aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Keepers these days just don't have the cojones they did back in the day.

I think you're right about less handling errors 10 years ago, but the inevitable reply is to do with the ball moving more in the air and being difficult to handle due to whatever fancy panelling and stitching is on it. If you remember the world cup last year no one could cross the thing. That is a very extreme example but I would be surprised if the PL balls behaved exactly the same as the ones from ten years ago.

I also think the general standard of keepers was higher 10 years ago when you look at handling. The premiership had lots of solid goalies in those days, Arguably not the shot stopping and reactions of the modern bunch, but a lot less error prone

Saw that - he's awesome in comparison Gomes. Even at 40, Friedel is a reliable guy to have in between the sticks, and capable of some superb saves.

What has happened to this generation of goalkeepers? Outside Joe Hart, are there any properly top notch goalkeepers in England under 25? Has there been too much focus on the keepers being capable of playing a bit with the ball at their feet and not enough basic goalkeeping training? I mean, there are some cracking keepers out there in terms of shot stopping, but keepers coming out and flapping at corners seems to be pretty common, and most of the really good shot stoppers seem to be prone to far more balls ups than the likes of the "old guard" like Friedel, Schmeichel, Van Der Sar etc (I know that's only 3 but I'm sure there were more - Flowers is another one).

Maybe my memory is just shit and keepers back 10+ years ago were all prone to fuckups too, but it just seems to be more commonplace these days.

There are a few good, young, English keepers in the Championship at the moment in the form of Scott Loach (23, Watford), Jason Steele (20, Middlesbrough) and Frank Fielding (23, Derby). Hopefully they'll keep on improving and get to play regularly at a higher level in the next few years.

Guest Gladstone
Keepers these days just don't have the cojones they did back in the day.

I think you're right about less handling errors 10 years ago, but the inevitable reply is to do with the ball moving more in the air and being difficult to handle due to whatever fancy panelling and stitching is on it. If you remember the world cup last year no one could cross the thing. That is a very extreme example but I would be surprised if the PL balls behaved exactly the same as the ones from ten years ago.

Aye - I hadn't thought about the movement of the ball, but then don't keepers like Friedel who is still on the go make far less mistakes than the youngsters of today? If he can handle the new footballs, why can't these guys who grew up with them?

Woodsinho's pointed out a few young'uns coming up from Championship though - maybe the stupid Premiership just isn't signing the right keepers.

Scotland's still been producing a few good goalies as has been the way for years - probably something to do with being a bit of a fat bastard lazy nation. Or being shit at football so the keepers are busy as fuck. I don't know. Craig Gordon and Allan McGregor are brilliant keepers. Absolutely top notch, although Gordon has been prone to a few errors as well. McGregor is awesome though. More awesome than Gordon. Fuck me, my mind's blank - I can't think of the other good Scottish keepers, but there are more. Definitely. I need to go home and watch the tennis now I think - my brain has stopped for the week...

Aye - I hadn't thought about the movement of the ball, but then don't keepers like Friedel who is still on the go make far less mistakes than the youngsters of today? If he can handle the new footballs, why can't these guys who grew up with them?

Woodsinho's pointed out a few young'uns coming up from Championship though - maybe the stupid Premiership just isn't signing the right keepers.

Scotland's still been producing a few good goalies as has been the way for years - probably something to do with being a bit of a fat bastard lazy nation. Or being shit at football so the keepers are busy as fuck. I don't know. Craig Gordon and Allan McGregor are brilliant keepers. Absolutely top notch, although Gordon has been prone to a few errors as well. McGregor is awesome though. More awesome than Gordon. Fuck me, my mind's blank - I can't think of the other good Scottish keepers, but there are more. Definitely. I need to go home and watch the tennis now I think - my brain has stopped for the week...

See the point I added about the 'modern' goalkeeper. It does seem that the young keepers coming through have better reactions and shot stopping as opposed to handling when compared to about 10-15 years ago. It is a bit unfair to compare to Friedel and Van Der Sar as they have been exceptional for a long time and that is why they played on so late.

Ever since Fabian Barthez you do get a lot more cavalier goalkeeping, rushing off their lines to clear, going to punch corners that they should never be going near etc. In many ways it is as if they are being taught to attack the ball like a defender instead of sticking to the basics. If you stay on your line and only come to catch simple crosses it is a lot harder to make many of the errors commonplace these days.

Premier League clubs tend to not sign young keepers as first team options too often though. They tend to go for keepers at their peak, in their late 20's or early 30's so they are ready to slot right in. Though that theory will be shattered if United end up signing this De Gea lad from Atletico, though he has been playing in the first team for a couple of years now.

There are a few good, young, English keepers in the Championship at the moment in the form of Scott Loach (23, Watford), Jason Steele (20, Middlesbrough) and Frank Fielding (23, Derby). Hopefully they'll keep on improving and get to play regularly at a higher level in the next few years.

Joe Lewis (Peterborough, 23) is pretty good as well.

Joe Lewis (Peterborough, 23) is pretty good as well.

Yes, he's very good. I knew there was someone I was forgetting.

