible. I suppose they don't take long range shots in Spain. They just walk it in. He'll need to get used to those. And also crosses.

You do get some and De Gea conceded more than any other keeper in La Liga last season.

He's still awesome though, but he was always going to need a few more years to gain the experience necessary to be one of the world's best. The problem for him just now is that every mistake will be focused on and over analysed.

Cracking game for a community shield though and united's second was just superb. Don't know what was going on with all that pre-game stuff though. Why the hell were Reef playing live on the pitch?

I thought the dons were decent. I can't not compare against last seasons Celtic games so to look solid at the back was nice. I thought Arnassen (sp?) was great.

You do get some and De Gea conceded more than any other keeper in La Liga last season.

He's still awesome though, but he was always going to need a few more years to gain the experience necessary to be one of the world's best. The problem for him just now is that every mistake will be focused on and over analysed.

Cracking game for a community shield though and united's second was just superb. Don't know what was going on with all that pre-game stuff though. Why the hell were Reef playing live on the pitch?

I thought the dons were decent. I can't not compare against last seasons Celtic games so to look solid at the back was nice. I thought Arnassen (sp?) was great.

Haha yeah, I wasn't serious about no long ranger shots in La Liga. I've seen plenty from just Forlan and Ronaldo.

Great game, especially because City looked absolutely awful, and could barely get a touch of the ball. David Silva was very good, as usual, but everyone else just looked unfit, and completely not up for it. With the subs Sir Slex made at half time, I thought he was just giving up and thinking about the PL opener, but Cleverley bossed the midfield, and Jones was a brick wall. Even Calamity Evans was awesome, made some crucial challenges.

Who on earth is going to start on the right wing for United now? Nani's finishes were supreme. The cheeky lob on the second goal, after the Bolton style passing was terrific. Valencia is still the BOSS though.

Arnason looks pretty arna-awesome. great signing so far.

we played alright but still need a new stirker + winger. good to be a bit more solid defensively. shame vernon missed that sitter though.

Arnason looks good indeed, I think he'll be an important player this season. We need to get the Clark, Mawene and Fyvie back fit asap though.

The Aberdeen bench was paper thin yesterday.

Dick Foster is utter mince, can't pass for toffee. Absolute howler yesterday :(

Also apparently taking in a winger and striker from Fulham today..... or so the chat sites say: Charles Banyan and Lauri Dalle Valle.