Point on Edwin van der Sar: It's easy to forget that he had his own battles with bad form when he was in his late 20s. A couple of seasons at Juventus where he made some very costly mistakes was what caused them to buy Gigi Buffon which led to him going to Fulham for their first season in the Premier League in 2001. Not exactly a typical destination if he'd been considered one of Europe's top keepers at the time. It was only during his spell at Fulham that he rebuilt that reputation.

Man U are reliant on pace, energy and quick breaks. Charlie Adam would slow everything right down imo. Can't see him fitting their style of play at all. He works hard, but he aint exactly mobile.

Aberdeen have signed Youl Mawenne, who is regarded highly. Nicely done, Senor Brown. Shame it's just a one-yer deal though.

Which football team should you Support? (Based on Postcode) -

Which Football Team Should You Support?

according to my current postcode it's Norwich City and just behind are Ipswich Town

according to the postcode from my family home it's Peterborough United but that's only cos it only includes league clubs! Since they are Cambridge United's still arch rivals despite 3 leagues between us, ruddy insulted by that conclusion!

I had about 10 post codes between the ages of 0 and 15. From the house where my dad has lived for about 20 years I get this:

1. Leeds United (6.2 m)

Elland Road

2. Huddersfield Town (6.8 m)

Galpharm Stadium

3. Bradford City (9.8 m)

Coral Windows Stadium

4. Barnsley (11.3 m)

Oakwell

5. Sheffield Wednesday (19.9 m)

Hillsborough

6. Rotherham United (21.8 m)

Don Valley Stadium

7. Sheffield United (23.0 m)

Bramall Lane

8. Oldham Athletic (23.1 m)

Boundary Park

9. Rochdale (23.7 m)

Spotland

10. Doncaster Rovers (24.0 m)

Keepmoat Stadium

And from the house where I went to high school, my most long-term address, I get this:

1. Barnsley (12.1 m)

Oakwell

2. Leeds United (12.7 m)

Elland Road

3. Doncaster Rovers (14.8 m)

Keepmoat Stadium

4. Huddersfield Town (19.6 m)

Galpharm Stadium

5. Bradford City (20.4 m)

Coral Windows Stadium

6. Sheffield Wednesday (21.3 m)

Hillsborough

7. Rotherham United (21.3 m)

Don Valley Stadium

8. Sheffield United (23.6 m)

Bramall Lane

9. Scunthorpe United (25.7 m)

Glanford Park

10. Chesterfield (32.0 m)

Recreation Ground

Dirty Leeds and the inbreds at Oakwell can fuck off.

BBC Sport - Angry Taarabt storms out of Morocco camp

Taraabt quitting International football because he didn't get picked. Sublime tantrum throwing. I can't wait to have him and Balotelli in the same league, at the same time, and on two occasions during the season, in the same game.

Infact, I hope Manchester City buy him for 500 trillion GBP, and play them in the same team together. What a riot.

Which football team should you Support? (Based on Postcode) -

Which Football Team Should You Support?

I've never lived outside the Aberdeen FC zone and I NEVER FUCKING WILL so Stand Free.

Regarding goalkeepers - do you think it matters what league they play in? Like if there are good English goalies in the Championship should they not get into the squad? If you have people getting shots on target and firing in crosses then you have to deal with them whether it is from Man U players or Scunthorpe players. Ken fit I mean?

The footy roots thing doesn't take account of despicable owners who make a mess of clubs though! I grew up a hearts fan and when I was in nursery/primary I only lived a couple of minutes from tynecastle. Lost interest when Romanov turned them into the Kaunas reserve team. Some of the things he has done are just mental. The worst was forcing Burley out when hearts were unbeaten and top of the league, then replacing him with a sex offender!

England were lucky to escape the first half only one behind. Clearly a stonewall penalty but had Djorou not lunged in they had no chance of scoring! The passing was shocking all through the team.

Crouch has decided not to play for England under Capello again because he didn't get a game last night. All these people who quit international football because they don't get exactly what they want are dicks.

They should learn from King Becks.

He'll still be available for selection when he's 88.

And he'll still be relinquishing his time off, on loan for a team still playing domestic football to keep himself in contention. DBeck is the king. He played a ridiculous amount of football during his loan periods to AC Milan then back to LA, just to try and play in the qualifiers and then the World Cup. Pretty sure he would have gone too if it wasn't for that horrible injury. Properly harsh luck.

Crouch probably didn't play because he's hardly scored in goals this season, and he's not as good as Darren Bent. Boo hoo.

Regarding goalkeepers - do you think it matters what league they play in? Like if there are good English goalies in the Championship should they not get into the squad? If you have people getting shots on target and firing in crosses then you have to deal with them whether it is from Man U players or Scunthorpe players. Ken fit I mean?

That's quite an interesting point. It'd be interesting to see what some goalkeepers with experience at different levels have to say about it - David James after a season in the Championship for example.

I remember that season Aberdeen started with about 6 clean sheets and i was calling for David Preece to be called up to the England squad. Clutching at straws...

Was it not the one where Elmander tricks his way past a few defenders in the box? I'm not sure, there were some great Bolton goals this year.

Too right. It's a shame they probably won't pose a similar threat next season now Elmander is off and Sturridge will probably be called back to Chelsea.